Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default So why isn't our "hardworking patriotic conservative" Gunnerwhining about this?

Gunner Asch wrote:

Not yet. But its on one of the back burners waiting its turn. I had
two weeks without any work, so I spent my time cleaning up machinery,
the back 40, getting my shop machines cleaned up and so forth. Then I
took in another load of machinery..sigh..then I had work last week and
was gone for 5 days.

But..its on the Do List. Maybe next month. Ive still got stuff to do to
the BMW scooter, and then the Honda..and then all spring to get the 1961
Indian up and running. I finally started it..sounded pretty good, for
not having been run since 1971...but it needs a lot of clean up, the
aluminum is pretty oxidized..any idea of how to clean up a bike engine's
metal work nice and shiney?

So many things to do..so little money..sigh

Gunner

As much as I hate to do it about the best way to clean up that aluminum
is to use standard polishing methods. I usually remove any parts that I
can if the engine is staying in the frame. Then spray with some GOOD
paint stripper to remove any of the old clear coat from the parts. Then
sand the rough spots with W/D paper and then start buffing.
Once you get the finish you want you can degrease the part real well and
spray it with a good clear. OR you can plan on doing the polishing
monthly!!!!

I did my XS1100 and parts of the Venture as well. Not a lot of fun but
the end result is worth it.

On the bearing situation, there are a few ways. The easiest way is to
bore the heads for the bearing halves, then drill a couple retainer
holes and install a couple brass pins to hold the bearings in place.
Used to be a very common way of retaining bearings in large engines.
Another way is to grab some Loctite bearing and bushing retainer and use
it...
Or since you will be cutting the parts to fit anyway you could simply
make them different sizes and use the step on the edge to retain them
and keep them in place. Just cut one bushing thicker than the other so
one side has a lip.

--
Steve W.