DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/289898-someone-got-good-deal-25-hp-compressor.html)

Ignoramus21294 October 20th 09 11:43 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

Someone got it for $200, outbidding me by $50.

25 hp ingersoll rand compressor.

http://69.20.5.106/2/D/lots/00000011...0720& RESIZE#

I was not too eager to bid due to size and hassle involved.
Unfortunately my trailer is occupied by a milling machine in need of
adjustments.

Gunner Asch[_4_] October 21st 09 12:31 AM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:43:32 -0500, Ignoramus21294
wrote:

Someone got it for $200, outbidding me by $50.

25 hp ingersoll rand compressor.

http://69.20.5.106/2/D/lots/00000011...0720& RESIZE#

I was not too eager to bid due to size and hassle involved.
Unfortunately my trailer is occupied by a milling machine in need of
adjustments.

A $1500 used compressor.

And yet the economy is great...right?

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Ignoramus21294 October 21st 09 12:33 AM

wrote:

Someone got it for $200, outbidding me by $50.

25 hp ingersoll rand compressor.

http://69.20.5.106/2/D/lots/00000011...0720& RESIZE#

I was not too eager to bid due to size and hassle involved.
Unfortunately my trailer is occupied by a milling machine in need of
adjustments.

A $1500 used compressor.

And yet the economy is great...right?

The economy is not great, but it is not terrible, either.

This was a very, very ****ed up auction, a lot of things were sold for
nothing. A very bad way to organize a sale.

That Dayton MIG welder, I won for $100, for example.

Karl Townsend October 21st 09 12:47 AM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

I was not too eager to bid due to size and hassle involved.
Unfortunately my trailer is occupied by a milling machine in need of
adjustments.

That's not still that Wells is it?

Karl

Gunner Asch[_4_] October 21st 09 01:09 AM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

wrote:

Someone got it for $200, outbidding me by $50.

25 hp ingersoll rand compressor.

http://69.20.5.106/2/D/lots/00000011...0720& RESIZE#

I was not too eager to bid due to size and hassle involved.
Unfortunately my trailer is occupied by a milling machine in need of
adjustments.

A $1500 used compressor.

And yet the economy is great...right?

The economy is not great, but it is not terrible, either.

It is out here in California. Shrug..

This was a very, very ****ed up auction, a lot of things were sold for
nothing. A very bad way to organize a sale.

That Dayton MIG welder, I won for $100, for example.

Maybe your economy is worse than you thought?

If I had any bucks..I could be buying all manner of machinery for little
money.

Saw a 4 yr old Fadal 16x30 CNC mill go for $5k last week.

http://www.fadal.com/products/vertic...c-3016-fx.html

Yes....$5k

Gunner

Steve W.[_4_] October 21st 09 01:53 AM

wrote:

Someone got it for $200, outbidding me by $50.

25 hp ingersoll rand compressor.

http://69.20.5.106/2/D/lots/00000011...0720& RESIZE#

I was not too eager to bid due to size and hassle involved.
Unfortunately my trailer is occupied by a milling machine in need of
adjustments.

A $1500 used compressor.

And yet the economy is great...right?

The economy is not great, but it is not terrible, either.

This was a very, very ****ed up auction, a lot of things were sold for
nothing. A very bad way to organize a sale.

That Dayton MIG welder, I won for $100, for example.

Tell the folks around here how great it is.
There have been at least 15 farms selling out and NONE of them wanted to
sell out.

Auction prices have been just about 1/2 of what things are worth.
How about $15,000.00 tractors in great shape for $7,000.00 or a NEW
disc-bine for less than $3,000.00.
We even have Amish folks selling out and moving out of the area.

How about this little item. Wal~Mart usually hires a lot of temporary
help for the warehouses and stores this time of year. They are not only
NOT hiring they are laying people off because nobody has money to spend.

They are stopping construction on 63 stores and two warehouses for next
year. Plus they are planning on shutting down a few stores as well.

--
Steve W.

Ignoramus21294 October 21st 09 02:00 AM

wrote:

Someone got it for $200, outbidding me by $50.

25 hp ingersoll rand compressor.

http://69.20.5.106/2/D/lots/00000011...0720& RESIZE#

I was not too eager to bid due to size and hassle involved.
Unfortunately my trailer is occupied by a milling machine in need of
adjustments.

A $1500 used compressor.

And yet the economy is great...right?

The economy is not great, but it is not terrible, either.

It is out here in California. Shrug..

This was a very, very ****ed up auction, a lot of things were sold for
nothing. A very bad way to organize a sale.

That Dayton MIG welder, I won for $100, for example.

Maybe your economy is worse than you thought?

Well, I will likely sell this Dayton MIG for good money. I bought it
for $100 not because the economy is bad, but because the auction was
bad.

I can likely sell it for several times my cost.

Michael A. Terrell October 21st 09 02:03 AM

"Steve W." wrote:

Tell the folks around here how great it is.
There have been at least 15 farms selling out and NONE of them wanted to
sell out.

Auction prices have been just about 1/2 of what things are worth.
How about $15,000.00 tractors in great shape for $7,000.00 or a NEW
disc-bine for less than $3,000.00.
We even have Amish folks selling out and moving out of the area.

How about this little item. Wal~Mart usually hires a lot of temporary
help for the warehouses and stores this time of year. They are not only
NOT hiring they are laying people off because nobody has money to spend.

They are stopping construction on 63 stores and two warehouses for next
year. Plus they are planning on shutting down a few stores as well.

K-mart is closing some stores, too.

Pete C. October 21st 09 07:57 AM

wrote:

[...]

Interesting, in the DFW area there is tons of activity, new stores and
shopping centers opening new construction starting, parking lots at
restaurants are always full, etc.

Gunner Asch[_4_] October 21st 09 09:32 AM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 01:57:15 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Lots of activity in So Cal as well. Lots of shopping centers doing
remodels, lots of cranes building government buildings etc

Only problem is...they are considering bulldozing brand new unlived in
housing tracts rather than trying to keep it up until they can even find
a renter.......those shopping centers are filled with For Lease signs
and they are trying desperately to get some tenants, government
buildings are filled with government workers who do NOT add to the
economy.....

Its all window dressing..painting the face of a corpse.

Gunner

Pete C. October 21st 09 03:44 PM

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well, here those shopping centers are filling up with tenants rapidly,
one huge new development is probably 90%+ occupied. The only store that
closed is Circuit City. New office condos are being build and filled,
new apartments still being built and filled, new houses, etc. The last
week I had my boss and a couple coworkers in town for a project, so we
were eating out a lot for lunch and dinner, and pretty much every place
we went was pretty well packed. It certainly doesn't appear to be window
dressing here...

SteveB[_9_] October 21st 09 04:57 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

Check out this site:

Locations all over the country. Some absolute steals if you have any money
to spend.

http://www.rbauction.com/index.jsp

NO RESERVES

Steve

SteveB[_9_] October 21st 09 05:04 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

"Steve W." wrote

Tell the folks around here how great it is.
There have been at least 15 farms selling out and NONE of them wanted to
sell out.

Auction prices have been just about 1/2 of what things are worth.
How about $15,000.00 tractors in great shape for $7,000.00 or a NEW
disc-bine for less than $3,000.00.
We even have Amish folks selling out and moving out of the area.

How about this little item. Wal~Mart usually hires a lot of temporary
help for the warehouses and stores this time of year. They are not only
NOT hiring they are laying people off because nobody has money to spend.

They are stopping construction on 63 stores and two warehouses for next
year. Plus they are planning on shutting down a few stores as well.

--
Steve W.

So, how's all this hope and change working for us, folks?

SteveB[_9_] October 21st 09 05:10 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

"Pete C." wrote

Well, here those shopping centers are filling up with tenants rapidly,
one huge new development is probably 90%+ occupied. The only store that
closed is Circuit City. New office condos are being build and filled,
new apartments still being built and filled, new houses, etc. The last
week I had my boss and a couple coworkers in town for a project, so we
were eating out a lot for lunch and dinner, and pretty much every place
we went was pretty well packed. It certainly doesn't appear to be window
dressing here...

I get around. Was in five states last week. In all, I saw LOTS of empty
businesses, lots of houses for sale, even some with MAKE OFFER signs and
that was the first time I have ever seen that on a real estate sign. Lots
of what looks like absolutely new never occupied strip malls that were
virtually empty. And I mean mall after mall after mall. Lots of large
anchor stores for big shopping centers empty. Stores where I used to shop
now gone. Tons of vehicles on street corners for sale. A garage sale at
every other house. It's out there, even if it isn't in your hood yet. Just
because you don't see it, don't be misled that it ain't there. I can't see
the Statue of Liberty from my house in Utah, but I believe it when someone
writes in and says it's there.

Steve

Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] October 21st 09 05:49 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:

[...]

It's still soft around here - the local Taco Bell is dragging their
feet big-time doing a 'Two side walls and a slab' total remodel from
the original Mission Walk-up design to the current large dining room
plan, because while it's shut down they don't have to hire workers -
Much cheaper to put up a sign referring you to the closest store that
franchisee also owns.

It's been six months plus on a job that should have been totally
done and occupied by now. I've seen restaurants go up on bare lots in
three months, open in four - if they have all their **** together and
ready, and all the equipment staged in a warehouse.

Vacancies are down a bit - but it's all "Pop-Up" stores for the
Holidays, three to five month short-term leases. Halloween costumes
and Christmas stores, Kay-Bee Toys trying out some new ideas, etc.

-- Bruce --

Pete C. October 21st 09 05:50 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

SteveB wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

[...]

I didn't say it wasn't out there, indeed it is, but it is in specific
areas and very well correlated with the political atmosphere in the
states over the past decade and change.

Pete C. October 21st 09 05:53 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

SteveB wrote:

"Steve W." wrote

Tell the folks around here how great it is.
There have been at least 15 farms selling out and NONE of them wanted to
sell out.

Auction prices have been just about 1/2 of what things are worth.
How about $15,000.00 tractors in great shape for $7,000.00 or a NEW
disc-bine for less than $3,000.00.
We even have Amish folks selling out and moving out of the area.

How about this little item. Wal~Mart usually hires a lot of temporary
help for the warehouses and stores this time of year. They are not only
NOT hiring they are laying people off because nobody has money to spend.

They are stopping construction on 63 stores and two warehouses for next
year. Plus they are planning on shutting down a few stores as well.

--
Steve W.

So, how's all this hope and change working for us, folks?

About as well as the mindless "faith" of the previous administration. If
we can ever get back to a sane center there might be hope for change.

SteveB[_9_] October 21st 09 06:00 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

SteveB wrote:

"Steve W." wrote

[...]

Dubya don't look as dumb now, is that what I hear you say? This current guy
makes Dubya look like Einstein.

Steve

Ignoramus31369 October 21st 09 06:02 PM

On 2009-10-21, SteveB wrote:

"Steve W." wrote

Tell the folks around here how great it is.
There have been at least 15 farms selling out and NONE of them wanted to
sell out.

Auction prices have been just about 1/2 of what things are worth.
How about $15,000.00 tractors in great shape for $7,000.00 or a NEW
disc-bine for less than $3,000.00.
We even have Amish folks selling out and moving out of the area.

How about this little item. Wal~Mart usually hires a lot of temporary
help for the warehouses and stores this time of year. They are not only
NOT hiring they are laying people off because nobody has money to spend.

They are stopping construction on 63 stores and two warehouses for next
year. Plus they are planning on shutting down a few stores as well.

So, how's all this hope and change working for us, folks?

You cannot seriously draw conclusions from these anecdotes posted on
USENET. Some people and some areas are going to do worse and some
would do better.

In the first quarter of 2009, GDP fell at the annual rate of 6.4
percent. In the second quarter, GDP fell at the annual rate of 0.7%,
which is almost imperceptible.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/nati...ewsrelease.htm

That's a very substantial progress and I would not dismiss it just
because someone is complaining that their local store is not hiring
temporary workers.

SteveB[_9_] October 21st 09 06:03 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

SteveB wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

[...]

We are perhaps in the best areas of the country. Here in Utah, we are below
the national averages in unemployment and other important areas. This is
because of diverse reasons. I know that there are pockets in the country,
but by and large, it's a ****ing jungle out there, and it is festering.
Inner cities have to be becoming unlivable about now. Store ammo and food.
The locusts are coming.

Steve

Gunner Asch[_4_] October 21st 09 06:10 PM

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

IVe heard a lot about Texas..and its actually doing ok. A ****load of
people have left California and moved there..along with company owners
and their companies.

Same with Georgia etc etc.. The Southeast with its minimal tax rates
etc etc has become the new Mexico as far as growing American industry
goes.

Monthly Review of the Texas Economy
September 2009

By Ali Anari and Mark G. Dotzour

The Texas economy lost 295,400 nonfarm jobs from August 2008 to August
2009, an annual job loss of 2.8 percent. Over the same period, the U.S.
economy lost close to 6 million jobs or 4.4 percent of its total nonfarm
jobs. The state's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate rose from 5
percent in August 2008 to 8 percent in August 2009, while the U.S. rate
rose from 6.2 percent to 9.7 percent during the same period.

http://recenter.tamu.edu/pdf/1862.pdf for the complete report.

Compare Texas http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.TX.htm
With California http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ca.htm

Grim...really really really grim.

California used to be the 7th largest economy in the world. We are now
down to something like 28th place.

Thank you Obama.

Gunner

Gunner Asch[_4_] October 21st 09 06:18 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:57:49 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

Check out this site:

Locations all over the country. Some absolute steals if you have any money
to spend.

http://www.rbauction.com/index.jsp

NO RESERVES

Steve

We actually had one between here and Bakersfield. I saw it..but never
stopped in. Scissor lifts were going for less than $500..they had
literally hundreds of them that came out of the metro areas.

I really really really need a 19' scissor lift....sigh

Anyone going to the Sacramento auction want to buy me one and trade it
out for machinery..Im up for it.

Gunner

Pete C. October 21st 09 06:50 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

SteveB wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

SteveB wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

[...]

It's pretty clear that the worst hit states are the ones that have had
anti business climates, have forced out manufacturing businesses that
they considered too low class for their foofy image, had big housing
bubbles and put all their eggs in high tech baskets like biotech.

Ignoramus31369 October 21st 09 06:54 PM

On 2009-10-21, Pete C. wrote:
It's pretty clear that the worst hit states are the ones that have had
anti business climates, have forced out manufacturing businesses that
they considered too low class for their foofy image, had big housing
bubbles and put all their eggs in high tech baskets like biotech.

Michigan and Indiana, then, would be exceptions.

Pete C. October 21st 09 06:55 PM

Gunner Asch wrote:

Compare Texas http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.TX.htm
With California http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ca.htm

Grim...really really really grim.

California used to be the 7th largest economy in the world. We are now
down to something like 28th place.

Thank you Obama.

I didn't vote for Obummer, but I can assure you that California's woes
do not in any way stem from 9 months of Obummer, they have been years in
the making.

Pete C. October 21st 09 06:58 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

SteveB wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

SteveB wrote:

"Steve W." wrote

[...]

No, that's not at all what I say. Dubya is/was as dumb as a rock,
Obummer is considerably smarter and can actually put a coherent sentence
together, but he is also way off base with some of his ideas as well as
lacking focus.

Pete C. October 21st 09 07:05 PM

On 2009-10-21, Pete C. wrote:
It's pretty clear that the worst hit states are the ones that have had
anti business climates, have forced out manufacturing businesses that
they considered too low class for their foofy image, had big housing
bubbles and put all their eggs in high tech baskets like biotech.

Michigan and Indiana, then, would be exceptions.

Michigan has been imploding for a decade at least. Indiana, well, I
don't know much about there, so I can't say what their troubles stem
from.

Steve W.[_4_] October 21st 09 07:12 PM

On 2009-10-21, SteveB wrote:
"Steve W." wrote

[...]

GDP doesn't mean much when the products don't get sold or end up in the
5- $1.00 bin.

Uh that is NOT the local store, It is in the Wal~Mart news that the
company sends out to employees and investors. I also get news about them
through my stockholders packages as well (only have 800 shares in WM but
I still watch what is going on)

The local stores have also not been hiring temps. Not just Wal~Mart but
ALL of the stores. This time of year is when the malls and stores
usually fill up with the one month wonder stores. They set up before
Christmas and close down a week or two after new years. I don't see many
of them either. You usually see 4-5 places opening just for Halloween
and they are not around.

You talk about "badly run auctions" being the reason why prices were so
low. The prices are low because there is very little money changing hands.

If you are so sure the economy is great why are you selling your
equipment so cheap? Seems like a welder like that should sell for 400+
in good shape. Why are you telling others to sell for LOWER prices? If
the economy is in good shape why lower the prices?

--
Steve W.

Steve W.[_4_] October 21st 09 07:15 PM

Pete C. wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
Compare Texas http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.TX.htm
With California http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ca.htm

Grim...really really really grim.

California used to be the 7th largest economy in the world. We are now
down to something like 28th place.

Thank you Obama.

I didn't vote for Obummer, but I can assure you that California's woes
do not in any way stem from 9 months of Obummer, they have been years in
the making.

Mainly by folks with the same ideas as the current bozo in chief.
Same problem with all of New England.

--
Steve W.

Ignoramus31369 October 21st 09 07:39 PM

On 2009-10-21, SteveB wrote:
"Steve W." wrote

[...]

I believe that GDP is based on products that are sold.

You talk about "badly run auctions" being the reason why prices were so
low. The prices are low because there is very little money changing hands.

There is two possibilities:

1) The prices were low ($200 for a 25 HP Ingersoll compressor) because
the economy is bad

or

2) As I said, the prices were low because the auction was ****ed up.

There is an easy (for the buyer) way to determine this, which is to
look at how much the buyer sells it for.

My own opinion, based on my recent experience, the buyer would
probably get about a grand for it, quite easily.

If you are so sure the economy is great why are you selling your
equipment so cheap? Seems like a welder like that should sell for
400+ in good e able to get about a grand for itshape. Why are you
telling others to sell for LOWER prices? If the economy is in good
shape why lower the prices?

What I say to everyone is, I have never been good at, or interested
in, getting the top price for my stuff. I am very good at getting
stuff for very little money, that is my strong suit, not bargaining
and getting top dollar for anything.

I actually disdain people who sit on their stuff for months, hoping
for a sucker to come by and rescue them.

This welder would never be worth a grand, not even in older times.

I think that I can get more for it than I am asking here, as
well. Selling this stuff locally to RCMers is a good way to meet cool
people.

[email protected] October 21st 09 08:08 PM

wrote:

http://69.20.5.106/2/D/lots/00000011...__.htm?LOCALE=...

[...]

Wouldn't be too quick to put all the blame there, CA has had a LOT of
help in state government in making it a place not very attractive to
do business in. Just the CARB regulations caused a lot of places to
go out of business or find more attractive business climates. Glad I
left going on 15 years back.

Stan

Steve W.[_4_] October 21st 09 08:44 PM

Ignoramus31369 wrote:

GDP doesn't mean much when the products don't get sold or end up in the
5- $1.00 bin.

I believe that GDP is based on products that are sold.

Nope, Based on total reported Production. It says that domestically we
produce X amount. However making 10,000 billion dollar yachts that set
idle isn't helping.

You talk about "badly run auctions" being the reason why prices were so
low. The prices are low because there is very little money changing hands.

There is two possibilities:

1) The prices were low ($200 for a 25 HP Ingersoll compressor) because
the economy is bad

The price an item sells for is the ONLY way to judge.

or

2) As I said, the prices were low because the auction was ****ed up.

There is an easy (for the buyer) way to determine this, which is to
look at how much the buyer sells it for.

You do know that at many auctions the buyers don't plan on selling the
items.

My own opinion, based on my recent experience, the buyer would
probably get about a grand for it, quite easily.

Then why didn't it sell for that at auction?
The only way you could say the auction was the problem would be if they
started all the bids at 5 bucks, then stopped selling while bidders were
still bidding.

However if they started the bids at $1,000.00 then dropped the start bid
by percentage (what usually happens) and didn't even get a bid till they
hit 50 bucks. I would say that is due to a lack of disposable income.

What I say to everyone is, I have never been good at, or interested
in, getting the top price for my stuff. I am very good at getting
stuff for very little money, that is my strong suit, not bargaining
and getting top dollar for anything.

I actually disdain people who sit on their stuff for months, hoping
for a sucker to come by and rescue them.

Why would they be sitting on it? If the economy is doing good people
would be willing to pay top dollar for good equipment.

This welder would never be worth a grand, not even in older times.

I think that I can get more for it than I am asking here, as
well. Selling this stuff locally to RCMers is a good way to meet cool
people.

Yep, Of course it helps if the people have extra money.
Currently I know what I have in cash, and I don't buy anything that
isn't needed. Mainly because I also see what is going to happen over the
next few years.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but I see this country dropping into a BIG hole
with the current people at the helm.

--
Steve W.

Pete C. October 21st 09 08:59 PM

"Steve W." wrote:

I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but I see this country dropping into a BIG hole
with the current people at the helm.

The previous administration sent us off a cliff, and this one is
furiously digging that big hole at the bottom of the cliff for us to
fall further into. Or as I call it, it's just the Great Global Tidy Bowl
Swirl(tm).

Gunner Asch[_4_] October 21st 09 09:09 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:10:25 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

[...]

Wait till January...Christmas is going to be very very rough on
retailers..many do 50-75% of their total years profit at Christmas..and
thousands will go out of business.

Their employees will go on unemployment..and the people that serve those
people will have to start laying off..all the way down the line to the
trucking companies that haul the merchandise.......

It should be a very interesting spring this coming year.....3-10 million
more on unemployment/welfare..more houses going into default....

And the ammunition manufactures are working 24 hours a day making ammo
that is still hard as hell to buy.

Its going to be a very very good year for undertakers

Gunner

Gunner Asch[_4_] October 21st 09 09:11 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:53:00 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

SteveB wrote:

"Steve W." wrote

[...]

Shrug...when all the Leftwingers have been bulldozed into mass
graves..there will be plenty of work for everyone else.

Its coming

Gunner

Gunner Asch[_4_] October 21st 09 09:12 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:58:20 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

SteveB wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

SteveB wrote:

"Steve W." wrote

[...]

Blink blink...you must vote Democrap if you can post that with a
straight face.

Gunner Asch[_4_] October 21st 09 09:15 PM

Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:55:51 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Compare Texas http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.TX.htm
With California http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ca.htm

Grim...really really really grim.

California used to be the 7th largest economy in the world. We are now
down to something like 28th place.

Thank you Obama.

I didn't vote for Obummer, but I can assure you that California's woes
do not in any way stem from 9 months of Obummer, they have been years in
the making.

Of course they have. Obama simply pushed them off the ledge.

And its still a long long way to the bottom.

Gunner

Ignoramus31369 October 21st 09 09:44 PM

On 2009-10-21, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus31369 wrote:
GDP doesn't mean much when the products don't get sold or end up in the
5- $1.00 bin.

I believe that GDP is based on products that are sold.

Nope, Based on total reported Production. It says that domestically we
produce X amount. However making 10,000 billion dollar yachts that set
idle isn't helping.

Wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gdp

``... it is equal to the total expenditures for all final goods and services
produced within the country in a stipulated period of time (usually a
365-day year). ''

In other words, it is based on SOLD goods.

Because it was a ****ed up auction.

The only way you could say the auction was the problem would be if they
started all the bids at 5 bucks, then stopped selling while bidders were
still bidding.

Keep in mind that it was not ebay, it was a liquidation auction. The
auction and auctioneer were in Pennsylvania. Half of the goods,
though, were in Illinois, where I reside.

There were only approximately 3 bidders in that auction who bid on
Illinois stuff. Me, some printing equipment dealer, guy from
Pennsylvania, and another Russian with userid "udacha". (my
interpretation)

The Pennsylvania guy was mostly interested in printing equipment, and
I was not because it is out of my area of competence. So, it was me
bidding against "udacha". udacha got all compressors, rotary screw and
reciprocating, I got some other things.

However if they started the bids at $1,000.00 then dropped the start
bid by percentage (what usually happens) and didn't even get a bid
till they hit 50 bucks. I would say that is due to a lack of
disposable income.

I am fairly certain that all buyers in this auction were interested in
resale and were not the end users.

What I say to everyone is, I have never been good at, or interested
in, getting the top price for my stuff. I am very good at getting
stuff for very little money, that is my strong suit, not bargaining
and getting top dollar for anything.

I actually disdain people who sit on their stuff for months, hoping
for a sucker to come by and rescue them.

Why would they be sitting on it? If the economy is doing good people
would be willing to pay top dollar for good equipment.

We have a loser on our local Craigslist that tries to sell an old
hydraulic jack for $69. This is more than this jack is worth new from
Sears. And yet he is there, asking for $69 and saying "moving, must
sell". He has been doing this for 1.5 years.

This is the kind of people I am talking about.

This welder would never be worth a grand, not even in older times.

I think that I can get more for it than I am asking here, as
well. Selling this stuff locally to RCMers is a good way to meet cool
people.

Yep, Of course it helps if the people have extra money. Currently I
know what I have in cash, and I don't buy anything that isn't
needed. Mainly because I also see what is going to happen over the
next few years.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but I see this country dropping into a BIG hole
with the current people at the helm.

You may also lose that cash due to inflation. Be careful.

The time to be fearful is when others are greedy, and the time to be
greedy is when others are fearful. Right now people (like you) are
fearful, avoid buying stuff, houses, etc, and this presents a good
opportunity to those who have cash.

Ignoramus31369 October 21st 09 09:51 PM

On 2009-10-21, Pete C. wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but I see this country dropping into a BIG hole
with the current people at the helm.

The previous administration sent us off a cliff, and this one is
furiously digging that big hole at the bottom of the cliff for us to
fall further into. Or as I call it, it's just the Great Global Tidy Bowl
Swirl(tm).

I try to approach life as an analyst, as opposed to a partisan.
Sometimes I succeed at that, and sometimes I do not.

My analyst side of the brain describes current events as "continued
destruction of imaginary wealth". When I mean by this is that the
trade deficit and collective borrowing by the US affected prices, as
well as incomes, in a way that made us think that we are wealthier
than we are.

However, in the long run, for a nation, wealth is defined by its
productive and income generating capacity, and not by asset
prices. The capacity lagged this increae in perceived wealth.

Now we are descending back to the reality, which is that we never were
as wealthy as we thought in 2007.

While the perceived wealth stemming from asset prices has evaporated
in year 2008, there may be more to this wealth destruction that would
eliminate the ongoing deficits. Its effect will be on exchange rate of
the dollar and prices of imported goods.

That would, hopefully, being us back to reality and would be a
healthful, although moderately painful, adjustment.