Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default free 7.5hp motor - probable weight? ball bearing or bushings? (fourpix)

I've been offered a free electric motor, "brooks" brand, apparently made
in England. I later intend to use it in a rotary converter project.
though it's here IN my town, making contact with the guy is "pretty near
impossible". presently await his call, or reply, which could be a few
more weeks (with luck).

meanwhile, here's the -only- four photos i have of it, the guy provided
these

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ent=motor1.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ent=motor2.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ent=motor3.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ent=motor4.jpg

meanwhile, guys, hopefully YOU can tell me:

how much this thing MIGHT weight, roughly? or, alternately, your best
guess would be 'more than I know now. question has mostly do do with
found two 'similar-looking' motors on ebay (or somewhere), one at 185
lbs, another at 196 lbs. that sound about right?

also, do the two grease fittings indicate this particular motor has
bushings 'instead of' ball bearings?

OR do the grease fittings near the endbells indicate -nothing-, other
than "this motor has grease fittings"?

thanks guys :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Probably weight 120-170 lbs, go run and get it. You can always alide
it on a 2x12 if you cannot lift it. Twi guys should be able to lift it
without problems.

Those heavy things (170 lbs), if I need to lift alone by hand, I do in
two stages.

Stage 1, lift it off the ground and put on a plastic bucket standing
upside down

Stage 2, lift it off the bucket and put on your tailgate.

Now, of course, I have a crane in my pickup and such puny things are a
non-issue to load.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

By the way, I find it weird that a 7.5 HP 1730 RPM motor was made in
254 frame.

As for your bearing question, look closer at the name plate. It says
Front Bearing 307, shaft end bearing 309(?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:31:26 -0400, the infamous dave
scrawled the following:

I've been offered a free electric motor, "brooks" brand, apparently made
in England.

According to the tag, it was made in Over There by a company from
Chicago, Illinoisy. It's good for 60Hz, though.

I later intend to use it in a rotary converter project.
though it's here IN my town, making contact with the guy is "pretty near
impossible". presently await his call, or reply, which could be a few
more weeks (with luck).

meanwhile, here's the -only- four photos i have of it, the guy provided
these

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ent=motor1.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ent=motor2.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ent=motor3.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ent=motor4.jpg

meanwhile, guys, hopefully YOU can tell me:

how much this thing MIGHT weight, roughly? or, alternately, your best
guess would be 'more than I know now. question has mostly do do with
found two 'similar-looking' motors on ebay (or somewhere), one at 185
lbs, another at 196 lbs. that sound about right?

It'll likely weigh only "about as much as a small horse." You'll
soitenly need a hoist for it.

also, do the two grease fittings indicate this particular motor has
bushings 'instead of' ball bearings?
OR do the grease fittings near the endbells indicate -nothing-, other
than "this motor has grease fittings"?

thanks guys :-)

Good question. Look up "307" and "309" bushings. (Hornady?!?)
http://www.engineersedge.com/nema_frames.htm
Baldors with 254U frames use 6307/6309 ball bearings. shrug

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:18:05 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:31:26 -0400, the infamous dave
scrawled the following:

I've been offered a free electric motor, "brooks" brand, apparently made
in England.

According to the tag, it was made in Over There by a company from
Chicago, Illinoisy. It's good for 60Hz, though.

Mr Ernest Brook Started producing motors in Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1904. I
guess you chaps were still getting electricity by flying kites in thunder
storms then. BEG

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6669 wrote:
By the way, I find it weird that a 7.5 HP 1730 RPM motor was made in
254 frame.

As for your bearing question, look closer at the name plate. It says
Front Bearing 307, shaft end bearing 309(?)

thanks ig, good point

I've been spending lots of time 'sleeping at the switch' lately :-/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-21, dave wrote:
Ignoramus6669 wrote:
By the way, I find it weird that a 7.5 HP 1730 RPM motor was made in
254 frame.

As for your bearing question, look closer at the name plate. It says
Front Bearing 307, shaft end bearing 309(?)

thanks ig, good point

I've been spending lots of time 'sleeping at the switch' lately :-/

So, did you get that motor?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

It'll likely weigh only "about as much as a small horse." You'll
soitenly need a hoist for it.

he he, thanks lar :-)

also, do the two grease fittings indicate this particular motor has
bushings 'instead of' ball bearings?
OR do the grease fittings near the endbells indicate -nothing-, other
than "this motor has grease fittings"?

thanks guys :-)

Good question. Look up "307" and "309" bushings. (Hornady?!?)
http://www.engineersedge.com/nema_frames.htm
Baldors with 254U frames use 6307/6309 ball bearings. shrug

guess they 'changed over to adding the six' prefix, or something, ay?
aww, whatever :-/

so, yeah, ball bearings, thanks ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

Mr Ernest Brook Started producing motors in Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1904. I
guess you chaps were still getting electricity by flying kites in thunder
storms then. BEG

Mark Rand
RTFM

hey mark

did you forget to add

"Mr Ernest Brook Started producing motors in Huddersfield, Yorkshire in
1904 and made this particular motor within the first year after that."

:-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:28:22 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:31:26 -0400, the infamous dave
scrawled the following:

I've been offered a free electric motor, "brooks" brand, apparently made
in England.

According to the tag, it was made in Over There by a company from
Chicago, Illinoisy. It's good for 60Hz, though.

Mr Ernest Brook Started producing motors in Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1904.

I sit corrected. (too lazy to stand)

I guess you chaps were still getting electricity by flying kites in thunder
storms then. BEG

I believe that Uncle Ben had sold that particular kite company shortly
after the 1752 demonstration, long before 1904, sir. A printer by
trade, he was still busy printing anti-Queen stuff and the Poor
Richard's Almanack between those dates, though.

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong