Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this mystery Pratt and Whitney tool ???

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
I think this is probably quite old, but so far I have no idea what it is
(or was part of) - there is another like it that has been sharpened to use
as a boring bar - clearly that was not its original purpose. the one
pictured in the drop box appears to be original - but orignal what, is the
question.

here are the links to the drop box:
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/P-W-1.JPG
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/P-W-2.JPG
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/P-W-1.txt

Anyone got any clues about this item?

The text file from the drop box is reproduced below:

Mystery Pratt & Whitney tool - the cylindrical shank is exactly .500
inches, it says on the

shank, the following:

NO. 32
HS.-36
E-12

P&W
MFD CT
Made in USA

it is NOT a drill bit. The part that extends beyond the 1/2 inch diameter
shows a wear line

like it was riding in a keyway. The point seems to be lathe turned, the
1/2 inch shank

appears to be ground
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

--

I've written Pratt and Whitney - we shall see if they have an answer -
meanwhile, here is my latest "brilliant" speculation - the ground part is

Now, if my speculation were true, the ground 1/2 inch part would be just
under 1/2 inch so it would be a sliding fit - so I got out my best measuring
tool, an SPI digital micrometer that claims .00005 inch accuracy and I
measured it - sure enough,. 0.49950 - so it is 1/2 thousandth undersize.

This site shows some keyway width gauges
http://www.jayeshentp.com/products.htm which don't look like this at all

There is possible wear on the part that extends farther - it is .695 inches
in diameter - and it goes from .18360 to .19220 - which nicely spans 3/16
(.1875).

Ya think this could be it?