DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gold... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/286971-gold.html)

cavelamb September 13th 09 02:21 AM

Gold...

The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Closing price was about $1005.

No Name September 13th 09 12:13 PM

Gold...

Ron Paul want's to go back on the Gold Standard. Due to Inflation. I think
it's a good idea.

m...

cavelamb September 13th 09 04:54 PM

Gold...

wrote:
Ron Paul want's to go back on the Gold Standard. Due to Inflation. I think
it's a good idea.

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Closing price was about $1005.

As we have discussed here in the (recent) past....
It's simply not possible.
There is just not enough gold to cover the money in circulation.

I keep and eye on the spot price as a "Panic Index".
And people are definitely in a full arm-waving panic!

John R. Carroll[_3_] September 13th 09 06:01 PM

Gold...

cavelamb wrote:
wrote:
Ron Paul want's to go back on the Gold Standard. Due to Inflation.
I think it's a good idea.

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Closing price was about $1005.

As we have discussed here in the (recent) past....
It's simply not possible.
There is just not enough gold to cover the money in circulation.

I keep and eye on the spot price as a "Panic Index".
And people are definitely in a full arm-waving panic!

I remember when this happened with POGS, and for the same reason.
Ammunition seems to be folowing a similar trend.

It's really something when five percent of the adult population reverts to
behaving like thirteen year old's.

--
John R. Carroll

Wes[_2_] September 13th 09 08:19 PM

Gold...

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's really something when five percent of the adult population reverts to
behaving like thirteen year old's.

Ammo does seem to have more lasting value than our currency atm.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Ignoramus21664 September 13th 09 09:34 PM

Gold...

On 2009-09-13, Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's really something when five percent of the adult population reverts to
behaving like thirteen year old's.

Ammo does seem to have more lasting value than our currency atm.

This all depends on the price you pay.

If you pay much more than the cost to manufacture ammo, eventually you
will lose money.

Larry Jaques September 14th 09 03:56 AM

Gold...

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:34:42 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus21664
scrawled the following:

On 2009-09-13, Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's really something when five percent of the adult population reverts to
behaving like thirteen year old's.

Ammo does seem to have more lasting value than our currency atm.

This all depends on the price you pay.

If you pay much more than the cost to manufacture ammo, eventually you
will lose money.

Figure in the satisfaction of use and you always have a winner, Ig.

--
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite
at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.

Ignoramus21664 September 14th 09 04:50 AM

Gold...

On 2009-09-13, Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's really something when five percent of the adult population reverts to
behaving like thirteen year old's.

Ammo does seem to have more lasting value than our currency atm.

This all depends on the price you pay.

If you pay much more than the cost to manufacture ammo, eventually you
will lose money.

Figure in the satisfaction of use and you always have a winner, Ig.

There are many great ways to spend money and have fun, but I would not
call it investing.

I have many thousands of rounds of certain kinds of ammo.

SteveB[_9_] September 14th 09 04:57 AM

Gold...

"Ignoramus21664" wrote

I have many thousands of rounds of certain kinds of ammo.

Be careful. Big Brother may be watching .............

Stupendous Man September 14th 09 05:47 AM

Gold...

The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Great. That means more rude, greedy tourists are coming to tresspass.
Hopefully the weather will change and the water levels will go up in the
creeks.

--
Stupendous Man,
In the "Mother Lode"

Larry Jaques September 14th 09 03:10 PM

Gold...

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 22:50:31 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus21664
scrawled the following:

On 2009-09-13, Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's really something when five percent of the adult population reverts to
behaving like thirteen year old's.

Ammo does seem to have more lasting value than our currency atm.

This all depends on the price you pay.

If you pay much more than the cost to manufacture ammo, eventually you
will lose money.

Figure in the satisfaction of use and you always have a winner, Ig.

There are many great ways to spend money and have fun, but I would not
call it investing.

I have many thousands of rounds of certain kinds of ammo.

Insurance is investing. Insurance takes all kinds of forms.

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."

Gunner Asch[_4_] September 14th 09 06:11 PM

Gold...

On 2009-09-13, Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's really something when five percent of the adult population reverts to
behaving like thirteen year old's.

Ammo does seem to have more lasting value than our currency atm.

This all depends on the price you pay.

If you pay much more than the cost to manufacture ammo, eventually you
will lose money.

Figure in the satisfaction of use and you always have a winner, Ig.

There are many great ways to spend money and have fun, but I would not
call it investing.

I have many thousands of rounds of certain kinds of ammo.

Insurance is investing. Insurance takes all kinds of forms.

Indeed it does.

Gunner, with a round or three, neatly tucked away......
"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Richard the Dreaded Libertarian September 15th 09 09:41 PM

Gold...

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:01:24 -0800, John R. Carroll wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
wrote:
Ron Paul want's to go back on the Gold Standard. Due to Inflation. I
think it's a good idea.

There is no apostrophe in "wants".

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Closing price was about $1005.

As we have discussed here in the (recent) past.... It's simply not
possible.
There is just not enough gold to cover the money in circulation.

I keep and eye on the spot price as a "Panic Index". And people are
definitely in a full arm-waving panic!

I remember when this happened with POGS, and for the same reason.
Ammunition seems to be folowing a similar trend.

It's really something when five percent of the adult population reverts to
behaving like thirteen year old's.

Not to mention the 51% that are behaving like three-year-olds. (BTW, the
apostrophe is also inappropriate in this context.)

Thanks,
Rich

Richard the Dreaded Libertarian September 15th 09 09:43 PM

Gold...

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 07:10:05 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Insurance is investing. Insurance takes all kinds of forms.

Insurance is an insane form of gambling. The only way to win is to lose.

Cheers!
Rich

cavelamb September 16th 09 12:48 AM

Gold...

cavelamb wrote:
wrote:
Ron Paul want's to go back on the Gold Standard. Due to Inflation. I
think it's a good idea.

There is no apostrophe in "wants".

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Closing price was about $1005.
As we have discussed here in the (recent) past.... It's simply not
possible.
There is just not enough gold to cover the money in circulation.

I keep and eye on the spot price as a "Panic Index". And people are
definitely in a full arm-waving panic!

I remember when this happened with POGS, and for the same reason.
Ammunition seems to be folowing a similar trend.

It's really something when five percent of the adult population reverts to
behaving like thirteen year old's.

Not to mention the 51% that are behaving like three-year-olds. (BTW, the
apostrophe is also inappropriate in this context.)

Thanks,
Rich

The three year olds are doing it again today.
A 20 dollar surge!

John R. Carroll[_3_] September 16th 09 03:17 AM

Gold...

cavelamb wrote:
wrote:
Ron Paul want's to go back on the Gold Standard. Due to
Inflation. I think it's a good idea.

There is no apostrophe in "wants".

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Closing price was about $1005.
As we have discussed here in the (recent) past.... It's simply not
possible.
There is just not enough gold to cover the money in circulation.

I keep and eye on the spot price as a "Panic Index". And people are
definitely in a full arm-waving panic!
I remember when this happened with POGS, and for the same reason.
Ammunition seems to be folowing a similar trend.

It's really something when five percent of the adult population
reverts to behaving like thirteen year old's.

Not to mention the 51% that are behaving like three-year-olds. (BTW,
the apostrophe is also inappropriate in this context.)

Thanks,
Rich

The three year olds are doing it again today.
A 20 dollar surge!

They are indeed.
How many POGS would could I interest you in?

--
John R. Carroll

cavelamb September 16th 09 03:24 AM

Gold...

cavelamb wrote:
wrote:
Ron Paul want's to go back on the Gold Standard. Due to
Inflation. I think it's a good idea.
There is no apostrophe in "wants".

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Not me, Bud-dee.

I can't afford that game!

cavelamb October 7th 09 11:23 PM

Gold...

cavelamb wrote:

The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Closing price was about $1005.

Wow!

Today we are seeing $1050!

somebody try to convince me there is not some kind of
artificial push going on here!?!?

Ignoramus30647 October 7th 09 11:30 PM

Gold...

On 2009-10-07, cavelamb wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Closing price was about $1005.

Wow!

Today we are seeing $1050!

somebody try to convince me there is not some kind of
artificial push going on here!?!?

What is an artificial push? If a number of moneyed players decide to
buy it because they expect the price to rise, is that artificial?

Jim Wilkins October 7th 09 11:36 PM

Gold...

On Oct 7, 6:23*pm, cavelamb wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Closing price was about $1005.

Wow!

Today we are seeing $1050!

somebody try to convince me there is not some kind of
artificial push going on here!?!?

AFAIK 2 grams still equals a barrel of oil.

jsw

cavelamb October 8th 09 02:17 AM

Gold...

cavelamb wrote:

The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.
Closing price was about $1005.

Wow!

Today we are seeing $1050!

somebody try to convince me there is not some kind of
artificial push going on here!?!?

AFAIK 2 grams still equals a barrel of oil.

jsw

Oh...

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/200...year-2009.html

RBnDFW October 8th 09 03:32 PM

Gold...

On 2009-10-07, cavelamb wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
The New York Index spiked over $1010 per ounce today - twice.

Closing price was about $1005.

Wow!

Today we are seeing $1050!

somebody try to convince me there is not some kind of
artificial push going on here!?!?

What is an artificial push? If a number of moneyed players decide to
buy it because they expect the price to rise, is that artificial?

Are any of them named Hunt?

cavelamb October 8th 09 06:20 PM

Gold...

Yepper!

Dollar Woes + Gold Spike = Political Opportunity

The price of gold is up, the value of the dollar is dropping, and some
conservatives are blaming it on President Obama and congressional Democrats.

A Heritage Foundation blog post calls the news a warning to Obama and Congress
"that they are spending too much money." On Facebook, former VP candidate Sarah
Palin wrote: "We can see the effect of (out-of-control debt) in the price of
gold, which hit a record high today in response to fears about the weakened
dollar." RedState.com recently quipped that "The Dollar is the New Peso," while
RightSideNews.com (which describes itself as fending off "threats against
Western civilization"), worries about the dollar becoming a second-rate currency.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/10...ctionContent.7

Ignoramus19678 October 8th 09 07:11 PM

Gold...

On 2009-10-08, cavelamb wrote:
Yepper!

Dollar Woes + Gold Spike = Political Opportunity

The price of gold is up, the value of the dollar is dropping, and some
conservatives are blaming it on President Obama and congressional Democrats.

A Heritage Foundation blog post calls the news a warning to Obama and Congress
"that they are spending too much money." On Facebook, former VP candidate Sarah
Palin wrote: "We can see the effect of (out-of-control debt) in the price of
gold, which hit a record high today in response to fears about the weakened
dollar." RedState.com recently quipped that "The Dollar is the New Peso," while
RightSideNews.com (which describes itself as fending off "threats against
Western civilization"), worries about the dollar becoming a second-rate currency.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/10...ctionContent.7

Cavelamb, while there is a lot of merit to your thinking, I would
personally be a little careful in evaluating consequences of the
falling dollar. If the dollar falls, and yet the US avoids massive
inflation, this could actually be good for many industries and people
who are employed there.

cavelamb October 8th 09 08:10 PM

Gold...

On 2009-10-08, cavelamb wrote:
Yepper!

[...]

I do understand what you are saying, Ig.
But tell me how this is not going to lead to deflation???

Ignoramus19678 October 8th 09 08:40 PM

Gold...

On 2009-10-08, cavelamb wrote:
Yepper!

[...]

You meant inflation?

If so, a falling dollar may mean that some import prices will rise,
but that could be a one time effect.

John R. Carroll[_3_] October 8th 09 09:15 PM

Gold...

On 2009-10-08, cavelamb wrote:
Yepper!

[...]

America will simply end up "enjoying" a different standard of living.

--
John R. Carroll

Eregon[_4_] October 8th 09 10:15 PM

Gold...

"John R. Carroll" wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

America will simply end up "enjoying" a different standard of living.

"Enjoy" isn't the word - the word is "SUFFER".

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Eregon[_4_] October 8th 09 10:23 PM

Gold...

Ignoramus19678 wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

You meant inflation?

He does.

If so, a falling dollar may mean that some import prices will rise,
but that could be a one time effect.

You must be either v-e-r-y young or suffer from long-term memory loss if
you can't remember the massive inflation that the Democrats initiated under
Johnson: prices skyrocketed and never came down ($2,500 new cars went to
$25,000; soft drinks went from $.10 to $1.00; Property taxes went into
orbit; Interest Rates tripled for borrowers but dropped for
depositers/investors; etc.) and continue to go through the roof.

Your "One Time Effect" began in the late '60s and continues...

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

John R. Carroll[_3_] October 8th 09 11:46 PM

Gold...

Eregon wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

America will simply end up "enjoying" a different standard of living.

"Enjoy" isn't the word - the word is "SUFFER".

WHich is why I put it in quotes.
Welcome to ChinArica.

--
John R. Carroll

John R. Carroll[_3_] October 8th 09 11:47 PM

Gold...

Eregon wrote:
Ignoramus19678 wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

You meant inflation?

He does.

If so, a falling dollar may mean that some import prices will rise,
but that could be a one time effect.

You must be either v-e-r-y young or suffer from long-term memory loss
if you can't remember the massive inflation that the Democrats
initiated under Johnson:

Actually, he was an infant living in the USSR at the time.

--
John R. Carroll

cavelamb October 9th 09 12:09 AM

Gold...

On 2009-10-08, cavelamb wrote:
Yepper!

[...]

OOooo.

We havin' some fun now, boss~

cavelamb October 9th 09 12:14 AM

Gold...

Eregon wrote:
Ignoramus19678 wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

You meant inflation?

He does.

If so, a falling dollar may mean that some import prices will rise,
but that could be a one time effect.

You must be either v-e-r-y young or suffer from long-term memory loss if
you can't remember the massive inflation that the Democrats initiated under
Johnson: prices skyrocketed and never came down ($2,500 new cars went to
$25,000; soft drinks went from $.10 to $1.00; Property taxes went into
orbit; Interest Rates tripled for borrowers but dropped for
depositers/investors; etc.) and continue to go through the roof.

Your "One Time Effect" began in the late '60s and continues...

so solly - me bad...

Yes, In-, not De-.

I had empty brain syndrome again...

Prices coming down would be de-. (re above)
Well, I've got it straightened out now.

Won't have to worry about DEflation, will we...

cavelamb October 9th 09 12:23 AM

Gold...

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 12:20:42 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Yepper!

Dollar Woes + Gold Spike = Political Opportunity

========
also see
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28091.html

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

It worries me, George, that people would buy gold at the
highest price it has ever been - as a hedge against dollars
losing value.

Isn't that kind of a cause/effect/cause loop?

It makes no sense.

Richard

Mark Rand October 9th 09 12:36 AM

Gold...

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:46:30 -0800, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:

Eregon wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

America will simply end up "enjoying" a different standard of living.

"Enjoy" isn't the word - the word is "SUFFER".

WHich is why I put it in quotes.
Welcome to ChinArica.

Merely a necessary correction to an unsustainable condition :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Eregon[_4_] October 9th 09 01:14 AM

Gold...

"John R. Carroll" wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

Eregon wrote:
Ignoramus19678 wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

You meant inflation?

He does.

If so, a falling dollar may mean that some import prices will rise,
but that could be a one time effect.

You must be either v-e-r-y young or suffer from long-term memory loss
if you can't remember the massive inflation that the Democrats
initiated under Johnson:

Actually, he was an infant living in the USSR at the time.

Johnson was NOT living in the USSR but in that hotbed of Socialist
Stupidity known as "The Funny Farm On The Potomac"!

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Ed Huntress October 9th 09 01:39 AM

Gold...

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

Yepper!

Dollar Woes + Gold Spike = Political Opportunity

========
also see
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28091.html

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

It worries me, George, that people would buy gold at the
highest price it has ever been - as a hedge against dollars
losing value.

Isn't that kind of a cause/effect/cause loop?

It makes no sense.

Richard

Yup, but even more important -- when people buy gold when its price is
increasing at panic rates, they typically have to hold on to it for a decade
or two just to recover what they invested.

As they say, buy high, sell low...and you'll be in the tank before you know
it. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Eregon[_4_] October 9th 09 01:42 AM

Gold...

"John R. Carroll" wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

Eregon wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

Eregon wrote:
Ignoramus19678 wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

You meant inflation?

He does.

If so, a falling dollar may mean that some import prices will rise,
but that could be a one time effect.

You must be either v-e-r-y young or suffer from long-term memory
loss if you can't remember the massive inflation that the Democrats
initiated under Johnson:

Actually, he was an infant living in the USSR at the time.

Johnson was NOT living in the USSR but in that hotbed of Socialist
Stupidity known as "The Funny Farm On The Potomac"!

Indeed, but Iggy was.
Living in the USSR that is.

You need to be more specific! grin

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

John R. Carroll[_3_] October 9th 09 02:18 AM

Gold...

Eregon wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

Eregon wrote:
Ignoramus19678 wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

You meant inflation?

He does.

cavelamb October 9th 09 04:05 AM

Gold...

Eregon wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

Eregon wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

Eregon wrote:
Ignoramus19678 wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

You meant inflation?
He does.

If so, a falling dollar may mean that some import prices will rise,
but that could be a one time effect.

You must be either v-e-r-y young or suffer from long-term memory
loss if you can't remember the massive inflation that the Democrats
initiated under Johnson:
Actually, he was an infant living in the USSR at the time.

Johnson was NOT living in the USSR but in that hotbed of Socialist
Stupidity known as "The Funny Farm On The Potomac"!

Indeed, but Iggy was.
Living in the USSR that is.

You need to be more specific! grin

Hey, I was keeping my head down in case it was me!

Actually, I have been to the USSR (1988 - just before the collapse).
We spent 10 days or so, mostly in Tallin, Extonia, but a few days in
Moscow coming and going.

Moscow was - "different".
Great people - big hearted, kind, and ignorant as dirt.

Institutionalized poverty.

I'd hate to live there.

Richard