Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is a "stab"

My electrical panel I am putting up says "do not but more than 150
amps on one stab" or somethign to that effect.

Is this just saying not to use a circuit breaker over 150 amps ? (This
is a 100 amp panel).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
My electrical panel I am putting up says "do not but more than 150
amps on one stab" or somethign to that effect.

Is this just saying not to use a circuit breaker over 150 amps ? (This
is a 100 amp panel).

is there an 800 # on your panel or instructions for your panel?

i'd suggest using it, or use google to find the contact information for the
maker of your panel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"charlie" wrote in message

"stryped" wrote in message
My electrical panel I am putting up says "do not but more than 150
amps on one stab" or somethign to that effect.

Is this just saying not to use a circuit breaker over 150 amps ? (This
is a 100 amp panel).

is there an 800 # on your panel or instructions for your panel?

i'd suggest using it, or use google to find the contact information for
the maker of your panel.

What he said +

http://books.google.com/books?id=Djn...0bus&f=fa lse

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 10, 5:19 am, stryped wrote:
My electrical panel I am putting up says "do not but more than 150
amps on one stab" or somethign to that effect.

Is this just saying not to use a circuit breaker over 150 amps ? (This
is a 100 amp panel).

The breakers connect to one of two busbars, one for each hot side/
line. Don't add a total of 150+ amps to one side, e.g., not more than
10 x 15 Amp breakers on one side of the line. Also, try to
intelligently balance things out as much as you can. Don't put all of
the kitchen breakers on one side, for example, since they aren't split
any more.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 10, 12:36*pm, N Morrison wrote:
On Sep 10, 5:19 am, stryped wrote:

My electrical panel I am putting up says "do not but more than 150
amps on one stab" or somethign to that effect.

Is this just saying not to use a circuit breaker over 150 amps ? (This
is a 100 amp panel).

The breakers connect to one of two busbars, one for each hot side/
line. Don't add a total of 150+ amps to one side, e.g., not more than
10 x 15 Amp breakers on one side of the line. Also, try to
intelligently balance things out as much as you can. Don't put all of
the kitchen breakers on one side, for example, since they aren't split
any more.

So for 220 breakers do you just split the voltage since it is in
contact with both?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
My electrical panel I am putting up says "do not but more than 150
amps on one stab" or somethign to that effect.

It's the piece of metal that sticks out perpendicular to the back of the
panel that you press the breaker into.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N Morrison wrote:
On Sep 10, 5:19 am, stryped wrote:
My electrical panel I am putting up says "do not but more than 150
amps on one stab" or somethign to that effect.

Is this just saying not to use a circuit breaker over 150 amps ? (This
is a 100 amp panel).

The breakers connect to one of two busbars, one for each hot side/
line. Don't add a total of 150+ amps to one side, e.g., not more than
10 x 15 Amp breakers on one side of the line. Also, try to
intelligently balance things out as much as you can. Don't put all of
the kitchen breakers on one side, for example, since they aren't split
any more.

Little Quibble, the bars are interleaved comb-like and each bar serves
every other slot on each side, otherwise a two pole breaker wouldn't tap
both feeds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 05:19:15 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

My electrical panel I am putting up says "do not but more than 150
amps on one stab" or somethign to that effect.

Is this just saying not to use a circuit breaker over 150 amps ? (This
is a 100 amp panel).

They might use the same basic buss in a 200A panel, with a 200A
bolt-on main breaker or line lug set. When you use it as a 100A sub,
it is never a problem - the feed breaker wiill trip first.

See how you can put two 1" thick breakers (or four 1/2" thin)
back-to-back on one buss stab?

The total ampacity of all the breakers plugged into that one stab
can't add up to more than 150A, like two 90A thick breakers back to
back, or four 50A thin breakers in a square sharing that one stab.

If you overload it the metal of the stab will get all warm and
melty, and or the thermoplastic insulation holding the busbars in
place against the back panel will get all crispy and brittle and
smoky, and that is bad. Or worse, it will get all red and flamey -
and that is real bad.

This is one of those things that is obvious if you work with
electricity a lot, you just know to put all the heavy stuff on one
side and balance it off with a lot of light stuff on the other side.

But for the people who don't work with it everyday and therefore don't
see the problem, GE has to spell it out. They have to reduce the
chances you'll discover the problem on your own.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stuart Wheaton wrote:

N Morrison wrote:
On Sep 10, 5:19 am, stryped wrote:
My electrical panel I am putting up says "do not but more than 150
amps on one stab" or somethign to that effect.

Is this just saying not to use a circuit breaker over 150 amps ? (This
is a 100 amp panel).

The breakers connect to one of two busbars, one for each hot side/
line. Don't add a total of 150+ amps to one side, e.g., not more than
10 x 15 Amp breakers on one side of the line. Also, try to
intelligently balance things out as much as you can. Don't put all of
the kitchen breakers on one side, for example, since they aren't split
any more.

Little Quibble, the bars are interleaved comb-like and each bar serves
every other slot on each side, otherwise a two pole breaker wouldn't tap
both feeds.

If you can balance your loads so half of the typical average is on either side of neutral
( center tapped transformer ), your neutral currents sum to zero lowering your resistance
losses.

WES
Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

stryped wrote:

On Sep 10, 12:36*pm, N Morrison wrote:
On Sep 10, 5:19 am, stryped wrote:

My electrical panel I am putting up says "do not but more than 150
amps on one stab" or somethign to that effect.

Is this just saying not to use a circuit breaker over 150 amps ? (This
is a 100 amp panel).

The breakers connect to one of two busbars, one for each hot side/
line. Don't add a total of 150+ amps to one side, e.g., not more than
10 x 15 Amp breakers on one side of the line. Also, try to
intelligently balance things out as much as you can. Don't put all of
the kitchen breakers on one side, for example, since they aren't split
any more.

So for 220 breakers do you just split the voltage since it is in
contact with both?

Yes and no depending on what you mean.

A two pole breaker will supply a 220 V load, but relative to the stab
issue, you would not cut the current in half. A 50A load is still a
50 A load. 50A at 240 V is just twice as much power as 50A at 120V.

jk