Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default more home wiring: where's my neutral?

I've got a 25 year old house, whose light switches I'm converting over
to a powerline protocol called INSTEON (see www.smarthome.com; for
purposes of this question, it's very similar to the old X10 protocol).

Two of the bedrooms are on one circuit breaker (the whole rooms:
lights, outlets, the whole shebang). Each room has a single switch
controlling the lights in that room. I pulled a light switch out this
evening, planning to replace it, when I saw there was no neutral in the
junction box (the INSTEON switches require both hot and neutral). At
first I expected to find neutral in the wall behind the box (I was
guessing they had, for some reason, routed hot through the box and to
the switch while leaving neutral unbroken), but then realized that what
went in the box was a single piece of three-conductor wire, with black
used for hot, white for switched, and ground not connected.

So... before I start digging the junction box out, what are my odds of
finding neutral somewhere in the vicinity? More generally, I'm having a
hard time imagining why someone would wire the ceiling light fixture and
not have power and neutral come from the same place! So, before I get
myself in trouble, how did they likely wire it?

Thanks in advance,

Floating neutral or wiring problem? scorpster Home Repair 33 March 16th 09 03:54 AM
Home wiring: is 47V between neutral and ground OK? Bill[_22_] Home Repair 21 December 18th 08 05:06 PM
Home wiring: is 47V between neutral and ground OK? Bill[_22_] Home Repair 3 December 10th 08 06:48 PM
Split Neutral Wiring Ben Home Repair 37 April 17th 07 11:48 PM
Live and Neutral incorrect wiring Pedge UK diy 4 February 8th 05 12:22 PM