Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moun

Hi Folks. I am in the process of wiring a basement workshop. I hope
to have some 110 volt and 220 volt receptacles mounted on steel lally
columns which hold up the first floor. The columns are filled with
concrete, so just screwing my surface mount boxes to the column is
out. Does anyone know how this is done "in the trade" or has anyone
seen this done in a neat fashion that they would like to describe?

In my old space, I used a large hose clamp. The clamp went around the
column, into the back of the box through a knockout, around a bit of
steel rod, back out the knockout. This worked well, but it was a bit
"homegrown" looking.

Is there a commerically available clip or bracket that is used to
mount surface mount electrical boxes or EMT to lally columns?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Andy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:14:07 -0700, andy wrote:

Hi Folks. I am in the process of wiring a basement workshop. I hope
to have some 110 volt and 220 volt receptacles mounted on steel lally
columns which hold up the first floor. The columns are filled with
concrete, so just screwing my surface mount boxes to the column is
out. Does anyone know how this is done "in the trade" or has anyone
seen this done in a neat fashion that they would like to describe?

In my old space, I used a large hose clamp. The clamp went around the
column, into the back of the box through a knockout, around a bit of
steel rod, back out the knockout. This worked well, but it was a bit
"homegrown" looking.

Is there a commerically available clip or bracket that is used to
mount surface mount electrical boxes or EMT to lally columns?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Could you grind it a little and weld on a bracket of some kind?

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

andy wrote:
Hi Folks. I am in the process of wiring a basement workshop. I hope
to have some 110 volt and 220 volt receptacles mounted on steel lally
columns which hold up the first floor. The columns are filled with
concrete, so just screwing my surface mount boxes to the column is
out. Does anyone know how this is done "in the trade" or has anyone
seen this done in a neat fashion that they would like to describe?

In my old space, I used a large hose clamp. The clamp went around the
column, into the back of the box through a knockout, around a bit of
steel rod, back out the knockout. This worked well, but it was a bit
"homegrown" looking.

Is there a commerically available clip or bracket that is used to
mount surface mount electrical boxes or EMT to lally columns?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Andy

This is a metal working group. :-) Make a split clamp
out of Aluminum and mount the outlet box with machine screws.
Use conduit to drop from the "overhead". Be at least
"semi-professional" about it.
...lew...