Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Supply house for doodads

I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to make low rpm turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain,
sprockets, drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to
make low rpm turning devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

Find out where the local farmers buy their generic repair parts - a lot of
that machinery uses bolt-on sprockets w/hubs , some uses belts for drive
systems .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I do a fair amount of such things.

Any good farm supply store should have a full rack of hubs, weldable
sprockets, weldable pulleys, chain, V belts, and pillow blocks. If you
need an odd shaft size with an even odder tooth count, this is the way
to go. Pick a hub, pick a sprocket, weld it up. These will be stock #35,
#40, #50 chain, 3L, 4L, and 5L 'V' belt. Not good for high speed or high
loads but nifty. They also should stock the funny chain used for making
conveyer assemblies. Stamped links, about 2" on center. Tractor Supply,
Fleet Farm, Fleet and Farm, etc.

I had to get an account a Grainger because they seemed to be the only
folks who handled motors, 4 step pulleys, and such.

McMaster is where I usually get things like LoveJoy couplers, set
screws, inserts, etc.

SteveB wrote:
I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to make low rpm turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 8, 7:09*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I want to make some different contraptions. *I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. *Something to make low rpm turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

http://www.smallparts.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 9, 9:09*am, "SteveB" wrote:
I want to make some different contraptions. *I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. *Something to make low rpm turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

If its not too massive, old scrapped photocopiers are a good source of
such stuff - low speed motors, big stepper motors, sprockets, chain,
bearings etc. Lots of (semi-useful) electronics) And your nut and
bolt tin will get a big injection as well...

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 8, 7:09*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I want to make some different contraptions. *I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. *Something to make low rpm turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

www.surpluscenter.com has a great selection, and is pretty easy to
search.

TSC can be hit or miss, but if there's one near you, worth a look.
Same with Northern stores.

And last but not least, eBay.
--Glenn Lyford

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to make low rpm turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

These people are *great*!

http://www.sdp-si.com/

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:09:16 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to make low rpm turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

Hey Steve,

Any bearing or industrial supply house should stock a variety of all
that you mention.

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to make low rpm turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned McMaster Carr. In my view, easily
the best vendor for all sorts of mechanical hardware. Their service and
quality has me plumb spoilt. Order by 5:30 P.M. get it before 10:00 A.M.
next morning. I average two orders a week.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to make low rpm turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

Come on over to the homestead some weekend and bring an empty pickup
truck

Gunner

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to make low rpm
turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

Come on over to the homestead some weekend and bring an empty pickup
truck

Gunner

I was going to come over and get some bar grating a while back, and we never
connected. My BIL is bringing me some from Houston. But I would like to
come and meet you some day, and bring a peace offering of a quart of your
favorite beverage and an empty 3/4 ton truck. What might that beverage be?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 09:58:22 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to make low rpm
turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

Come on over to the homestead some weekend and bring an empty pickup
truck

Gunner

I was going to come over and get some bar grating a while back, and we never
connected. My BIL is bringing me some from Houston. But I would like to
come and meet you some day, and bring a peace offering of a quart of your
favorite beverage and an empty 3/4 ton truck. What might that beverage be?

Steve

Diet Mt. Dew, or a green Monster energy drink.

Let me know in advance and Ill put up a cot for you. It might take you a
day or so to go through some of the Stuff...G

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets,
drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to make low rpm turning
devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned McMaster Carr. In my view, easily
the best vendor for all sorts of mechanical hardware. Their service and
quality has me plumb spoilt. Order by 5:30 P.M. get it before 10:00 A.M.
next morning. I average two orders a week.

Karl

RoyJ mentioned it yesterday...