Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT The coming days...... newspaper article "Bluefish Feeding Frenzy Closes Sagg Main"

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

As for me, I'm getting ready to go surf fishing on the beach. 'Wish you
were
here...g

I don't like fishing. I prefer time in the shop to drowning bait.

Too bad. The blues were churning up the surf this morning. Unfortunately,
they were churning it up just out of casting range. g But I did get one
straggler, around 6 pounds. Nice fish. His mortal coil has come to a
conclusion and he will be barbecued tonight.

It's too nice to stay indoors.

--
Ed Huntress

your post made an impression on me. i detest fishing but it would be fun to
go and actually CATCH a fish.

friend posted this link to another group.

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.ph...u=QBMRj&ref=nf

she posted a pic of her brother's toe, got bit bad.
i think that's his response in the "responses" area.

aren't bluefish strong tasting? when you barbecue them do you blacken the
skin?

b.w.

Bluefish Feeding Frenzy Closes Sagg Main
Posted on 24 July 2009

On Friday, several surfers and swimmers were bitten, and one Sag Harbor teen
was sent to the hospital due to his wounds, by a passing school of blue fish
at Sagg Main Beach in Sagaponack. According to sources at the beach, the
beach was closed at around 3 pm and the orange flag was hoisted near the
lifeguard stand, alerting bathers that it was “swim at your own risk”.

Jay Brunner, a local lifeguard for 20 years, happened to be off duty on
Friday and was spending his morning surfing when he noticed several surfers
exiting the water with cuts and scraps on their feet. A Sag Harbor mom at
the beach said a Pierson student was sent to the hospital with a bad wound
on his foot. According to Brunner, it isn’t unusual to see schools of blue
fish in the water, but said he hadn’t seen this many swimmers wounded by the
fish in one day.

At this time the number of bitten bathers is pending confirmation with Allyn
Jackson, the supervisor of parks and recreation with Southampton Town.
Brunner, however, noted it was standard to close a beach when schools of
blue fish are spotted in an area.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

As for me, I'm getting ready to go surf fishing on the beach.
'Wish you were
here...g

I don't like fishing. I prefer time in the shop to drowning bait.

Too bad. The blues were churning up the surf this morning.
Unfortunately, they were churning it up just out of casting range.
g But I did get one straggler, around 6 pounds. Nice fish. His
mortal coil has come to a conclusion and he will be barbecued
tonight.

It's too nice to stay indoors.

--
Ed Huntress

your post made an impression on me. i detest fishing but it would be
fun to go and actually CATCH a fish.

Hey Bill,
Head out for Brown's or Muskie's sometime.
It's a contest of who's going to eat who.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message
news

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

As for me, I'm getting ready to go surf fishing on the beach. 'Wish you
were
here...g

I don't like fishing. I prefer time in the shop to drowning bait.

Too bad. The blues were churning up the surf this morning. Unfortunately,
they were churning it up just out of casting range. g But I did get one
straggler, around 6 pounds. Nice fish. His mortal coil has come to a
conclusion and he will be barbecued tonight.

It's too nice to stay indoors.

--
Ed Huntress

your post made an impression on me. i detest fishing but it would be fun
to go and actually CATCH a fish.

Blues are great fun. When a school is feeding -- and they are *always*
feeding -- the action can be wild and wooly.

friend posted this link to another group.

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.ph...u=QBMRj&ref=nf

she posted a pic of her brother's toe, got bit bad.
i think that's his response in the "responses" area.

Ouch. As those people say, bluefish are like piranhas when they're in a
frenzy. I've been fishing for them since I was about six years old, and I've
heard some tough old commercial fishermen say they would not want to fall
into a school of them when they've been chummed up into a fever pitch.
Seriously, you might not come out alive.

Lifeguards will tell you that here on the mid-Atlantic coast, most cases of
"shark" bite in the surf actually are bluefish bites.

aren't bluefish strong tasting?

A very good question. I happen to be writing an article about that.

Let's distinguish "rich" tasting fish -- tuna, swordfish, mackerel, wahoo,
bluefish -- from stinky fish -- anything old, and a badly handled bluefish.
Bluefish has a rich flavor but it also has a strange physiology, with one of
the most active digestive systems of any vertebrate. Five minutes after they
die, they start to digest their own flesh. Within an hour it's unfit to eat.
That's the stinking mess that most shore people think of when they think
about eating bluefish.

But handled right, they are excellent eating. (I hear that piranhas are,
too. g) You have to gut them within five minutes of their demise, and
pack the cavity with ice. Then pack the whole fish in ice. If you're after
blues and you intend to keep one or two to eat, have a cooler handy, full of
shaved or cracked ice, and a sharp knife for gutting. If you get the guts on
the painted part of a boat, wash it off immediately, or it will strip the
paint. No kidding.

If you can't eat them within 24 hours, freeze them. If you freeze them, they
lose their taste and they're good for nothing but fish cakes or chowder. If
you get them fresh, broil with something acid: tomato sauce, lemon juice,
tarragon vinegar, or, my favorite, barbeque sauce. If you really love fish,
as I do, you don't need any of that stuff. Just broil them or cook them on a
grill. They have plenty of fat, so there's no need to add oil or butter.

...when you barbecue them do you blacken the skin?

First off, you have to remove the skin, unless you *really* like strong fish
flavor. (I actually like it, but most people don't.) The red lateral streak
and the fat are all right under the skin, and I remove both before cooking
them for other people. To hold the fish together on a charcoal grill,
without the skin, I use a wire fish basket.

But I do blacken them just a bit when I grill them over charcoal. I like
that flavor. The key, though, is to have a really fresh blue that was
handled right. If you have to buy them in a fish market, they are never
handled right. And they're likely to stink when you cook them. You have to
catch them yourself, or hang out around people who are catching them. You'll
be surprised -- most people are glad to give one or two of them up to
someone who wants them. If they know blues, they know that they can't freeze
them, anyway, if they want the best flavor.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

Hey Bill,
Head out for Brown's or Muskie's sometime.
It's a contest of who's going to eat who.

--
John R. Carroll

LOL. thanks john.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

thanks for your thorough interesting reply ed, fascinating. made me
want to go out and try to catch a bluefish. your description sounds great,
yummy. mmm, makes me want to try some grilled bluefish.
what you wrote about bluefish reminded me, i visited japan in '86, these
guys were grilling fish on a small charcoal grill thingy. they were dried
fish, the way i remember it maybe about 4 or maybe 6 inches long. i
remember them being kinda blue colored even though they were dried. they'd
grill them till the edges were black. first bite would make you cough and
take your breath away they were SO fishy smelling/tasting. they were
basically AWFUL but i got the impression it was manly to eat 'em so i
persisted. was a fun interesting experience. they're real big on fish over
there.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

They do have an open attitude toward fish flavors. I recall sitting in a bar
in Fukui, in a traditional area of western Japan, and munching on the
fish-flavored snacks at the bar. My first thought was that they even put
fish in their pretzels, until I asked what they were. "Dried eel spines,"
was the reply.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

They do have an open attitude toward fish flavors. I recall sitting in a
bar in Fukui, in a traditional area of western Japan, and munching on the
fish-flavored snacks at the bar. My first thought was that they even put
fish in their pretzels, until I asked what they were. "Dried eel spines,"
was the reply.

--
Ed Huntress

LOL. "..open attitude toward fish flavors." lol.
first time there in japan i opened a container of milk for coffee, habit of
sniffing it before use, i was like WTF?! yuk! had a noticeable fish aroma,
fishy milk is kinda gross. learned they supplement their cattle feed with
dried fish flakes. gak i mean, it's a good idea in theory, but... i
think even ice cream there has a faint tinge of fish. oh, but, i mean,
otherwise i LOVED japan.

b.w.