DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   NJ Police state: update on pocket popper (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/282947-re-nj-police-state-update-pocket-popper.html)

Don Foreman July 23rd 09 07:10 AM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

I took my new little Ruger LCP .380 to the range today. It's very
similar to the Kel-Tec 3AT.

This thing is so tiny and light (12 oz) I expected it to be quite
unpleasant to shoot and probably not very accurate in my hands. It's
sole virtue, I thought, was that it's so small and light I would
actually carry it when perhaps I should be carrying something more
than hope for my safety and welfare on my daily 3-mile walks.

Boy was I surprised. My first three shots from 21 feet comprised a
group of about 1.5" spread with two holes nearly touching, said group
about 1/2" left of my aim point. "Sacred feces", I exclaimed, or
words to that effect.

Those first three, first ever thru that pistol, were fired very
deliberately with no regard for speed. That would be unrealistic
in an actual self-defense situation but I wanted to see what the
best I might expect might be. That'll do! When I speeded up my
rate of fire to a more realistic pace, accuracy degraded markedly
but was still quite acceptable with all shots hitting well within
center of mass on a standard silhouette target. My performance will
improve with practice with the slightly-better-than-awful trigger.

I was amazed and delighted to discover that this little popper is not
at all unpleasant to shoot. Au contraire, it's fun! For perspective,
I do not like harsh recoil, not at all. I know women who like the
Kahr PM9 just fine but 20 rounds thru one of those was plenty for me.
I thought it was a nasty little bitch and wanted no more of that. I
have no problem with larger caliber handguns of appropriate mass but
I don't want to carry one. I'm retired.

I could easily shoot 100 rounds thru the little Ruger LCP in a hour
without discomfort. I was using WWB (Winchester white box) factory
ammo today. I was wearing a shooting glove but I don't think it
would have been necessary.

I ordered this little pistol more because I thought I should than
because I wanted it. I wasn't particularly looking forward to when
it might arrive and I really didn't expect to like it much. I
diddled around for at least a year not ordering one because I was
pretty sure I wouldn't like it.

Well, I like it! I will enjoy practicing with it and I will drop it
in my pocket when I probably should because it is so easy to do.

Mary 'n I burned a buncha .380 ammo today. Outdoors, rural range we
had it all to ourselves. Lovely summer day. Life could be worse.

cavelamb July 23rd 09 07:43 AM

Don Foreman wrote:
I took my new little Ruger LCP .380 to the range today. It's very
similar to the Kel-Tec 3AT.

snippage

Well, I like it! I will enjoy practicing with it and I will drop it
in my pocket when I probably should because it is so easy to do.

Mary 'n I burned a buncha .380 ammo today. Outdoors, rural range we
had it all to ourselves. Lovely summer day. Life could be worse.

:)

I know just how you feel, Don.
Play with it for a while, then practice making smiley faces!

It's a shame .380 ammo is getting so precious.

Richard

RangersSuck July 23rd 09 12:31 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

I hope you never feel the need to take it out of your pocket.

Pete C. July 23rd 09 01:12 PM

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

I have a Colt Mustang Pocketlite and it's pretty similar I think, about
12.5oz loaded and a whole lot more comfortable to carry than the 43oz
S&W 5906.

RBnDFW July 23rd 09 03:02 PM

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

I carried a P3AT for years. I shot it about once every 2 months, never
could figure out what people were talking about when they complained
about the recoil. I could put 50 rounds through it with no problem.

This year I'm carrying an LCP, mostly because it's just a nicer gun.
But shooting it hurts my hand. I don't know if it's the minor difference
in the guns, or if it's just age or something. It's still manageable,
but the difference was noticeable. I'll have to try them back to back
next time.

I like .380. I think I have 15 or so pocket .380s.

RBnDFW July 23rd 09 03:03 PM

Pete C. wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

I have a couple of those Colts, and I like them a lot.
But I end up carrying the Ruger just because it's so much thinner and
lighter.

Larry The Snake Guy July 23rd 09 04:41 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

Yeah. I'm not sure a gun has ever been made that was too inaccurate
for self-defense, but a little accuracy sure does make practice more
interesting...

Don Foreman July 23rd 09 04:51 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 04:31:30 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

I hope you never feel the need to take it out of your pocket.

Me too. I haven't been mugged in 67 years and I only know one person
who has so I think my ever actually drawing it is highly unllikely.
What's changed is that a mugging/assault that would be recoverable
for most could now be fatal for me.

[email protected] July 23rd 09 06:29 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 01:10:11 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

I ordered this little pistol more because I thought I should than
because I wanted it. I wasn't particularly looking forward to when
it might arrive and I really didn't expect to like it much. I
diddled around for at least a year not ordering one because I was
pretty sure I wouldn't like it.

Well, I like it! I will enjoy practicing with it and I will drop it
in my pocket when I probably should because it is so easy to do.

Pretty much sums up my take on the Kel-Tec 3AT. Those Ruger LCP's
were going for $400+ out here as fast as they'd come in. I bought the
Kel-Tec from a customer inside the gun shop for $150 and he bought
their last Ruger LCP g. He hadn't even shot a box (50) of rounds
through it and it came with the box, paperwork, belt clip 1/2 box of
ammo and a poly holster.

I pack it everywhere. And that right there can be problematic since
there's a few places I've been that I shouldn't have been packing.
I'm pretty sure you'll have an oops moment or two. They're so light
that you literally forget it's there. It lives in my watch pocket,
that holster fits in there perfectly and the belt clip keeps it there.

And like you, the accuracy surprised the hell out of me. I hope I
never need it, but it does provide a certain level of comfort knowing
it's always there. The only mod I did was to get the mag extension
(one more round) which makes it easier to hold.

Snarl

RangersSuck July 23rd 09 07:28 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

wrote:
I hope you never feel the need to take it out of your pocket.

Me too. *I haven't been mugged in 67 years and I only know one person
who has so I think my ever actually drawing it is highly unllikely.
What's changed is that a mugging/assault *that would be *recoverable
for most could *now *be fatal for me. *

But now that you have it, and I can imagine how it gives you some
sense of security, can you clue me in on the circumstances and
methodology in which you would use it? It seems to me, that if you
were stopped by an armed assailant, you'd be dead before you got the
gun out of your pocket. If the assailant was unarmed, you'd have a
tough time justifying shooting him. If there were multiple assailants,
then what?

I really am interested in this phenomenon, as it truly is foreign to
me. I'd rather hear this from you, Don, as you appear to be a
reasonable person who will think before giving an answer.

I'd also like to hear how CCW would have prevented the death of my
friend's cousin:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/nyregion/20car.html

Richard the Dreaded Libertarian July 23rd 09 10:40 PM

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:28:56 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:

I'd also like to hear how CCW would have prevented the death of my
friend's cousin:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/nyregion/20car.html

It's not about permits. According to the Constitution, The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed.

"Oh, but that's only the militia!" I hear you cry. Do you even know
what "militia" means? It's every able-bodied adult citizen. The militia
are YOU!

So, tell me how gun control would have saved them? Remember, the crooks
don't obey laws - that's why they're called crooks. Oh, wait - you already
have gun control, and they got shot anyway!

At least someone armed could have stopped the perps, but now they're
running around loose because of gun control.

Thanks,
Rich

RangersSuck July 23rd 09 11:46 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Jul 23, 5:40*pm, Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:28:56 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:

I'd also like to hear how CCW would have prevented the death of my
friend's cousin:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/nyregion/20car.html

It's not about permits. According to the Constitution, The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed.

"Oh, but that's only the militia!" I hear you cry. Do you even know
what "militia" means? It's every able-bodied adult citizen. The militia
are YOU!

So, tell me how gun control would have saved them? Remember, the crooks
don't obey laws - that's why they're called crooks. Oh, wait - you already
have gun control, and they got shot anyway!

At least someone armed could have stopped the perps, but now they're
running around loose because of gun control.

Thanks,
Rich

So, your answer is that CCW could not have prevented the deaths of
these kids,

Wes[_2_] July 23rd 09 11:48 PM

Don Foreman wrote:

I took my new little Ruger LCP .380 to the range today. It's very
similar to the Kel-Tec 3AT.

This thing is so tiny and light (12 oz) I expected it to be quite
unpleasant to shoot and probably not very accurate in my hands. It's
sole virtue, I thought, was that it's so small and light I would
actually carry it when perhaps I should be carrying something more
than hope for my safety and welfare on my daily 3-mile walks.

Boy was I surprised. My first three shots from 21 feet comprised a
group of about 1.5" spread with two holes nearly touching, said group
about 1/2" left of my aim point. "Sacred feces", I exclaimed, or
words to that effect.

A .380 ACP will get to just the other side of a current dimension 2x4 (1.5x3.5).

Not the greatest round to rely on if you have that day you really need a gun.

Of course, it tends to be packaged in a size and weight that makes it fairly likely you
may have it with you and most any gun beats no gun.

Ah, I just took a peek, the LCP is not a blow back type like most .380's. I wonder how
warm you can load one of those safely.

I love shooting my Bersa 95, light enough it feels like a real gun going off and with the
barrel being fixed to the frame (blow back) it is very accurate.

Now that I've dissed the .380, I'll admit that I probably have it with me more often than
more capable calibers unless I'm heading someplace that I know isn't the best place to be
and I sure try to avoid that.

I keep meaning to buy a decent compact 9mm, I toyed with the idea of a Glock 36 in .45acp
but I'm not a fan of the safe action (no manual safety) system, especially using
improvised carry.

Enjoy your new gun.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

[email protected] July 24th 09 12:00 AM

On Jul 23, 7:28*pm, rangerssuck wrote:

But now that you have it, and I can imagine how it gives you some
sense of security, can you clue me in on the circumstances and
methodology in which you would use it? It seems to me, that if you
were stopped by an armed assailant, you'd be dead before you got the
gun out of your pocket. If the assailant was unarmed, you'd have a
tough time justifying shooting him. If there were multiple assailants,
then what?

Before answering you questions, I need more data. If stopped by an
armed assailant, when did the armed assailant draw his weapon? Was it
150 feet away? Was it twenty feet away? Was it less than five feet
away? Was the assailant acting suspiciously? Was the assailant armed
with a gun? Was the assailant armed with a knife? A sword? If the
assailant was unarmed, did he flee when you drew your weapon? Or was
he crazed on drugs, and ignored your warnings?
If there were multiple assailants, were there two, twenty, two
hundred? What avenues of escape did you have? Would shots have drawn
help?

And what makes you think I would carry a concealed weapon in my
pocket?

Having a concealed weapon definitely gives you more option, but one
always has to consider the circumstances.

Dan

David R.Birch July 24th 09 12:37 AM

RBnDFW wrote:

I carried a P3AT for years. I shot it about once every 2 months, never
could figure out what people were talking about when they complained
about the recoil. I could put 50 rounds through it with no problem.

This year I'm carrying an LCP, mostly because it's just a nicer gun.
But shooting it hurts my hand. I don't know if it's the minor difference
in the guns, or if it's just age or something. It's still manageable,
but the difference was noticeable. I'll have to try them back to back
next time.

I like .380. I think I have 15 or so pocket .380s.

I agree about the .380 pocket pistols, I collect them, too. I haven't
counted recently, but 15 sounds about right. I'm not sure if my
Husqvarna 1903 counts, it's far too big for most pockets and it
started out chambered for 9mm Browning Long.

David

RangersSuck July 24th 09 12:45 AM

On Jul 23, 7:00*pm, " wrote:
[...]

The question was for Don Foreman, who just bought a new gun to carry
in his pocket, while hiking.

William Wixon July 24th 09 01:15 AM

wrote in message
[...]

that's what i thought of the link don posted about the lady who got beat up.
seemed to me the guy sucker punched her, even if she was carrying a puny
popper he still woulda taken her by surprise, it would've stayed in her
pocket, or holster, or whatever and she woulda still got beat up. has
seemed to me in the past the odds are so incredibly low guys who carry guns
will ever use them to defend themselves against an surprise assailant the
only real reason to constantly carry a gun is so they can feel confident to
loudly voice their opinions in social situations because if/when it came
down to it they'd always be the one who ends up winning the argument.

b.w.

Don Foreman July 24th 09 06:14 AM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:28:56 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

wrote:
I hope you never feel the need to take it out of your pocket.

Me too. *I haven't been mugged in 67 years and I only know one person
who has so I think my ever actually drawing it is highly unllikely.
What's changed is that a mugging/assault *that would be *recoverable
for most could *now *be fatal for me. *

But now that you have it, and I can imagine how it gives you some
sense of security, can you clue me in on the circumstances and
methodology in which you would use it? It seems to me, that if you
were stopped by an armed assailant, you'd be dead before you got the
gun out of your pocket. If the assailant was unarmed, you'd have a
tough time justifying shooting him. If there were multiple assailants,
then what?

Very brief answers are yes, yes and oboy. In the last case where
"oboy" is a bit flippant, multiple assailant punks often act as one.
If the multiple assailants comprise a skilled and disciplined assault
team intent on your demise, you're toast regardless of what weapons
you might be carrying. In the general civilian case (unless
you've really ****ed off someone dangerous) , whether singletons or
groups look for easy prey. While they may not be able to read or do
their sums, their street instincts are acute. An alert citizen who
is armed and skilled is not easy prey. This isn't just my opinion,
see reference cited below.

The issue you broach is one of tactics, which is methodology, and it
is a key issue. It's far more important than what kind of gun or
other weapon one might have at his or her disposal.

There are good answers to your questions and I don't fancy myself as
an expert so I won't even try to address them in a newsgroup reply.
Entire books have been written by well-known credible authors with
considerable experience in such matters. A leading authority is
Massad Ayoob. Probably the first book you read should be "In The
Gravest Extreme". Then note the bibliography for more.

Tactical training by skilled and experienced instructors is available
in many areas, and in my area it's quite reasonably priced, less than
a good dinner for an evening session. This training probably wouldn't
appeal to folks who don't enjoy shooting but it sounds like a lot
of fun to me. I like the part that says, "bring 300 rounds of
ammunition..."

I really am interested in this phenomenon, as it truly is foreign to
me. I'd rather hear this from you, Don, as you appear to be a
reasonable person who will think before giving an answer.

I'd also like to hear how CCW would have prevented the death of my
friend's cousin:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/nyregion/20car.html

Moot question because only those with very strong political
connections can get CCW permits in NYC. What would have prevented his
death? not being there in the first place. The only sure way to win
a fight involving lethal weapons is to avoid it.

Thanks for illustrating the point that there is considerably more to
armed self defense than securing a permit and purchasing a handgun.

Don Foreman July 24th 09 06:45 AM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:15:19 -0500, "William Wixon"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

There certainly are plenty of examples of exactly what you assert.

In the case of the assaulted lady in St Paul, recall that the
assailant demanded money, was told she didn't have any, started to
leave and then returned to beat the crap out of her with his cane. She
had ample opportunity to access a weapon and ample provocation to do
so as well.

I certainly don't assert or imply that things would have turned out
better if she'd had a gun in her purse. (I'll leave that to the
NRA.) She may have a strong abhorrance of firearms or she may not be
cabable or motivated to gain any proficiency with one.

It was an isolated incident, as was the little girl that got struck
and killed by lightning the same day.

A pocket pistol is indeed about useless against a surprise assailant
or ambush. I've stated that before.

I recommend books and writings by Masaad Ayoob for your further
edification. If you would rather write uninformed opinion, I respect
your right to do so.

Don Foreman July 24th 09 07:08 AM

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:48:10 -0400, Wes wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I am enjoying it far more than I expected to.

..380 is light for SD but nearly all experts agree that shot placement
is more important than caliber, and that the gun you have on you is
far more useful than the heavier gun you don't have available.

For when you wanna be more serious about carry, have a look at the
Para Ordnance PDA and Carry 9. I stumbled upon a very slightly used
Carry 9 a few months go, grabbed it, and I love it. It's amazingly
accurate in my hands. I grabbed it specifically to have something I'd
regard as about as carryable as a .380 during winter months that had
more authority than a .380 when my attacker might be wearing a lot of
clothes in MN.

I tried to like the Kahr PM9 and just couldn't get there. I found it
too harsh. I like the Carry 9 a lot, or perhaps a bit more than that.
It is fun to shoot, very easy to burn thru 100 rounds in a session.

I have a Colt Officer's M1911 in .45ACP that I enjoy shooting and
shoot well but I'm not comfy carrying it cocked and locked. The
Para LDA's are double action, do have a 1911-style safety if one is
really confident about remembering the safety but the safety could
safely be left off during carry because it is a DA like LCP, Kahr,
Glock and XD which have no safeties requiring operator action.

The DA trigger on the Para Carry9, essentially the same as their PDA
and quite capable of using 9mmp +P ammo, is way far superior to the
slightly-less-than-awful trigger on the Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec 3AT. But
Sweet Carrynine is almost twice the weight of ma petit cherie Elsie
Pea. Summer and winter.

Eregon[_4_] July 24th 09 09:56 AM

rangerssuck wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

I'd also like to hear how CCW would have prevented the death of my
friend's cousin:

Which one was the cousin - the 23-year-old driver or the 19-year-old?

If it was the 23-year-old, he'd have been able to shoot first, thus killing
the assailant instead of being offed instead.

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

RBnDFW July 24th 09 02:55 PM

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

I keep a compact 9mm in each car, in a lockbox, just in case I feel the
need for a short-term upgrade.

Richard the Dreaded Libertarian July 24th 09 06:59 PM

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:46:27 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

No, my point is that gun control not only didn't prevent the deaths of
these kids, but also let the perps get away with it.

Thanks,
Rich

Don Foreman July 24th 09 08:29 PM

wrote:

I'd also like to hear how CCW would have prevented the death of my
friend's cousin:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/nyregion/20car.html

Thinking more about your questions, I recalled some material I
recently read about tactics (methodology) when in a stationary car
and attack seems imminent.

Obviously, if it's possible to drive away, do so. If it is not
possible to move the car (and you are armed), get out of the car and
keep the car between you and the threat. If/when they see that you
are armed, there's a good chance that they will reconsider. If they
don't, at least you now have the ability to move and/or the tactical
advantage of cover.

Elsewhere in the book he addresses the matter of maintaining a state
of alert awareness appropriate to one's situation and surroundings.
Other books also address this issue, some more thoroughly.

The author noted that being in an immobile car places one at a huge
disadvantage because there is so little freedom of motion. GET OUT OF
THE CAR.

If you're interested in learning more, the book is:
"Armed Response: A Comprehensive Guide to Using Firearms for
Self-Defense" by David Kenik. Available from Amazon.
http://tinyurl.com/lspszd

RangersSuck July 24th 09 09:09 PM

wrote:

[...]

And if there are two bad guys (they do often travel in pairs), one on
each side of the car? Sometimes, it seems, when you're screwed, you're
screwed.

RangersSuck July 24th 09 09:14 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Jul 24, 1:59*pm, Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
wrote:
[...]

I guess I missed the part about how gun control let them get away with
it. As far as I know, nobody even knows who they are or where they
are. There were no witnesses, much less witnesses with guns.

And the logic that "gun control didn't prevent the deaths" is just
ridiculous. Campaign finance reform didn't prevent it either, nor did
global warming, swine flu, astroturf or the designated hitter.

[email protected] July 24th 09 09:55 PM

On Jul 24, 12:45*am, rangerssuck wrote:

The question was for Don Foreman, who just bought a new gun to carry
in his pocket, while hiking.

If it was just for Don Foreman, why did you post it in a usegroup?

Dan

F. George McDuffee July 24th 09 10:25 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:28:56 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:
snip
I'd also like to hear how CCW would have prevented the death of my
friend's cousin:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/nyregion/20car.html

snip
Primary error in this line of reasoning is examining everything
on a case by case basis. Under certain circumstances, even
trained police officers are killed. This is generally not taken
as an excuse or rationale to disarm the police [except in
England].

In the specific case of your cousin [you have my condolences] a
weapon may not have affected the outcome AT THAT TIME, but it may
well be that a shot or two from a privately owned gun by an armed
citizen in an earlier confrontation would have eliminated the
possibility of subsequent confrontations. It is also
worthwhile to note that if either or both of the victims had been
armed, they would not be any worse off.

What is becoming clear is that crimes of this type, frequently
resulting in murder or serious injury, are not "spur of the
moment -- one time" things, but are serial events, with a
tendency to become more brazen over time.

When the general situation is examined in the aggregate, it
becomes clear that activities such as muggings and robberies as a
career choice become much riskier when a significant numbers of
the general population are armed and prepared to fight back.
While a perp may successfully mug or rob for a time, in these
sense THEY are not injured or killed, sooner or later an armed
victim or bystander will manage to get a shot or two off, killing
or wounding the perp. [For our overseas readers, under U.S. law
ALL gunshot wounds must be reported to the police by doctors or
hospitals, which frequently leads to arrests.]

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Wes[_2_] July 24th 09 10:50 PM

Don Foreman wrote:

For when you wanna be more serious about carry, have a look at the
Para Ordnance PDA and Carry 9. I stumbled upon a very slightly used
Carry 9 a few months go, grabbed it, and I love it. It's amazingly
accurate in my hands. I grabbed it specifically to have something I'd
regard as about as carryable as a .380 during winter months that had
more authority than a .380 when my attacker might be wearing a lot of
clothes in MN.

How thick is the Carry 9? That spec isn't on the para web site.

Looks like it might just be the future PDW for me.

Don Foreman July 25th 09 06:33 AM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

wrote:

[...]

So try to enjoy it?

If there are bad guys on each side of the car the occupant of the car
very probably hasn't been paying attention.

Self defense in a metropolitan setting does not start with firepower,
martial arts or 911. It starts with taking some responsibility for
one's own safety, learning some basics from readily-available
sources and paying attention

Many want to believe that their safety is the responsibility of the
government. It is not. The police have no obligation to "protect and
serve". Such an obligation would be impossible to meet because they
can't be everywhere at once. Police enforce the law by collecting
evidence and apprehending suspects after crimes have been committed.
That may protect to the extent of its deterrent effect.

If early awareness of a threat and attempts at evasion fail, the
remaining options are flight or fight. Flight requires superior
speed, works well if one has it. (I don't.) If it comes down to
fight or be maimed or killed, being armed and skilled may help.

I don't try to persuade others that being armed is a good idea for
them. For many it is not. I respect their choice either way.

I tried to offer thoughtful responses to your questions but I don't
care to pursue a polemic debate. Pick yer pony, take yer ride.

Don Foreman July 25th 09 07:11 AM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

wrote:
[...]

True colors showing here, rangerssuck?

"Gun control didn't prevent deaths" may not be clearly stated in
context but the clear intent is not at all ridiculous. Criminals with
guns caused the deaths. Even draconian gun control laws can never
deprive criminals of guns because criminals operate ex law by
definition. It is already illegal to use a gun in perpetration of a
crime and/or for felons to have guns. Ergo, additional gun control
legislation would be redundant and could have no beneficial effect.
QED and duh.

RangersSuck July 25th 09 12:42 PM

wrote:
[...]

I wasn't aware that my true colors were ever hidden. I am, though a
former NRA member and former avid target shooter (targets with round
bullseyes, not human silhouettes), most certainly of the opinion that
people carrying guns in urban or suburban areas is a recipe for
disaster. I, personally, have seen plenty of situations where, had a
gun been present, the argument could easily have escalated to a death.

Of course even the most draconian gun control laws willl not deprive
ALL criminals of ALL guns, but they will make the guns harder to
acquire, and (possibly) prevent the casual, or would-be felon from
picking one up on a whim. You'll have to go a very long way to
convince me a that a five-day waiting period is a bad idea. You'll
have to go even further to convince me that New Jersey's new one-gun-
purchase-per-month law somehow destroys the second amendment. These
two laws will (I hope) go a long way towards reducing gun violence.

Further, bearing in mind that there were no witnesses to this
particular shooting, how can you even suggest that a passer-by could
have taken out the criminals, had they been armed? If grandma had
wheels, she'd be a trolley car.

RangersSuck July 25th 09 02:05 PM

wrote:

[...]

That I do.

If there are bad guys on each side of the car the occupant of the car
very probably *hasn't been paying attention. *

I'm guessing you haven't spent a lot of time in big cities.

Self defense in a metropolitan setting *does not start with firepower,
martial arts or *911. *It starts with taking some responsibility for
one's own safety, * learning some basics from readily-available
sources and paying attention

Again, if, while in an urban area, you were constantly doing threat
assessment, you'd never have time to do anything else. You HAVE to
have a certain level of trust that the (unseen, unnoticed) other guy
is not out to kill you. Otherwise, well, it just would be better to
hide under your bed.

Many want to believe that their safety is the responsibility of the
government. *It is not. *The police have no obligation to "protect and
serve". *Such an obligation *would be impossible to meet because *they
can't be everywhere at once. *Police enforce the law by collecting
evidence and apprehending suspects after crimes have been committed.
That may protect *to the extent of its deterrent effect.

However, it was stated earlier (not by you), that perhaps the perps in
this particular case could (should) have been killed in a prior
attempt. It seems, by your logic, that if there HAD been a prior
attempt, the police would or should have apprehended the perps.

Of course the police can't be everywhere, and who would want them to
be? On the other hand, it's pretty cynical to think that makes us a
lawless society where "every man for himself" is the rule of the day.
Most of the time, we obey the laws not for fear of getting caught, but
simply because it's the right thing to do. We have to have a certain
level of trust that the "other guy" does the same.

If early awareness of a threat *and attempts at evasion *fail, the
remaining options are flight or fight. *Flight requires superior
speed, works well if one has it. *(I don't.) * * If it comes down to
fight or be maimed or killed, being armed and skilled may help. *

Sure, it may help. It also may make a bad situation worse.

I don't try to persuade others that being armed is a good idea for
them. For many it is not. *I respect their choice either way. *

And that MAY work in the midwest or in rural areas. As I said, I'm not
totally against the concept, but around here, I can't imagine it doing
anything good.

I tried to offer thoughtful responses *to your questions but I don't
care to pursue a polemic debate. *Pick yer pony, take yer ride. *

Fair enough, but I'm not doing this to be difficult. I really was
trying to (and have) gained some insight from the other side of this
discussion.

Bob Engelhardt July 25th 09 02:32 PM

rangerssuck wrote:
... I, personally, have seen plenty of situations where, had a
gun been present, the argument could easily have escalated to a death.

Good point! Many years ago I was in a situation where I was so enraged
that I didn't much *care* about the consequences. Violence ensued, but
only to the black eye state. It's very easy for me to see how things
can get very bad very quickly.

Bob

Ed Huntress July 25th 09 05:03 PM

wrote:
[...]

I will NOT get into this discussion. No, I won't...oh, crap...g

That isn't deductive reasoning, Don. There's no "QED." It's abductive
reasoning: You don't have a complete set of premises and you're drawing
conclusions about what they are, based on a pairing of correlative facts --
about which you have no knowledge concerning which ones may or may not be
operative.

For example, your hypothetical *assumes* that the motivation for criminals
to obtain guns is the same, whether the laws against *general* gun ownership
are strict or lax. But there is no substantial evidence for that. In fact,
almost all of the evidence, from everywhere in the world, contradicts it.
Where gun control is strict and strictly enforced, rates of criminal use of
firearms tends to be low.

whew Having gotten that off my chest g, the fact is that really strict
gun control DOES correspond to very low rates of deaths by firearms. For
example, most of Europe. And before you bring up Switzerland, remember that
I once lived there, and can tell you that their gun control is very strict
indeed.

This gets back to the cultural issue that intrigues me so much, because it's
clear that criminals in developed countries, who have some means and who
want guns, can get them almost anywhere, but most easily in the United
States. So it becomes a question of whether our criminals' culture makes
them more prone to gun use, or whether it's just a matter of relative
convenience: it's lot easier here to get your hands on a gun here, legally
or illegally. They're all over the place and it's easy to keep re-stocking
the criminal gun supply.

Obviously the latter is true, but my impression (from inductive reasoning
rather than deductive, so I won't claim any QEDs g) is that the cultural
issue is interactive with the availability issue -- each one feeding off the
other -- and that the presence of one gives rise to the other.

Which implies that we're either going to vastly suppress gun ownership, or
we're going to have to live with high rates of gun crime, at least until the
cows come home -- and maybe until we're drinking synthetic milk and eating
soyburgers, and there are no more cows. Sooner or later the comforting
myths, such as the idea that carrying guns suppresses crime, will run out of
steam, and we'll have to face the bald fact that we can have guns or
substantially lower violent crime rates, but not both.

It's something like the security-versus-liberty issue. I happen to lean
strongly toward the liberty side. But then, I've never been shot at, either.

--
Ed Huntress

Don Foreman July 25th 09 05:20 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 04:42:09 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

I wasn't aware that my true colors were ever hidden.

"I really am interested in this phenomenon, as it truly is foreign to
me. I'd rather hear this from you, Don, as you appear to be a
reasonable person who will think before giving an answer."

I am, though a
former NRA member and former avid target shooter (targets with round
bullseyes, not human silhouettes), most certainly of the opinion that
people carrying guns in urban or suburban areas is a recipe for
disaster. I, personally, have seen plenty of situations where, had a
gun been present, the argument could easily have escalated to a death.

Could have in your opinion. Did it? Many men routinely carry a
pocket knife, perhaps you do too. These men occasionally have
disagreements and conflicts, perhaps you do too. Ever stabbed anyone?

Most adults drive automobiles. Some experience roadrage on occasion.
Perhaps you do too. Ever ram anyone or run them off the road at
speed? If you'd had a gun, would you have shot at the object of your
ire?

Of course even the most draconian gun control laws willl not deprive
ALL criminals of ALL guns, but they will make the guns harder to
acquire, and (possibly) prevent the casual, or would-be felon from
picking one up on a whim. You'll have to go a very long way to
convince me a that a five-day waiting period is a bad idea. You'll
have to go even further to convince me that New Jersey's new one-gun-
purchase-per-month law somehow destroys the second amendment. These
two laws will (I hope) go a long way towards reducing gun violence.

While I don't have any particular objection to either of these
measures, I see no rational basis for them. Criminals don't usually
get their guns by legal purchase.

Further, bearing in mind that there were no witnesses to this
particular shooting, how can you even suggest that a passer-by could
have taken out the criminals, had they been armed? If grandma had
wheels, she'd be a trolley car.

I suggested no such thing.

It's becoming evident that this topic is foreign to you, but your
interest seems to be polemic rather than inquiring. It is made
quite clear in MN CCW training courses that posession of a carry
permit and pistol does NOT make one a defender of others.

Having wheels wouldn't make grandma a trolley car. Many elders have
wheels. Some might even have a .38 under the blanket covering their
knees, so mugging gramma may be a bad idea. I personally know two
grandmas who have carry permits and are pretty damned good shots.

Don Foreman July 25th 09 05:50 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 06:05:38 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

So try to enjoy it? *

That I do.

If there are bad guys on each side of the car the occupant of the car
very probably *hasn't been paying attention. *

I'm guessing you haven't spent a lot of time in big cities.

I lived in Detroit for part of my childhood. I now live in a second
tier suburb of Minneapolis.

Self defense in a metropolitan setting *does not start with firepower,
martial arts or *911. *It starts with taking some responsibility for
one's own safety, * learning some basics from readily-available
sources and paying attention

Again, if, while in an urban area, you were constantly doing threat
assessment, you'd never have time to do anything else. You HAVE to
have a certain level of trust that the (unseen, unnoticed) other guy
is not out to kill you. Otherwise, well, it just would be better to
hide under your bed.

Wrong. One can constantly be doing threat assessment and barely be
aware of it. We needn't worry about those who aren't out to kill us
but it's useful to become aware sooner than later of those who might.
Watch wildlife, found even in the parks of big cities. Try to catch a
robin or a rabbit in your hands.

I really encourage you to do some reading. You're right in that we
can't maintain maximum "condition red" vigilance at all times. The
key is knowing what and who to pay attention to and scale one's state
of vigilence accordingly.

Many want to believe that their safety is the responsibility of the
government. *It is not. *The police have no obligation to "protect and
serve". *Such an obligation *would be impossible to meet because *they
can't be everywhere at once. *Police enforce the law by collecting
evidence and apprehending suspects after crimes have been committed.
That may protect *to the extent of its deterrent effect.

However, it was stated earlier (not by you), that perhaps the perps in
this particular case could (should) have been killed in a prior
attempt. It seems, by your logic, that if there HAD been a prior
attempt, the police would or should have apprehended the perps.

I didn't and wouldn't make that argument.

Of course the police can't be everywhere, and who would want them to
be? On the other hand, it's pretty cynical to think that makes us a
lawless society where "every man for himself" is the rule of the day.
Most of the time, we obey the laws not for fear of getting caught, but
simply because it's the right thing to do. We have to have a certain
level of trust that the "other guy" does the same.

I do live my life with a fairly high level of such trust. However,
it's not absolute. I know for a certainty that there are a few
predators intent on doing the wrong thing.

If early awareness of a threat *and attempts at evasion *fail, the
remaining options are flight or fight. *Flight requires superior
speed, works well if one has it. *(I don't.) * * If it comes down to
fight or be maimed or killed, being armed and skilled may help. *

Sure, it may help. It also may make a bad situation worse.

What's worse than being killed or maimed? Existing law is very clear
about when one may employ deadly force in self defense. It varies
from state to state but the general theme is that one must reasonably
believe himself to be in imminent peril of death or grave bodily
injury -- and the cognizent prosecutor (and perhaps a jury) will
determine after the fact if such belief was indeed reasonable.

I don't try to persuade others that being armed is a good idea for
them. For many it is not. *I respect their choice either way. *

And that MAY work in the midwest or in rural areas. As I said, I'm not
totally against the concept, but around here, I can't imagine it doing
anything good.

Could be, don't know. I don't know where your "here" is or what it's
like.

Ed Huntress July 25th 09 06:27 PM

wrote:

[...]

As you consider the net effects of CCW laws in the shall-issue states, keep
in mind that the percentage of residents of those states who have permits,
let alone those who actually carry at any given time, is rarely over 2% of
the adult population. In Minnesota, for example, it's 1.48% of adults. In
Don's county it's slightly higher, but it's still much lower than these
discussions would lead one to believe.

So there are two issues: One is that the net effects of CCW are likely to be
very low, and I think it can be demonstrated that they're negligible in
virtually every state that has a shall-issue CCW law; and the other is that
the people on this NG are not very representative of typical adults in the
places where they live, regarding the initiative they take to arm
themselves.

Draw what conclusions you will from the latter point. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Don Foreman July 25th 09 07:57 PM

NJ Police state: update on pocket popper

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:03:25 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

[...]

I didn't assert that "gun controls didn't prevent deaths." I merely
noted that the assertion isn't ridiculous. It's certainly debatable.
My assertion was that, since it is already illegal to use a gun in
perpetration of a crime and illegal for felons to have guns,
additional gun control legislation would be redundant.

I made no assumption about what might motivated criminals to obtain
guns.

Perhaps your point is that gun control legislation against general
ownership would reduce availability of guns to criminals. By that
logic, illegal drugs should not be readily available because
possession of them is illegal for all. That clearly is not so.

whew Having gotten that off my chest g, the fact is that really strict
gun control DOES correspond to very low rates of deaths by firearms. For
example, most of Europe. And before you bring up Switzerland, remember that
I once lived there, and can tell you that their gun control is very strict
indeed.

You note that rates of criminal use of firearms tends to be low where
gun control is strict and strictly enforced. Perhaps criminal use of
guns is low where all criminal laws are strictly enforced.

This gets back to the cultural issue that intrigues me so much, because it's
clear that criminals in developed countries, who have some means and who
want guns, can get them almost anywhere, but most easily in the United
States. So it becomes a question of whether our criminals' culture makes
them more prone to gun use, or whether it's just a matter of relative
convenience: it's lot easier here to get your hands on a gun here, legally
or illegally. They're all over the place and it's easy to keep re-stocking
the criminal gun supply.

Obviously the latter is true, but my impression (from inductive reasoning
rather than deductive, so I won't claim any QEDs g) is that the cultural
issue is interactive with the availability issue -- each one feeding off the
other -- and that the presence of one gives rise to the other.

That's abductive rather than inductive, but certainly plausible.

Which implies that we're either going to vastly suppress gun ownership, or
we're going to have to live with high rates of gun crime, at least until the
cows come home -- and maybe until we're drinking synthetic milk and eating
soyburgers, and there are no more cows. Sooner or later the comforting
myths, such as the idea that carrying guns suppresses crime, will run out of
steam, and we'll have to face the bald fact that we can have guns or
substantially lower violent crime rates, but not both.

Your implication assumes that the only way to reduce gun crime rates
is to vastly suppress gun ownership. That is not at all clear, and
it isn't even clear that it would work. It hasn't worked with drugs.
If we have a "gun culture", and I won't argue that we don't, then
laws intended to vastly suppress gun ownership will make criminals
out of some citizens who are now law-abiding. What might work in
Europe may not work similarly here because of the cultural
differences you cite.

A more direct approach would be to vastly suppress criminal use of
guns in the commission of other crimes. Some research might be
necessary to determine the best way to do that in the U.S.

It's something like the security-versus-liberty issue. I happen to lean
strongly toward the liberty side. But then, I've never been shot at, either.

It is. How much of my liberty should we trade for how much more of
your security -- and how can we be sure that the proposed enhancement
of security will actually happen or if it's more illusory than real?

As an analogy, how do I know that I am increasing my security by
packing a popper at times? Frankly, I don't. It could be purely
illusory. It sure as hell has no deterrent effect on crime in
general. "Gee, we'd better not hold up the 7-11 because Foreman's out
for a walk with his .380." Uh...right!

Might be like having fire extinguishers in a slate mine. (Don't
laugh, they're required in Wales) If it makes me feel safer and
doesn't endanger or harm anyone else, then my liberty does not
compromise your security.