Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Liability & responsibility of electrician?

krw wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:15:19 -0700, jk wrote:

krw wrote:

That's unusual. All three phases are generally on each pole in
populated areas. Some rural areas do have only one phase distributed
down each road. It is uncommon to have all three phases run into a
home, though.

For SOME value of populated that may be true, but almost every where
I have lived, has only singe phase on the poles, in residential areas.
Nearest 3 ph to me is at least a half mile.

*Every* house I've ever lived in had 3-phase "on the pole". None had
3-phase service, though. My father wanted 3-phase service when they
built their house in '59, but the power company wanted a minimum of
$100/mo just to bring it down from the pole to the weather head.
Wasn't worth it for him to work at home.

Not true in rural areas. The normal lines around here are single phase.
There is a 3 phase line less than a mile away BUT it is a separate feed
that heads up to the school. I was very lucky because a gent toward the
end of the feed past my shop wanted 3 phase, He paid for almost 7 miles
of run. I don't even want to think of the price that cost!!! That meant
I didn't have to pay for it though.

--
Steve W.