Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT recommend a child sized .22 rifle

I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22717" wrote in message
I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

They're discontinued but if you can find a good used Remington 581 I'm sure
you'll be happy with it. (it's a 5 shot bolt action clip)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 1, 6:56*am, Ignoramus22717 ignoramus22...@NOSPAM.
22717.invalid wrote:
I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

See if you can find a Chipmunk, it's designed for the smaller set. No
magazine, has to be cocked every time. Comes in a variety of colors
for daughters as well as sons. There are also some single-shot top-
breaks that can be had with youth stocks, Rossi has combo shotgun/
rifle sets. Usually the youth stocks are for older kids, though.

For used, there are any number of "boys" rifles out there, the Stevens
Crackshot is one example. They're getting into the realm of the
collectors, though. A gun show is probably the best place to see a
variety, a pawn shop would be another. The problem with small bolt
action .22s is that a lot were used as barn guns and have been beat to
hell by now.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22717" wrote in message
I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

Why not an auto? I think Ruger made a short .22 carbine. Very nice, a
keeper for life.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 07:56:30 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus22717
scrawled the following:

I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

I thoroughly enjoyed Grandpa's old gun, a single-shot, bolt-action
Winchester 04A, which had been handed down to Dad, too. The only
problem with it today is that the iron sights are no longer as
accurate as they were when I was a teen. (Yeah, that sounds right. Its
sights changed, not mine.

P.S: I'm surprised at you, Ig. Why aren't you out machining up the
parts for a mini gatling gun?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-01, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed Grandpa's old gun, a single-shot, bolt-action
Winchester 04A, which had been handed down to Dad, too.

That's what I am looking for now.

The only problem with it today is that the iron sights are no longer
as accurate as they were when I was a teen. (Yeah, that sounds
right. Its sights changed, not mine.

I actually shoot better now than 10 years ago, because my hands
tremble less.

P.S: I'm surprised at you, Ig. Why aren't you out machining up the
parts for a mini gatling gun?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y

This reminds me that several years ago I sold a huge machinegun
cartridge belt...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 1, 7:56*am, Ignoramus22717 ignoramus22...@NOSPAM.
22717.invalid wrote:
I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

Hey Ig...I am a firm believer in using a BB or pellet rifle as the
first gun.

Limited potential for damage, low cost of operation and it allows your
child to develop their hand/eye coordination.

And if it is THEIR gun, the pride of ownership and learning how to
care for a possession is good to learn.

Bear in mind that a child's hand/eye coordination evolves and at about
ten years and older is it sufficient for shooting.

And of course making sure they have adequate training for a firearm is
a given.

I seem to recall you live in the snow belt...if so, one could set up a
shooting range in your basement (if you have one) and the winter can
be a time of father/son developing their shooting skills.

Have fun and shoot safe.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 1, 5:59*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Hey Ig...I am a firm believer in using a BB or pellet rifle as the
first gun.

TMT

Excellent post.

Pellet rifle is a excellent choice. And it can meet you listed
criteria. Single shot, .22 caliber.

If you choose a pellet rifle, be sure you check how hard the trigger
pull is. My son bought a inexpensive Beeman and the trigger pull is
too much for his son. It is one of the rifles that cocks a spring
and the trigger releases the spring. I smoothed up the sear, but it
still has too high a trigger pull.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22717" wrote in message
I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

If you're set on a .22 rather than air power, get a 10/22 and he can enjoy
it for life. Single-shot? Slug the 10 rd. magazine so it'll only take one
rd.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 10:37:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 1, 5:59*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Hey Ig...I am a firm believer in using a BB or pellet rifle as the
first gun.

TMT

Excellent post.

Pellet rifle is a excellent choice. And it can meet you listed
criteria. Single shot, .22 caliber.

If you choose a pellet rifle, be sure you check how hard the trigger
pull is. My son bought a inexpensive Beeman and the trigger pull is
too much for his son. It is one of the rifles that cocks a spring
and the trigger releases the spring. I smoothed up the sear, but it
still has too high a trigger pull.

My Dad wouldn't let me get/have a BB gun until many years
after I had been using powder rifles and shotguns. Was
afraid it would teach me that guns were toys and not to be
respected...

I'm fond of the Ruger M77/22 series. It would give you bolt
action, rotary clip, available in stainless, iron sites or
scope mounting... really nice guns for a modest price. See:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProd...Yes&type=Rifle

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

If you choose a pellet rifle, be sure you check how hard the trigger
pull is. My son bought a inexpensive Beeman and the trigger pull is
too much for his son. It is one of the rifles that cocks a spring
and the trigger releases the spring. I smoothed up the sear, but it
still has too high a trigger pull.

The other issue would be cocking the spring, that could be a safety feature if the father
needs to do it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22717 wrote:

I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

There is the Cricket and the Chipmunk.

http://www.crickett.com/CrickettRifl...kettrifle.html

Rogue Rifle Company Inc (Chipmunk)

1114 Birch Ave, Lewiston, ID 83501-5517

Contact Phone: (208) 746-5401

My google fu for a web site for the Chipmunks manufacturer isn't working tonight.

Given the convoluted laws of Illinois, can he even touch a rifle without a FOID?

Anyway, if you buy him a rifle, the bolt action that is single feed is my recommendation.

Safer, instills make every shot count over spray and pray.

You really should move to Indiana.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22717 wrote:
I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

I have both a chipmunk and and a "mini-bolt youth" rifle (made by
Henry repeating arms) that my kids used. I think that of the two the
Henry is a much nicer rifle. Both are single shot, manual cock bolt rifles.

Both are serviceable, light and well proportioned for kiddie size. I
like them both, but I (and the kids) seem to reach for the Henry most of
the time.

I think the Henry has much nicer sights (fiber optic), a somewhat
nicer trigger, and overall better fit and finish. I like the synthetic
stock for kids, it has withstood the type of handling that kids tend to
dish out without scars.

I've seen and handled the Crickets as well, though never shot with one.
They look nicely made as well, similar to the Henry.

If you are looking to buy something new, I don't think you can go
wrong with any of those. Not all that expensive, if I recall correctly.

-Al A.

Henry he

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h005_minibolt.cfm

Cricket he

http://www.crickett.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22717 wrote:
I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

Iggy, my first gun was a break-action pellet rifle.
That's a good natural progression from a BB gun.
Very accurate, scope mounts, much more powerful.
You can buy a nice one for $100, with good wood stock and a scope if you
shop some.

For a .22 rimfire, my first was an Ithaca 49, which is a single-shot
lever action styled like the classic Winchester, except in youth size.
If you can find a nice one it will cost you $150 or more, but it's a
fine, durable gun and will retain it's value.

If you go rimfire, consider starting him out with CB caps. Shoots like a
pellet gun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-01, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus22717 wrote:

I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

There is the Cricket and the Chipmunk.

http://www.crickett.com/CrickettRifl...kettrifle.html

Rogue Rifle Company Inc (Chipmunk)

1114 Birch Ave, Lewiston, ID 83501-5517

Contact Phone: (208) 746-5401

My google fu for a web site for the Chipmunks manufacturer isn't working tonight.

Given the convoluted laws of Illinois, can he even touch a rifle without a FOID?

I think so:

``Not necessarily. The FOID Act exempts unemancipated minors while in
the custody and immediate control of their parent, legal guardian, or
other person in loco parentis to the minor as long as their parent,
legal guardian, or other person in loco parentis to the minor has a
valid FOID card in their possession.''

Anyway, if you buy him a rifle, the bolt action that is single feed is my recommendation.

I agree.

Safer, instills make every shot count over spray and pray.

You really should move to Indiana.

I was there very many times, I am not sure if it is "my kind of
place". I rather liked Oklahoma, however.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProd...mid&famid=40&v....

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b

Correct....guns are NEVER toys.

Too many adults have not figured that out.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 1, 12:41*pm, Ignoramus22717 ignoramus22...@NOSPAM.
On 2009-07-01, wrote:

On Jul 1, 5:59?pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Hey Ig...I am a firm believer in using a BB or pellet rifle as the
first gun.

TMT

Excellent post.

Pellet rifle is a excellent choice. *And it can meet you listed
criteria. *Single shot, .22 caliber.

That's what we use now and will use for some time, a cheap BB rifle. I
am thinking 2 years from now, he would probably be looking for an
upgrade.

The nice thing about BB, of course, is that we can safely shoot it in
our yard.

If you choose a pellet rifle, be sure you check how hard the trigger
pull is. *My son bought a inexpensive Beeman and the trigger pull is
too much for his son. *It is one of the rifles that cocks *a spring
and the trigger releases the spring. *I smoothed up the sear, but it
still has too high a trigger pull.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

Ig...while I am not the hunting type in my youth I developed my
shooting skills shooting flies.

And on a ranch there are lots of flies.

With my first BB gun and lots of practice, I never had to shoot twice
to hit any fly....and from considerable distances that allowed me to
learn and understand gravity, effects of wind, ammo differences, etc.

The development of the hand/eye/breathing coordination during the
preteen (8-12) years will be something that your son will carry with
him through life to anything that requires good hand/eye coordination.
That coordination is developed by many hours of repetitive practice.
To ensure that, setting up a safe shooting situation like a range
where he can practice is as important as the gun.

I would also suggest making this a father-son effort...the time
together is the most important component.

Last but not least, make very sure that he understands this is not a
toy.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22717" wrote in message
I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

I bought my son a Rossi youth combo set. It came with a 22 barrel and a 410
Shotgun barrel. They have one now that also has a muzzle loader barrel.
The one I bought his was slightly used but excellent condition for $110
including both barrels. We put a red dot sight on the 22 barrel, a nice
single shot.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 08:42:53 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 07:56:30 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus22717
scrawled the following:

I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

I thoroughly enjoyed Grandpa's old gun, a single-shot, bolt-action
Winchester 04A, which had been handed down to Dad, too. The only
problem with it today is that the iron sights are no longer as
accurate as they were when I was a teen. (Yeah, that sounds right. Its
sights changed, not mine.

P.S: I'm surprised at you, Ig. Why aren't you out machining up the
parts for a mini gatling gun?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y

I'm not certain where it came from but my older brother still has the
..22 we both learned to shoot. It is a single shot, bolt action Eatonia
mounted on a Savage stock. He used to shoot Partridge (Ruffed Grouse)
and rabbits with it, then when he was 11 he shot his first deer.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm currently refinishing a single shot .22 that I recently inherited. It's
a Stevens model 1915 falling block action. Originally chambered in .25
Stevens rimfire, I found a replacement barrel in .22 from Numrich. I
refinished the stock just because. The stock is just right for a youth with
a short pull and even though I haven't shot it yet, I expect a falling block
with a 24 inch barrel to be fairly accurate. You can still buy this model
new if you can find a shop to order it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Wow, talk about a good way to reduce the value of a true collectors piece!

Why didn't you just get one of the .22 favorite reproductions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, unless you know something I don't, this really isn't a collector item.
Many thousands of these were made in various calibers. It may be worth $100
if it were in really good condition, but this one is in fair (70%)
condition. I like to shoot what I own and the .25 caliber ammo is just too
hard to come by.

Also, the barrels are designed to be removed easily. There is thubscrew on
the bottom of the receiver. Unscrew that and the barrel slides out, new
barrel slides in. The falling block and extractor fit the .22 just fine. No
real reduction in value.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22717 wrote:

You really should move to Indiana.

I was there very many times, I am not sure if it is "my kind of
place". I rather liked Oklahoma, however.

Just move to the edge of the state.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I recall my Dad saying that at one point he wanted to raise some
chickens so he traded his single shot bolt action .25 cal. groundhog
gun for a setting hen and clutch of eggs.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good single shot
rifle in .22.

A bolt-action allows room for growth because it's a single shot
without the clip.

I'd strongly suggest a pellet rifle as either alternative or
supplement to a .22 rifle because it can be shot safely in the
basement or outdoors at a rather makeshift backstop. I suggest
pellet rather than BB because BB guns are not rifled. Pellet rifles
can be very accurate at ranges out to 50 yards.

You did say single-shot for him, but perhaps you'd like something for
yourself that he could also shoot from time to time. The Browning
SA-1 semiauto .22 is an exquisitely nice little rifle. These are back
in production, and they do occasionally turn up used They're small,
light, and amazingly accurate. They're not cheap. It was designed by
John Moses Browning. In fact, in the wiki about JMB at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning
the photo of JMB shows him holding this rifle. Note the size. It's
not too small for a grown man to enjoy shooting immensely. In fact,
it was what my dad used for hunting squirrels. He shot them in the
head, every time. I never saw him miss with that rifle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-03, Don Foreman wrote:
A bolt-action allows room for growth because it's a single shot
without the clip.

I'd strongly suggest a pellet rifle as either alternative or
supplement to a .22 rifle because it can be shot safely in the
basement or outdoors at a rather makeshift backstop. I suggest
pellet rather than BB because BB guns are not rifled. Pellet rifles
can be very accurate at ranges out to 50 yards.

Don. the problem with pellet rifles is that they require more effort
for cocking. For now we shoot a BB gun. I have a pellet rifle that is
clearly designed for adults (Gamo 1000, 1000 fps), and a cheap kids BB
gun, which we use for now.

So for now, and the next couple of years, I think that we will play
with a BB gun, but it is a good idea to buy a rifle now just in case.

I do not mind single shot for my own use. Any practical use of .22
rifles, like shooting at varmints from second floor, requires stealth
and allows only one shot anyway.

You did say single-shot for him, but perhaps you'd like something for
yourself that he could also shoot from time to time. The Browning
SA-1 semiauto .22 is an exquisitely nice little rifle. These are back
in production, and they do occasionally turn up used They're small,
light, and amazingly accurate. They're not cheap. It was designed by
John Moses Browning. In fact, in the wiki about JMB at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning
the photo of JMB shows him holding this rifle. Note the size. It's
not too small for a grown man to enjoy shooting immensely. In fact,
it was what my dad used for hunting squirrels. He shot them in the
head, every time. I never saw him miss with that rifle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31617 wrote in
:

So for now, and the next couple of years, I think that we will play
with a BB gun, but it is a good idea to buy a rifle now just in case.

I do not mind single shot for my own use. Any practical use of .22
rifles, like shooting at varmints from second floor, requires stealth
and allows only one shot anyway.

Take a look at the Crossman Challenger 2000. It's a very accurate entry
level match pellet rifle, powered by CO2. It has an adjustable
buttstock, so your son can grow into it. If you can find one used
(they've been discontinued), it is a great rifle. I got one for my
youngest step daughter when she was 10 and tiny. I took the existing
buttplate off & made an even thinner one so she could reach the trigger
properly. It's being replaced by the 2009, which is a pre-compressed air
rifle you fill off a scuba tank. There are a few places that still have
the 2000 in stock, but they are pricey:

http://www.priceinsanity.net/servlet...n-Corporation-
CH2000-Challenger/Detail

http://www.tpsannex.com/8030023.html

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 00:28:11 -0500, Ignoramus31617

On 2009-07-03, Don Foreman wrote:
A bolt-action allows room for growth because it's a single shot
without the clip.

I'd strongly suggest a pellet rifle as either alternative or
supplement to a .22 rifle because it can be shot safely in the
basement or outdoors at a rather makeshift backstop. I suggest
pellet rather than BB because BB guns are not rifled. Pellet rifles
can be very accurate at ranges out to 50 yards.

Don. the problem with pellet rifles is that they require more effort
for cocking. For now we shoot a BB gun. I have a pellet rifle that is
clearly designed for adults (Gamo 1000, 1000 fps), and a cheap kids BB
gun, which we use for now.

Crossman, Benjamin and Sheridan once made pellet rifles with rifled
barrels that were easy to cock. They'd accept 1 to 10 pumps for
varying power. A 10-year-old could easily manage them and they were
well-made with adjustable open sights, quite accurate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

I recall my Dad saying that at one point he wanted to raise some
chickens so he traded his single shot bolt action .25 cal. groundhog
gun for a setting hen and clutch of eggs.

I traded a single shot .22 rifle for my buzz box. Had a lot of fun with the
gun, but I have a lot more fun with the welder.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jul 1, 5:59*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Hey Ig...I am a firm believer in using a BB or pellet rifle as the
first gun.

TMT

Excellent post.

Pellet rifle is a excellent choice. And it can meet you listed
criteria. Single shot, .22 caliber.

If you choose a pellet rifle, be sure you check how hard the trigger
pull is. My son bought a inexpensive Beeman and the trigger pull is
too much for his son. It is one of the rifles that cocks a spring
and the trigger releases the spring. I smoothed up the sear, but it
still has too high a trigger pull.

Dan

Sheridan Blue Streak

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How old is your son, and how much shooting experience has
he?

Hint: People more greatly respect that which they work for.
Have him doing chores for several weeks to earn it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus22717" wrote
in message
I would like to buy a .22 rifle, something that I can
practice with my
son (and also I would shoot at pests). I would think that
commen sense
suggests single shot for kids, so, what would be a good
single shot
rifle in .22.

Can anyone recommend a child proof lock for an oven? [email protected] UK diy 60 July 29th 07 11:48 PM
Winchester Rifle Cliff Metalworking 112 January 29th 06 11:27 AM
Best .22 rifle? larsen-tools Metalworking 70 July 3rd 04 01:52 AM