Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Wasteland Called Ebay

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:23:41 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 6/29/2009 11:00 AM notbob spake thus:

Despite a perfect 100% rating as a seller, I've had enough.

Same here. I have (or had, before eBay queered the feedback rules) a
100% rating as both seller and buyer. But the deck is clearly stacked
against sellers (at least small, non-corporate, non-"store" sellers).

**** it.

You obviously missed the point of feedback. If 100% was the only rating worth
having, there was no differentiation between an occasional slow delivery and
an out-and-out fraudster.

The fact that sellers could and did use feedback as blackmail against buyers
caused it not to work. I speak as one that got two negative feedbacks, both in
retaliation to using the disputes procedure to recover money from fraudulent
sellers.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I agree. My wife was screwed to the tune of $1,200 on a purchase of art
glass that was not represented correctly (damaged, repaired, and not
disclosed). The seller played all kinds of games, refused to accept a
return. We gave them negative feedback, and they returned the favor. We
are out the $1,200 and have a negative that didn't belong there. This is a
perfect case where sellers shouldn't be able to give a negative.

Face it----if people don't regulate themselves, they will be regulated. If
you don't like how things shake out, make every effort to play fairly,
otherwise the other guy sets the rules.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And Harold I believe this type of event was repeated many times over
at Ebay.

Sellers misused the opportunity and the buyers have walked away.

I also note that sellers seem to be the ones who are really
complaining about the changes on Ebay.

While I think most sellers are honest and try to work with buyers, it
only takes a small number of the bad ones to ruin the situation for
everyone.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 10, 11:44*am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jul 10, 3:00*am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Hey check this out....maybe GM's big plan is to get rid of all their
dealers and sell on line.

TMT

General Motors to try selling new cars on eBay

* By RACHEL METZ, AP Technology Writer - Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:07PM EDT

NEW YORK -

As part of its turnaround plan, General Motors Corp. said Friday it
plans to experiment with auctioning new cars on eBay, expanding on an
existing partnership covering certified used vehicles on the online
marketplace.

GM CEO Fritz Henderson said the company is working on an "innovative
new partnership" with eBay Inc. to let consumers in California bid on
vehicles as they would in a normal eBay auction, or choose a "Buy it
Now" option to purchase the car at a set price. Dealers would still
distribute the cars.

A deal between eBay and GM hasn't been completed yet, however, and
both sides say they have been in discussions.

GM spokesman John McDonald said the company sees the sales of new cars
on eBay as an experiment that builds upon the existing partnership in
used vehicles. Certified preowned vehicles from GM, along with other
carmakers, are currently offered for sale on eBay Motors, eBay's
online auto marketplace.

McDonald said GM is trying to get a deal done to start testing the new
car sales on eBay in the "next couple of weeks." His remarks lacked
the certainty Henderson used in a statement earlier Friday, where he
said the company will start the sales and other ideas with car dealers
in the next few weeks.

McDonald also noted that some GM dealers already independently list
vehicles on eBay, and said this experiment could be a way to bring
other GM dealers on board.

The announcement comes as GM completed an unusually quick exit from
bankruptcy protection on Friday with ambitions of making money and
building cars people are eager to buy. Once the world's largest and
most powerful automaker, new GM is now leaner, cleansed of massive
debt and burdensome contracts that would have sunk it without federal
loans.

EBay Motors allows users to buy and sell new and used cars either
locally or nationally. The site also offers motorcycles, boats and
auto parts and accessories.

In a statement, eBay Motors vice president Rob Chesney said "at this
time, no plans have been finalized with General Motors."

Chesney also said eBay was "excited about a potential new adventure
that supports GM's dealers by expanding on how they already reach
consumers through new approaches."

It remains to be seen how any such deal will ultimately play out for
the ailing automaker and the online marketplace operator.

RBC Capital Markets analyst Stephen Ju said bringing another name
brand onto eBay may help it increase buyer confidence — something that
the San Jose, Calif.-based company has been trying to improve.

"For them it's all win-win," he said. "A chunk of revenue is coming in
your direction for helping GM sell autos on your platform. Why would
you turn that down?"

EBay shares rose 21 cents to finish trading at $16.30, while shares in
Detroit-based GM shot up 31 cents, or 37.4 percent, to $1.15.