Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleaning Stainless Steel

I have a thin stainless steel that has smudges on it and I cannot get them
cleaned off. What is a good cleaner to use for stainless that would work
on rust and dirt between microscopic defects in the steel?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

W wrote:
I have a thin stainless steel that has smudges on it and I cannot get them
cleaned off. What is a good cleaner to use for stainless that would work
on rust and dirt between microscopic defects in the steel?

Bar Keepers Friend

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:28:03 -0700, the infamous "W"
scrawled the following:

I have a thin stainless steel that has smudges on it and I cannot get them
cleaned off. What is a good cleaner to use for stainless that would work
on rust and dirt between microscopic defects in the steel?

Run on down to Wally World and pick up a tube of MAAS.

It's good schtuffs, Maynard.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try Sheila Shine (I bought mine at Ace Hardware).. joel in rust
central
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I tried the MAAS and that does get off the old rust. It does however leave
some kind of polish/residue behind on the steel. What used to be a very
dull stainless finish becomes a shiny finish. Do you know how to get off
the MAAS completely so we can return to the dull finish?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:28:03 -0700, the infamous "W"
scrawled the following:

I have a thin stainless steel that has smudges on it and I cannot get them
cleaned off. What is a good cleaner to use for stainless that would work
on rust and dirt between microscopic defects in the steel?

Run on down to Wally World and pick up a tube of MAAS.

It's good schtuffs, Maynard.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man.
-- Euripides

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that W fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:28:03 -0700:

I have a thin stainless steel that has smudges on it and I cannot get them
cleaned off. What is a good cleaner to use for stainless that would work
on rust and dirt between microscopic defects in the steel?

Scotchbright pad. Red or white(fine-veryfine).
--

Dan H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:
What's that Lassie? You say that W fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:28:03 -0700:

I have a thin stainless steel that has smudges on it and I cannot get them
cleaned off. What is a good cleaner to use for stainless that would work
on rust and dirt between microscopic defects in the steel?

Scotchbright pad. Red or white(fine-veryfine).

The active ingredient in Barkeeper's Friend is Oxalic Acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalic_acid

It works quite well in removing rust stains from stainless steel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:42:25 -0700, the infamous "W"
scrawled the following:

I tried the MAAS and that does get off the old rust. It does however leave
some kind of polish/residue behind on the steel. What used to be a very
dull stainless finish becomes a shiny finish. Do you know how to get off
the MAAS completely so we can return to the dull finish?

Wirebrush (see Tawm) or belt sandah, of course.

I dunno. Ask MAAS to suggest a cleaner.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man.
-- Euripides
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 9:52*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:42:25 -0700, the infamous "W"
scrawled the following:

I tried the MAAS and that does get off the old rust. * It does however leave
some kind of polish/residue behind on the steel. * What used to be a very
dull stainless finish becomes a shiny finish. * * Do you know how to get off
the MAAS completely so we can return to the dull finish?

Usually, one passivates stainless (forming the oxide layer) with
an oxidizing acid. I always used dilute nitric acid.
Probably it's not a 'residue' that changed the appearance,
but the removal of an oxidized layer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:
On Jun 19, 9:52 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:42:25 -0700, the infamous "W"
scrawled the following:

I tried the MAAS and that does get off the old rust. It does however leave
some kind of polish/residue behind on the steel. What used to be a very
dull stainless finish becomes a shiny finish. Do you know how to get off
the MAAS completely so we can return to the dull finish?

Usually, one passivates stainless (forming the oxide layer) with
an oxidizing acid. I always used dilute nitric acid.
Probably it's not a 'residue' that changed the appearance,
but the removal of an oxidized layer.

The problem is that MAAS is a metal POLISH not a cleaner.
Bar Keepers Friend is just a stainless cleaner. It doesn't change the
appearance of the stainless but it does clean off the crud.

If you use it on cooking pots make SURE you rinse it very well.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
whit3rd wrote:
On Jun 19, 9:52 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:42:25 -0700, the infamous "W"
scrawled the following:

I tried the MAAS and that does get off the old rust. It does however
leave
some kind of polish/residue behind on the steel. What used to be a
very
dull stainless finish becomes a shiny finish. Do you know how to
get off
the MAAS completely so we can return to the dull finish?

Usually, one passivates stainless (forming the oxide layer) with
an oxidizing acid. I always used dilute nitric acid.
Probably it's not a 'residue' that changed the appearance,
but the removal of an oxidized layer.

The problem is that MAAS is a metal POLISH not a cleaner.
Bar Keepers Friend is just a stainless cleaner. It doesn't change the
appearance of the stainless but it does clean off the crud.

That is a really important point and thanks for making it. It looks like
Bar Keepers Friend is actually an acid, so I guess that is re oxidizing the
surface of the metal?

If you use it on cooking pots make SURE you rinse it very well.

Can we just wipe it off with alcohol?

cleaning blackened stainless steel devonsteve UK diy 10 November 23rd 08 04:53 PM
Cleaning stainless steel? donh Home Repair 3 September 4th 06 04:02 AM
Cleaning stainless steel Blair UK diy 29 October 21st 05 01:33 PM
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware nog UK diy 14 July 27th 05 02:37 PM
Stainless Steel Cleaning SCOTT Home Repair 4 January 8th 05 11:04 PM