Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drill leverage - old man??

I lost my access to a mag drill The radial arm drill won't go outside to
the driveway I got some large holes through thick steel on my list for
tomorrow.

I just barely remember mention of a device to leverage my Milwaukee drill. I
think it was called an old man. Suggestions?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I lost my access to a mag drill The radial arm drill won't go outside
to the driveway I got some large holes through thick steel on my list
for tomorrow.

I just barely remember mention of a device to leverage my Milwaukee drill.
I think it was called an old man. Suggestions?

Karl

A U-shaped frame tack welded over the hole site and fitted with a presssure
screw to press against the back of the drill is a rig I have seen
millwrights use. You could probably do something similar using a lever for
pressure.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 8:55*pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I lost my access to a mag drill *The radial arm drill won't go outside to
the driveway * I got some large holes through thick steel on my list for
tomorrow.

I just barely remember mention of a device to leverage my Milwaukee drill.. I
think it was called an old man. Suggestions?

Karl

I just got done drilling some holes in a truck frame with my
Milwaukee. I put it facing up with floor jack pushing on the D
handle. Worked pretty well and gave better than expected control.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I lost my access to a mag drill The radial arm drill won't go outside to
the driveway I got some large holes through thick steel on my list for
tomorrow.

I just barely remember mention of a device to leverage my Milwaukee drill. I
think it was called an old man. Suggestions?

Karl

You can readily rent a mag drill you know...

If you don't need perfect precise holes, I'd say a plasma cutter and a
template would be fast and easy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A guy had a bench type drill press and needed to do a job like yours.
He inverted the drill press head on the column and used it to push UP.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Karl Townsend wrote:
I lost my access to a mag drill The radial arm drill won't go outside to
the driveway I got some large holes through thick steel on my list for
tomorrow.

I just barely remember mention of a device to leverage my Milwaukee drill. I
think it was called an old man. Suggestions?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 5:55*pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I lost my access to a mag drill *The radial arm drill won't go outside to
the driveway * I got some large holes through thick steel on my list for
tomorrow.

I just barely remember mention of a device to leverage my Milwaukee drill.. I
think it was called an old man. Suggestions?

Karl

You may be thinking of a Cole Drill (they also make a vise). You can
hand drill 1/2" holes through steel plate with one of these. You can
even drill through a drill without power.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 18, 10:52*am, N Morrison wrote:

You may be thinking of a Cole Drill (they also make a vise). You can
hand drill 1/2" holes through steel plate with one of these. You can
even drill through a drill without power.

http://rustyiron.com/engines/coledrill/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just barely remember mention of a device to leverage my Milwaukee drill.
think it was called an old man. Suggestions?

I did a search on google RCM. It is indeed called an old man. here's a link
to a patent application for it:
http://brevets-patents.ic.gc.ca/opic...4/summary.html

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I sent you an offer for the drill a while ago

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 18, 9:03*pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:
I have a friend with a cole drill and vise for sale, we have an offer for
the vise if I could find someone who wanted the drill

so want a drill?

I doubt that my offer would come near what it's worth. 25 years ago
these were about $200, IIRC.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 23:04:10 -0700 (PDT), N Morrison
wrote:

On Jun 18, 9:03*pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:
I have a friend with a cole drill and vise for sale, we have an offer for
the vise if I could find someone who wanted the drill

so want a drill?

I doubt that my offer would come near what it's worth. 25 years ago
these were about $200, IIRC.

I picked one up at the Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena last Sunday.
5 bucks.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 3:47*pm, Brian Lawson wrote:

I picked one up at the Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena last Sunday.
5 bucks.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Have you stopped grinning yet?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:46:15 -0700 (PDT), N Morrison
wrote:

On Jun 19, 3:47*pm, Brian Lawson wrote:

I picked one up at the Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena last Sunday.
5 bucks.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Have you stopped grinning yet?

Ha ha ha......Not quite!! Or should that be a sly heh heh heh!!

There was one other sorta funny thing that happened too.
I also had an Albrecht chuck in pristine condition that I got from Jon
Banquer, and in profile it looks a bit like a bomb or a hand-grenade.
And I had picked up a Browne&Sharp gear vernier for 6 bucks in Newport
Beach at a Thrift Store. (I'll never use it, or even know how, but
for 6 bucks (that's 6 bucks!!!!), it's mine!!)
So here's me at LAX with these three gadgets stuffed in the checked
bags, and my wife ragging on me (as only a wife can do) that I should
have done "the Box Brothers thing and sent all those funny tool things
to a friend in Detroit instead of trying to take this stuff on the
plane!!!".
Now at some airports, once you hand the bags to the airline, they just
disappear down a conveyor. But at LAX, you check them at the airline
counter (and now for $15 per checked bag by the way!!!), they put a
sticker on each one, and YOU take them over to the TSA "X-ray" machine
or whatever it is. So as I sent them down at his feet, I warned the
TSA agent that there were some "strange things" in the checked bags
that he might see.

He looked at me like I was nuts, and says (loudly)
"STRANGE !!!! "
"STRANGE!!! "
"YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT STRANGE IS UNTIL YOU'VE DONE THIS JOB FOR A
COUPLE OF YEARS !!!"
I laughed like hell !! Probably gave him the best giggle he got all
day!!
The bags went through without comment and were on the carousel in
Detroit when we got there.

But you are right Heh heh heh!!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The day I scrounged a piece of steel 1 x 4 x12" during a site visit in
Montreal. On checking in for the flight back to Toronto, it was
requested that I put it in it's woven poly bag into a suitcase box and
check it. I complied with their request, thinking "oh well, it was
free". On arrival in Toronto, I was surprised to find that the item
hadn't even loosened the tape holding it in place in the bottom of the
box.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada