Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is this right torque seuence?

On 2009-06-03, stryped wrote:
My Haynes manual shows a picture of a head gasket and points to the
bolt holes in the gasket with numbers for the torque sequence
something like this:

7 3 1 5
0 0 0
8 4 2 6

(O's are cylinders)

The way I did it was number one bolt when working on passanger side
was 2nd from front of vehicle. Number one bolt when working on drivers
side was second bolt from firewall. Is this correct?

A three cylinder engine? Not that common.

But what *I* would do is torque in the following sequence
(starting from your image)

5 3 1 8
0 0 0
7 2 4 6

But pretty much any pattern starting in the center and working
out symmetrically should do.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3 Jun 2009 20:48:20 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

A three cylinder engine? Not that common.

Try six :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On 3 Jun 2009 20:48:20 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

A three cylinder engine? Not that common.

Try six :-)

Reminds me of a high school friend visiting my shop many years ago. He took
one look at an inline 6 cylinder head in the trash can and exclaimed "Wow,
you rebuilt a V-12!!!" We went pretty hard on him for quite some time after,
teasing him about the V-12 in my street car. This was about 1970.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-06-03, Mark Rand wrote:
On 3 Jun 2009 20:48:20 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

A three cylinder engine? Not that common.

Try six :-)

Opps! Of course a V-6 would have it. I tend to think of 6
cylinder ones as the old inline ones. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim wrote:
"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On 3 Jun 2009 20:48:20 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

A three cylinder engine? Not that common.

Try six :-)

Reminds me of a high school friend visiting my shop many years ago. He took
one look at an inline 6 cylinder head in the trash can and exclaimed "Wow,
you rebuilt a V-12!!!" We went pretty hard on him for quite some time after,
teasing him about the V-12 in my street car. This was about 1970.

Want a V-12? I've got a nice Jag 6.0 HE out of an XJ12 sitting on the
shop floor. Looks great, other than the 3 holes out through the bottom!!!

Owner cried when I told him what the replacement was going to cost. He
told me his kid was out showing off and decided to play street racer...
Kid would be laying under the grass if he was mine.

He may get lucky though. I am sending to a local jag guru to see if the
block can be salvaged by TIG welding it back together. I don't even want
to try that one. Already found a crank and rod/piston/sleeve set.

I am VERY VERY glad this thing isn't mine, I can buy a complete car for
the price of the parts he needs!

--
Steve W.

Torque D.M. Procida UK diy 3 January 12th 09 02:22 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 07:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 10:51 PM
All Torque? The Medway Handyman UK diy 19 August 1st 07 11:14 PM
Torque Nirvana Woodturning 17 October 13th 05 02:42 AM