Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Supplier of plastic block for a mockup

I have a project in mind that I would like to machine in aluminum but
I would like to mockup with plastic. Can anyone recommend a supplier?
Need a block approx 15" X 6" X 3".

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jim n judy" wrote: (clip) Need a block approx 15" X 6" X 3".
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I buy all my plastic from TAP, who have a store in my neighborhood. The
stuff in their scrap bin that is sold cheaply by the pound. Frequently, if
it's a small amount, they just give it to me. You won't find a piece that
size in their scrap, and possibly not in the whole store, but it is very
easy to cement Lucite (or Plexiglass.) You may be able to save material and
machining by gluing up some scraps and then finishing to final size and
shape.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jim n judy wrote:

I have a project in mind that I would like to machine in aluminum but
I would like to mockup with plastic. Can anyone recommend a supplier?
Need a block approx 15" X 6" X 3".

Thanks

Check Mcmaster.com

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jim n judy wrote:
I have a project in mind that I would like to machine in aluminum but
I would like to mockup with plastic. Can anyone recommend a supplier?
Need a block approx 15" X 6" X 3".

Thanks

Here' machinable wax but it isn't cheap.
http://www.machinablewax.com/machina..._product_3.htm

Maybe glue up some wood 2" x 4"s?
RR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Where are you? In Seattle, I got a large (1'X4'X6" ) block of
polyethelene from Pacific Industrial. Been hacking lumps off it for
mockup and cnc proofing for 4 years now.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Thu, 28 May 2009 10:51:12 -0700 (PDT), jim n judy
wrote:

I have a project in mind that I would like to machine in aluminum but
I would like to mockup with plastic. Can anyone recommend a supplier?
Need a block approx 15" X 6" X 3".

Thanks

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I have a project in mind that I would like to machine in aluminum but
I would like to mockup with *plastic. Can anyone recommend a supplier?
Need a block approx 15" X 6" X 3".

Thanks

* * * *Home Page:http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
* * * If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes
* * Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive
*The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me
* * No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses * *
Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

"Where are you? In Seattle,"

No I am in NE Ohio but thanks for the tip. Will check them out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 28, 6:59*pm, Randy Replogle wrote:
jim n judy wrote:
I have a project in mind that I would like to machine in aluminum but
I would like to mockup with *plastic. Can anyone recommend a supplier?
Need a block approx 15" X 6" X 3".

Thanks

Here' machinable wax but it isn't cheap.http://www.machinablewax.com/machina..._product_3.htm

Maybe glue up some wood 2" x 4"s?
RR

Pattern makers used pine and maple among others. I've seen some
complex prototypes milled out of glued particle board. Currently I'm
milling one-offs for testing out of scraps of thick Plexiglas.

jsw