Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for Low Voltage, low speed motors?

Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor...
Final output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Stuart
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 May 2009 13:00:04 -0400, Stuart Wheaton
wrote:

Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor...
Final output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Stuart

http://www.surplussales.com/motors/Motors-1.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor... Final
output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Surplus center is the best bet. Might be more selection if you could go DC.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 May 2009 13:00:04 -0400, Stuart Wheaton wrote:

Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor...
Final output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Stuart

The other two suggestions, plus Herbach & Rademan (do a web search,
they'll pop up). H & R seems to be really good with motors,
electromechanical goodies, and pneumatics.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dude,

I happen to have some beauts: not sure if they will run on 24 AC, but I
know they run on 24 VDC. Super-high quality, super-high torque, about 10
rpm or so, swiss-made or sumpn. 10 years ago they were $300 ea, plus our
mods.
Leads may need soldering or sumpn....

If you have a ups #, you can check'em out.
If you like'em, find me some shots of Michelle in a bathing suit (or nude),
and I'll be happy.

If no ups #, I don't see myself getting to a post office any time
soon....

remove the UN to email me.

--

Mr. PV'd

Hey, Big Boy, is that a wad (of cash) in yer pocket, or are you just
glad to see me??

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor... Final
output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Stuart

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yer not a republican, are you?

Ahhhh, dudn't really matter.... last time Teddy Kennedy got me alone in a
bathroom, I was in the hospital for a week.....

--

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://www.surpluscenter.com/electr...tname=electric

It would help a lot if you gave some sort of idea how much power/torque
you need.

Also, you might find that running the 24VAC though a bridge rectifier
would give you a lot more choices plus reversing capability.

Karl Townsend wrote:
"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor... Final
output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Surplus center is the best bet. Might be more selection if you could go DC.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor...
Final output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Stuart

Ill check my stocks. Any particular hp range you need?

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

Yer not a republican, are you?

I can vouch that he isn't.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stuart Wheaton wrote:

Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor...
Final output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Stuart

http://www.goldmine-elec.com/MotorItems.html

hth,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 May 2009 15:23:20 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

About 1.25" dia, 4" long -- substantially bigger than gunner's dick, and
much, much heavier, and a whole lot more useful.

When my dick is limp. Indeed.

Ask your old lady how big it is when its happy.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 May 2009 17:15:10 -0400, Wes wrote:

Stuart Wheaton wrote:

Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor...
Final output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Just checked...nope..no 24vt AC motors.

Sorry Stu

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Just checked...nope..no 24vt AC motors.

Chit, blew right by the AC part. My bad. Sorry Stu.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for Low Voltage, low speed motors? THANKS ALL !

wrote:

Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor...
Final output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Stuart

http://www.surplussales.com/motors/Motors-1.html

Found one there that will do the job just fine. Thank you (and
everybody else) very much.

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stuart Wheaton wrote:

Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor...
Final output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Stuart

Here is 5 RPM, but its 120 VAC. If you can't find one with the
voltage you want, a 120 VAC to 24 VAC transformer will step up the 24
VAC for you.

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HAR&Product_Cod e=TM01MTR4455&Category_Code=MTR

Code: TM01MTR4455
Price: $9.95

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor...
Final output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Stuart

Windshield-wiper or window-winder motors have lots of torque.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Have a project that needs a low voltage, preferably 24 VAC, motor...
Final output will be about 5 rpm, but I have freedom to build in as much
reduction as I need, McMaster and Grainger don't offer much in low V ac
motors, anybody got a good source? Only need one, budget in the $100 or
less range.

Dpending on the horsepower you need, you will have a LOT better luck
installing a rectifier on your prroject and looking at 24 VDC motors -
24 VAC isn't normally used for anything over sub-fractional motors in
the 1/50th and under range.

Budget "in the $100 range" totally eliminates getting something
built custom.

The only reason I can think of where AC is really necessary is you
need a synchronous motor for speed control - they make DC motors with
feedback controllers to hold the set RPM regardless of load.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Depending on the horsepower you need, you will have a LOT better luck
installing a rectifier on your prroject and looking at 24 VDC motors -
24 VAC isn't normally used for anything over sub-fractional motors in
the 1/50th and under range.

I was about to mention that a full wave bridge would make a lot of motors acceptable. That
is unless the op is using a vfd in the design.

Wes