DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   South Bend 10K (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/277224-south-bend-10k.html)

No Name May 4th 09 09:19 PM

South Bend 10K

I am thinking of buying a 10K (heavy) South Bend lathe I know that it is out
of production and that SBL is not making any lathes now that I know of. Can
I still get new parts for the 10K from SBL?

Tim[_20_] May 4th 09 09:42 PM

South Bend 10K

wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a 10K (heavy) South Bend lathe I know that it is
out of production and that SBL is not making any lathes now that I know of.
Can I still get new parts for the 10K from SBL?

You might check the model number with these guys.

http://southbendlathe.com/parts.aspx

ATP* May 4th 09 09:54 PM

South Bend 10K

wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a 10K (heavy) South Bend lathe I know that it is
out of production and that SBL is not making any lathes now that I know of.
Can I still get new parts for the 10K from SBL?

The 10L is the heavy one, counter-intuitively.Check the southbendlathe group
on Yahoo.

[email protected] May 4th 09 11:30 PM

South Bend 10K

On 4 May, 21:19, wrote:
I am thinking of buying a 10K (heavy) South Bend lathe I know that it is out
of production and that SBL is not making any lathes now that I know of. *Can
I still get new parts for the 10K from SBL?

South Bend has been bought by Grizzly.He intends to produce certain
models.Quite a bit about it on the SB forum on PM.

Jim Wilkins May 4th 09 11:37 PM

South Bend 10K

On May 4, 4:19*pm, wrote:
I am thinking of buying a 10K (heavy) South Bend lathe I know that it is out
of production and that SBL is not making any lathes now that I know of. *Can
I still get new parts for the 10K from SBL?

Sometimes, but the price is high. There are several after-market
sources for accessories, two near me;
http://www.plazamachinery.com/
http://www.tools4cheap.net/

You may have to compete with restorers (like me) for original SB
parts.

One in good condition makes a very nice home shop lathe, but they are
somewhat like a classic car that you may fuss over more than drive.

jsw

Steve Lusardi May 5th 09 07:57 PM

South Bend 10K

I bought my 10K new in 1981 direct from SBL. I love it. It has limitations,
but it does things my other two lathes does not. Age is an issue. Many are
clapped out, buy a good one and you won't regret it. They are far better
than any Chinese lathe in the same size and they will retain their value.
Steve

ATP* May 5th 09 10:02 PM

South Bend 10K

"ATP*" wrote in message

wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a 10K (heavy) South Bend lathe I know that it is
out of production and that SBL is not making any lathes now that I know
of. Can I still get new parts for the 10K from SBL?

The 10L is the heavy one, counter-intuitively.Check the southbendlathe
group on Yahoo.

also:

http://southbendlathe.com/home.aspx

Read the website, you will see that the 10K is not the "heavy" 10.