Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Breakaway" Shelf?

Mr. Horse is part or all thoroughbred, isn't a good doer, and needs lots
of grain to keep his weight up.

Mr. Pony (AKA Founder-Boy) is a greedy ******* who could live on
thistles and air, but he's smart and he likes grain. Unfortunately it
makes him fat in the long run, and in the short run it can make him
founder (he's foundered more than once before, so he's particularly
susceptible).

Our feeding stalls are laid out with a shelf about 18" high, for feed,
and a window into the feed bay about 30" high. The windows are high
enough that Mr. Pony can't reach through to get hay piled up on the
floor of the feed bay, but Mr. Horse can.

Recently, Mr. Pony has learned that he can step up on the shelves and
eat all the hay that he wants. Not only does this make him fat (and
more prone to foundering), the shelves aren't strong enough for him, and
he's already punched a hoof through the surface of one of them which
just ain't safe.

So the horses are locked out of the feeding stalls while we ponder.

I'm thinking of replacing the shelves with something akin to a breakaway
basketball basket -- i.e. something that'll handle the strain of Mr.
Horse licking the thing clean, but will collapse when Mr. Pony tries to
stand on it.

But I need a latch -- I'm thinking that a good strong magnet working on
an iron strap would work, but would attract crap. Alternately,
something akin to a BIG cabinet latch would do.

It has to support probably between 20 and 100 pounds of eagerly-licking
horse, but not the 500 pounds of the front half of the pony, and in the
"breakaway" position it can't have any protrusions that may cut up a
(likely alarmed) equine.

Any suggestions?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
[...]

a set of hinges and a couple large supermagnets buried into the shelf, and a
piece of iron in the wall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

charlie wrote:
[...]

That's high on the list of possibilities.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

charlie wrote:
[...]

How about pony burgers?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 28, 11:38*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Alternative, spring-load the shelf ala those dish handlers they use in
cafeterias. Spring is stiff enough to hold up feed plus eager heads,
heads floorward on a wall-mounted track or tracks when stomped on.
Might need some sort of damping on the return stroke( car or
mortorcycle shock?). Or use a pulley+counterweight instead of the
spring, still would need the damper.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

It has to support probably between 20 and 100 pounds of
eagerly-licking
horse, but not the 500 pounds of the front half of the pony, and

in
the "breakaway" position it can't have any protrusions that may

cut
up a (likely alarmed) equine.

How about some gas springs with slow recovery? The shelf would simply
collapse under the weight, then gradually (rather than suddenly and
dangerously) right itself.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

charlie wrote:
[...]

I suggested wrapping a come-along around the little *******'s neck and
tightening it until grain couldn't get through, but SWMBO took a dim
view of that (they're her horses).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My thought is perhaps you can train Mr. Pony not to climb. My friend had a
horse I used to enjoy petting. One time about 5 years ago I leaned a little
too close to the hot wire while petting the horse and the path to ground
went through the horses nose. To this day the horse will not come close
enough to take a carrot from me.

Perhaps you could rig a photo electric beam in such a way as the taller
horse could feed with out getting zapped but the smaller horse standing on
the shelf would get zapped if he was sticking his nose where it did not
belong?

Very pavlovian, but probably effective.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

My thought is perhaps you can train Mr. Pony not to climb. My friend had a
horse I used to enjoy petting. One time about 5 years ago I leaned a little
too close to the hot wire while petting the horse and the path to ground
went through the horses nose. To this day the horse will not come close
enough to take a carrot from me.

Perhaps you could rig a photo electric beam in such a way as the taller
horse could feed with out getting zapped but the smaller horse standing on
the shelf would get zapped if he was sticking his nose where it did not
belong?

Very pavlovian, but probably effective.

A simpler approach would be to rig it so the juice comes on if the
weight on the shelf exceeds say 200 pounds. The natural deflection of
the shelf under load plus a well-placed microswitch ought to do it.

Joe Gwinn