DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rear view mirror (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/276624-rear-view-mirror.html)

Leo Lichtman[_2_] April 24th 09 10:25 PM

Rear view mirror

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep
pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and
does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have a
suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

Wes[_2_] April 24th 09 10:45 PM

Rear view mirror

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep
pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and
does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have a
suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

There is a wick and lock product but you better like where you put it.

Wes

Jordan April 25th 09 01:30 AM

Rear view mirror

Leo Lichtman wrote:
One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding,

Try wrapping a piece of abrasive paper around the ball.

Jordan

Karl Townsend April 25th 09 01:49 AM

Rear view mirror

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep
pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and
does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have
a suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

My standard trick to increase friction is to peen it with a center punch.
You want to get a couple peened areas under the socket.

Karl

Larry Jaques April 25th 09 03:20 AM

Rear view mirror

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:25:33 -0700, the infamous "Leo Lichtman"
scrawled the following:

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep
pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and
does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have a
suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

I tightened a loose joint for a truck visor by removing it and
tensioning the spring more from the back with shims. See if you can
get to the spring on that mirror or "persuade" the sheetmetal cover
over the back to do that for you mit der punch unt hammah.

--
I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all. --Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)

JR North April 25th 09 03:33 AM

Rear view mirror

Peen the socket sides with a center punch with the mirror properly
adjusted. Should give you a detent-type lock.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
eo Lichtman wrote:

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep
pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and
does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have a
suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Leo Lichtman[_2_] April 25th 09 05:07 AM

Rear view mirror

Thanks, guys. Several good ideas here. Now I have to decide in what order
to try them. Easy and likely to succeed go to the top of the list.
Difficult or likely to interfere with others I might want to try go to the
bottom. I think I'll try to find Wick and Lock, as suggested by Wes, since
these are convex mirrors, so exact position is not too critical.

Pirateer guy April 25th 09 01:40 PM

Rear view mirror

a globof epoxy will do it.
I have to believe a truck mirror for a semi is cheaper than anything
lock tite sells.

Leo Lichtman[_2_] April 25th 09 05:50 PM

Rear view mirror

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote: (clip) I have to believe a truck mirror for a
semi is cheaper than anything
lock tite sells.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but I don't think a truck mirror on one side of my little scooter
would look right ;-).

Michael A. Terrell April 25th 09 08:13 PM

Rear view mirror

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote: (clip) I have to believe a truck mirror for a
semi is cheaper than anything
lock tite sells.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but I don't think a truck mirror on one side of my little scooter
would look right ;-).

Then put on both mirrors, so you can balance it. Of course, a good
set of mirrors might be worth more than the scooter.

Leo Lichtman[_2_] April 25th 09 08:46 PM

Rear view mirror

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote: Then put on both mirrors, so you can balance
it. Of course, a good
set of mirrors might be worth more than the scooter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But still less than a squeeze bottle of Lok-tite?

Jim Wilkins April 25th 09 09:13 PM

Rear view mirror

On Apr 25, 3:13*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Yeah, but I don't think a truck mirror on one side of my little scooter
would look right ;-).

* *Then put on both mirrors, so you can balance it. *Of course, a good
set of mirrors might be worth more than the scooter.

Don't forget horns to match.

Michael A. Terrell April 26th 09 12:01 AM

Rear view mirror

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote: Then put on both mirrors, so you can balance
it. Of course, a good
set of mirrors might be worth more than the scooter.

But still less than a squeeze bottle of Lok-tite?

I didn't know they made reflective Loctite.