DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/276548-ot-have-you-noticed-msm-attacking-craigs-list.html)

[email protected] April 23rd 09 05:08 PM

OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Eregon[_4_] April 23rd 09 06:52 PM

OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Bob La Londe April 23rd 09 07:12 PM

OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

"Eregon" wrote in message
" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

This is kinda like the post office wanting to tax e-mail.

[email protected] April 23rd 09 07:47 PM

OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=craigslist+killer&l=1

Eregon[_4_] April 23rd 09 09:40 PM

OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

"Bob La Londe" wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

"Eregon" wrote in message
" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

This is kinda like the post office wanting to tax e-mail.

Who do you think was behind the move (a few years ago) to do exactly that?

Besides which, most of the USPS money comes from bulk mailers (advertisers,
billing, etc.) but they continue to raise postage rates for private
citizens who supply only a tiny fraction of their business.

BTW, there's another postal rate hike coming May 1, 2009.

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Bob Engelhardt April 23rd 09 09:49 PM

wrote:
I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

I wouldn't say whether that's the papers' motivation, but it does seem
that CL is really hurting them. Personal example: I used to advertise
in the local paper when I had an apartment for rent. The last time I
did that it was $50 for a 4 line ad, per week. The Boston Globe rate
was even higher. Now I use CL.

Not a newspaper, but there was a local stuff-for-sale weekly (The Want
Advertiser) that charged 10% of the sale price. It was big - maybe 100
pages, 8 x 10. They have just gone out of business, after 45 years (at
least).

Bob

Tim[_20_] April 23rd 09 09:56 PM

OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Eregon" wrote in message
" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

This is kinda like the post office wanting to tax e-mail.

I'd be delighted to pay 1 or 2 cents each for email, if the spammers did
too.

Wes[_2_] April 23rd 09 11:36 PM

" wrote:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

I haven't heard that. Ebay owns a piece and they are a bit left politically.

Wes
--
In her book "Atlas Shrugged", first published in 1957, Ayn Rand warned us about the society we find
ourselves in. We were warned.

Leo Lichtman[_2_] April 23rd 09 11:55 PM

OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

"Eregon" wrote: Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising
revenue - NOT
their circulation.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but their advertising rates are based on their circulation.

Eregon[_4_] April 24th 09 05:02 AM

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

"Eregon" wrote: Newspapers and magazines live or die by their
advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but their advertising rates are based on their circulation.

But when the advertisers quit advertising...

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Too_Many_Tools April 24th 09 06:10 PM

OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

On Apr 23, 12:52*pm, Eregon wrote:
" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising *revenue - NOT
their circulation.

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Correct...just as radio and television survive on advertisements.

If you want something for free or almost so, someone else has to
subsidize it.

Entertainment, music, news, information....it all costs money.

TMT

Tim[_20_] April 24th 09 07:17 PM

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

Correct...just as radio and television survive on advertisements.

If you want something for free or almost so, someone else has to
subsidize it.

Entertainment, music, news, information....it all costs money.

Perhaps, but just a tiny fraction of what we are expected to pay for it.

Too_Many_Tools April 24th 09 09:04 PM

On Apr 24, 1:17*pm, "Tim" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

Correct...just as radio and television survive on advertisements.

If you want something for free or almost so, someone else has to
subsidize it.

Entertainment, music, news, information....it all costs money.

Perhaps, but just a tiny fraction of what we are expected to pay for it.

Tim, I think you have a good point on this.

These industries are very lucrative.

A trimming of the dead wood doesn't hurt and competition improves the
product.

TMT

RB[_2_] April 24th 09 09:31 PM

OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

Eregon wrote:
" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

But their ad pricing is tied to their circulation numbers.

Maxwell Lol April 25th 09 04:05 PM

" writes:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers make a lot of money with classified ads.

Wes[_2_] April 25th 09 06:35 PM

Maxwell Lol wrote:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers make a lot of money with classified ads.

Well they did, I think that is rapidly becoming a *former* profit center.

Too_Many_Tools April 25th 09 08:03 PM

On Apr 25, 12:35*pm, Wes wrote:
Maxwell Lol wrote:
I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers make a lot of money with classified ads.

Well they did, I think that is rapidly becoming a *former* profit center.

Correct.

And that is the big problem for the newspaper industry.

If they don't figure out a different business model, they are dead.

TMT