Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BACKHOE

Anyone know ANYTHING about aN Ih-3400 and a Case 480b?

I am buying.

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "justme"
wrote:

Anyone know ANYTHING about aN Ih-3400 and a Case 480b?

I am buying.

Thanks

j/b

look here, in the appropriate forums.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/boards.cgi

Mine is a Ford, so I don't know anything specific about those - but the
folks there will (and the search function will bring up whatever people
ask about those ones.) I know a lot more about buying an old hoe now
than I did then, though. ;-(

Look for leaks. Put grease in all the fittings - if you can't, they have
been severely neglected for a long time. That can destroy bushings, and
even the holes bushings are supposed to be pressed into. If you can,
look at what comes out and judge the neglect level. Check all the
dipsticks and level holes - you want to both check the level, and look
for odd colors (such as the brown of water mixed in oil) and burnt
smells in the fluids.

Check for sag - pick up the hoe and park it in several positions, then
take your hands off the controls - does it stay put, or does it droop
under gravity, indicating a leak (which can be an internal cylinder leak
rather than an oil on the ground leak.) Same on the bucket.

Look for cracks. Carefully examine any welds that don't look factory.

Check over the tires and price a new set if they are not in decent shape.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, Lawrence. Will take your suggetions.

j/b

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article , "justme"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote in
:

Check for sag - pick up the hoe and park it in several positions, then
take your hands off the controls - does it stay put, or does it droop
under gravity, indicating a leak (which can be an internal cylinder leak
rather than an oil on the ground leak.) Same on the bucket.

In addition, park it sideways on a slight slop and swing the hoe to a 45°
angle. Remove hands...does it drift downhill? (Check both sides, most have
independent cylinders in a push/pull or just a pull arraingement.)

Turn the front bucket mouth down, put it on the ground and raise the front
of the hoe off the ground. Does it stay?. When digging, tires should not be
on the ground.

Do the jacks leak down?

Check the hoses for abraison and cracking of the jackets....having a bath
in 180° oil is not a fun experience.....

The Case 480B is a good hoe, it's slow, but has a powerful hoe, IIRC there
was no turbo on the B. I think it was the C model when they added the
turbo. Older Ford hoes were really fast, but not as powerful. I've ran both
commercially in another life. No experience on the newer Ford "True" hoes,
but I've not heard any complaints about them either.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

CHILD'S BACKHOE J T Woodworking 0 November 12th 07 10:47 AM
BACKHOE J T Woodworking 0 February 21st 06 09:03 AM
BACKHOE J T Woodworking 0 February 26th 05 08:29 AM
Backhoe/Minidigger which is best Robin Soper UK diy 2 March 16th 04 10:06 PM
Found a BackHoe RogerN Metalworking 10 March 3rd 04 01:54 PM