Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinding a slot

I bought a vertical slotter a while back. The sliding head is REALLY
worn. Grinding the two sides and bottom should be a piece of cake on
my surface grinder.

On each side is a slot about 1/4" wide by 3/8" deep. One edge of each
slot needs to be ground true. How should this be done?

My surface grinder takes 3" diameter stones. If there is such a thing
as a side grinding stone, the cost is likely out of this world. I'm
tempted to true up this slot on my mill with a slotting cutter.

other suggestions?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 29, 9:02*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I bought a vertical slotter a while back. The sliding head is REALLY
worn. Grinding the two sides and bottom should be a piece of cake on
my surface grinder.

On each side *is a slot about 1/4" wide by 3/8" deep. One edge of each
slot needs to be ground true. How should this be done?

My surface grinder takes 3" diameter stones. If there is such a thing
as a side grinding stone, the cost is likely out of this world. I'm
tempted to true up this slot on my mill with a slotting cutter.

other suggestions?

Karl

Can you strap a toolpost or even a die grinder under the head of the
surface grinder? The spindle doesn't have to be level as long as you
diamond-dress the stone.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

My surface grinder takes 3" diameter stones. If there is such a thing
as a side grinding stone, the cost is likely out of this world. I'm
tempted to true up this slot on my mill with a slotting cutter.

3" diameter?

Is this the typical bridgeport slotting head?

After you grind or mill the surfaces, can you make a gib to deal with clearance?

Anyone have a breakdown of what one of these things look like?

I keep wanting one. This sounds like a learnable moment if someone is teaching.

Wes
--
In her book "Atlas Shrugged", first published in 1957, Ayn Rand warned us about the society we find
ourselves in. We were warned.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My surface grinder takes 3" diameter stones. If there is such a thing
as a side grinding stone, the cost is likely out of this world. I'm
tempted to true up this slot on my mill with a slotting cutter.

3" diameter?

I.D. of wheel

Is this the typical bridgeport slotting head?

No its a Rhodes. Here's one like mine except i have the vertical attachment
http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/c...noperation.flv

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's a pic of the ram. It shows the slot I need to grind true
http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/T...sramalibre.jpg