DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anyone doing any actual metalwork? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/274302-anyone-doing-any-actual-metalwork.html)

Bill Noble[_2_] March 27th 09 06:36 AM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

"Don Young" wrote in message
webinternetservicesprovideinc...

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"
I''m still searching all over for some way to make the 4 ft long curl
on the end of some .040 stainless to form a hood hinge for my 36
cadillac - it puzzles me to no end that this thing could be made in
1936 and no one I've contacted has a clue how to make it today - looks
like either a roll mill or hammer mill job to me - no this is not a
hinge with a pin, it is a typical interlocking spiral car hood hinge.

any clues?

Cad Coupe? Boss of mine in high school had one of the 2 1936 Cad
coupes in the SF Bay area.

it's a series 6019 (look on www.wbnoble.com, click on hobbies, then
cars) - some day I'll finish it. It is the smallest of the V-8s of that
year, 4 doors, dual side mounts, should be nice if I ever get it
finished.

by the way, I"ve posted images and a diagram of the part I need to the
drop box using the file name "36-cad-hinge-*" they should show up "real
soon now"

here's the links to the images in the dropbox

The file 36-cad-hinge-3.JPG has been added to the Drop Box as
"36-cad-hinge-3.JPG".
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/36-cad-hinge-3.JPG
The file 36-cad-hinge-drawing.jpg has been added to the Drop Box as
"36-cad-hinge-drawing.jpg".
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ge-drawing.jpg
The file 36-cad-hinge-1.jpg has been added to the Drop Box as
"36-cad-hinge-1.jpg".
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/36-cad-hinge-1.jpg
The file 36-cad-hinge-2.jpg has been DEFERRED for manual handling as
"36-cad-hinge-2.jpg-1".
It was deferred because: because it is too small (min size = 5000)
The file 36-cad-hinge.txt has been added to the Drop Box as
"36-cad-hinge.txt".
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/36-cad-hinge.txt

It looks to me like you may need an inside pattern and figure out how to
roll the strip around it. I have seen that type of hinge but never thought
about how it was made. Wonder if it could be drawn thru a suitably shaped
tapered die, with maybe some preliminary forming? Seems like a good repro
part to sell if you can figure it out reasonably.

Don Young

Believe me, I've tried talking to shops, I contacted Roper Whitney, I
contacted some sheet metal shops that said they "made anything" - so far no
luck - drawing through dies is one way, some kind of press brake to start
it, and then a shape hammered onto the end to continue the roll might work,
a roll mill might work

Someone must know how to make these - this is ridiculous - even Pexto didn't
have much to say that was helpful

Terry Coombs March 27th 09 12:55 PM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

Wes wrote:
Gerald Miller wrote:

When I worked on Senior Son's '68 Firebird 6, I used a flat plate
with three holes to match the Puller bolt pattern with a chain
drilled opening for the retainer bolt. The end of the plate rested
against the frame. this was the only way I could see to hold the
crank from turning other than dropping the pan or using rope in a
cylinder.

You take a plug out, insert a bunch of nylon rope into the cylinder
and then torque away. Make sure to leave the tail of rope out. :)

Wes

Better be sure it's on the compression stroke too , or you're likely to
bend a valve or three .
--
Snag
every answer

SteveB[_10_] March 27th 09 01:04 PM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

"Todd Rich" wrote

I've been making these:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u.../shop/dam3.png

What are those?

Believe it or not, seam-rippers. As in sewing implements. Made out of
pattern welded (damascus) steel. I made the damascus as well grinding it
to shape when done.

Used this hammer that I built to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkUFgoU_LO0

Thanks. They look like gutting knives. Wasn't sure.

Steve

Wes[_2_] March 27th 09 08:21 PM

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Better be sure it's on the compression stroke too , or you're likely to
bend a valve or three .

Absolutely, I thought I sent a followup post when I realized I left the detail out. Thanks
for the fix up!

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Gunner Asch[_4_] March 28th 09 07:15 PM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 05:27:11 -0400, Wes wrote:

"SteveB" wrote:

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Aligned a turret, replaced bearings in an abrasive saw, built a steel cabinet to fit test
masters, put a remote handle and trigger on a roofing stapler, ...

I still have snow on the ground.

Wes

Had a 3 artery replumbing job in late January, 6 days later was
crawling on machines fixing controls. Worked on and off while
recovering, then had a stroke 15 days ago. Was in the hospital for 6
days, then came out and made 5 service calls on machinery.

Im working on parting down 20 odd computers today, clearing the top of
the welding table. Ill be going through about 10 boxes of used
computer equipment over the weekend, then either storing or giving the
unwanted stuff away.

Nothing much scheduled for this coming week, so will likely be moving
some machinery around in preperation for setting up my diAcro metal
bender, which I machined new bending flanges, from 1"-6", over the
past few months.

Then Ill be doing some gunsmithing. Building a new scope mount for a
1911 clone.

Just taking things easy as I heal up. The body is healing..the brain
is fine..the brain/mouth interface needs some work.

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*

Gunner Asch[_4_] March 28th 09 07:18 PM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:20:23 -0500, Terry
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:52:20 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

Hi Steve, I bit the bullet and bought a cheap stick/TIG welder/plasma
cutter and am learning to weld. Well...that may be an exaggeration.
I'm learning to make very bad seams, that's what I'm doing.

Also bought nomex coveralls to wear while welding. Only partly for
fire safety. When I bought a VW bus many years ago, my friend Jeff
gave me a pair of coveralls and insisted that I wear them while
working on the bus. It seems that a pair of dirty coveralls
intimidates the vehicle into thinking that a proper mechanic is
working on it. I'm using the same kind of logic to improve the welds.

It's not working...

Best -- Terry

Chuckle....

What part are you having problems with, tig welding?

Im sure we can help somewhere.....

Stupendous Man March 28th 09 07:32 PM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

Im working on parting down 20 odd computers today, clearing the top of
the welding table. Ill be going through about 10 boxes of used
computer equipment over the weekend, then either storing or giving the
unwanted stuff away.

keep busy. The fans are useful for stuff like drying paint and coatings,
they are brushless and make no sparks. Also useful for directing cutting oil
smoke away from you or sucking it into a piece of dryer outlet tubing to
pump it outside.
Magnets are fun and usefull as well,
http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm

Hard drive disks are cool, but don't have many uses and won't weld. I
drilled a few and hanged with fishing line as wind chimes, the baby loved
one as a mobile over the crib. Might make good .22 targets
--
Stupendous Man,

Geoffm[_3_] March 29th 09 02:29 AM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:33:23 -0500, "Don Young"
wrote:

"RoyJ" wrote in message
om...
I'm not doing metalwork because I can't figure out how to lay out the
!!@@##@!@! sheet metal pattern. Trying to do a double offset (both
directions) in an 8"x12" duct. But once I get the pattern, the
metalworking should be interesting: It requires a Pittsburgh lock on a
compound curve.

SteveB wrote:
I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings,
and getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't
hear the jaybirds.

Steve

I have not tried it with curves but I have made straight line transitions by
cutting cardboard patterns for each side and cutting the metal oversize for
laps. I bend the laps and screw or rivet together. If your patterns get cut
undersize you can just tape another piece on where needed until you get it
all how you want it. You can also make each pattern in more than one piece
and tape together. I first did that to make a pattern for cutting flooring
to go in a small bathroom.

I know there are more elegant methods.

Don Young

What about Sheet Lightning
http://www.revcad.com/ or
http://www.download3000.com/download_31997.html

This looks usefull to
http://www.filesland.com/download/square-to-round.html

Wes[_2_] March 29th 09 03:22 AM

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Uncle, that fine looking man in most of my web page pictures, is in the hospital for
multiple blood clots in his lungs. Took me by suprize. Just Thursday he was out working
up a load for a friends trapdoor in .50/70. He is a bit irritated, the docs will not let
him out and about but maybe if he would just lay down when he is sick for a while he would
have better luck.

Uncle made the reloading dies for the gun on his 187x lathe.

Wes

http://wess.freeshell.org
http://www.garage-machinist.com/

cavelamb March 29th 09 05:24 AM

Stupendous Man wrote:
Im working on parting down 20 odd computers today, clearing the top of
the welding table. Ill be going through about 10 boxes of used
computer equipment over the weekend, then either storing or giving the
unwanted stuff away.

keep busy. The fans are useful for stuff like drying paint and coatings,
they are brushless and make no sparks. Also useful for directing cutting
oil smoke away from you or sucking it into a piece of dryer outlet
tubing to pump it outside.
Magnets are fun and usefull as well,
http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm

Hard drive disks are cool, but don't have many uses and won't weld. I
drilled a few and hanged with fishing line as wind chimes, the baby
loved one as a mobile over the crib. Might make good .22 targets

The 14 inch platters make killer frisbees!

Doug T March 29th 09 03:12 PM

Don Young wrote:
"Bill Noble" wrote in message
"
I''m still searching all over for some way to make the 4 ft long curl
on the end of some .040 stainless to form a hood hinge for my 36
cadillac - it puzzles me to no end that this thing could be made in
1936 and no one I've contacted has a clue how to make it today - looks
like either a roll mill or hammer mill job to me - no this is not a
hinge with a pin, it is a typical interlocking spiral car hood hinge.

any clues?

It looks to me like you may need an inside pattern and figure out how to
roll the strip around it. I have seen that type of hinge but never thought
about how it was made. Wonder if it could be drawn thru a suitably shaped
tapered die, with maybe some preliminary forming? Seems like a good repro
part to sell if you can figure it out reasonably.

Don Young

I could see rolling it out like you would make a seamed tubing, cheap to
do but building the rolling mill would cost a bit. But what's a half
million dollars to make a ten million feet of hinge?
Still a few rollers from cheap brake line tubing benders or cut your
own. Mounted to a pair of angle irons. Clamp the angle irons in a vise
with the appropriate spacer and shove / pull your material thru the
rollers to curl the edges up a little. Put a smaller spacer in the vise
clamp it all up an make another pass. Repeat till you've got the curl
you need. Might need a guide at the start to keep the material centered
between the rollers. If you don't get my idea but think it is worth
pursuing e-mail me and I'll do up a drawing.

Doug T

Todd Rich March 29th 09 10:09 PM

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:35:43 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich
wrote:

(snip)
I've been making these:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u.../shop/dam3.png

OOOOO....NICE!!!

Gunner

Thanks! I just got 3 more done today. Still tweaking the process. I got
a nasty cut on my thumb about 2 weeks ago when I wasn't paying attention
when grinding. So I've been using leather gloves, but my hands cramp up
after a while using them. So I'm thinking about thinner gloves, or just
making sure I'm really alert and not rushed when working on the belt
grinder. (6 more just need grinding and etching)

Terry[_2_] March 30th 09 02:31 AM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

wrote:

Also bought nomex coveralls to wear while welding. Only partly for
fire safety. When I bought a VW bus many years ago, my friend Jeff
gave me a pair of coveralls and insisted that I wear them while
working on the bus. It seems that a pair of dirty coveralls
intimidates the vehicle into thinking that a proper mechanic is
working on it. I'm using the same kind of logic to improve the welds.

It's not working...

Best -- Terry

Chuckle....

What part are you having problems with, tig welding?

Im sure we can help somewhere.....

Gunner

Hi Gunner, I haven't tried TIG yet. Just bought the argon tank
Friday. I want to get somewhat experienced with stick welding first.
I've been working on a small I-beam, just making puddles with 6011 and
7014 (I think; I'd have to go out in the workshop to confirm the
numbers).

Anyway, with 1/8" 7014 the rod kept freezing to the steel. The 1/16"
6011 worked *much* better but it's funny; the arc seems to go out then
come back on its own, on cycles of about a second or so.

This is the first welding I've ever done. It's a Ramsond combination
machine, inverter-type, supposedly goes up to 200 amps. Just playing
around for now.

Best -- Terry

Bill Noble[_2_] March 30th 09 06:38 AM

"Doug T" wrote in message
Don Young wrote:
"Bill Noble" wrote in message
"
[...]

good idea, I've thought about buying a Pexto unit and making rollers - I
don't think rollers on angle iron will work - .040 stainless is pretty
stiff - I'll try and remember to take my drawing to Westec next week and see
if someone there has an idea -

This particular shape was very common in cars of the mid 30s, but
disappeared entierly by the post WWII era when the idea of hinging the hood
at the windshield came into fashion. The only car Iknow of that doesn't
open the hood in one gigantic piece that was built after WWII is my Morgan
+4 - it still opens "old style" -- I actually don't remmeber how the center
hinge works on the Morgan -

Winston March 30th 09 04:54 PM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

Winston wrote:
SteveB wrote:

(...)

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you
can't hear the jaybirds.

I accomplished the first two 'honeydos' using the hydraulic cart.
Pulled an overgrown plant out by it's roots and popped a vestigal
fence post out of the ground. The cart makes it *so* much easier.
It was kind of weird to see that fence post raise up 'by itself'
with no effort on my part.
The machining, welding and grinding were worth it.

Here is more info about that:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart2.jpg

--Winston
--

Don't *faff*, dear.

Larry Jaques March 31st 09 04:01 AM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:54:37 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Winston wrote:
SteveB wrote:

(...)

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you
can't hear the jaybirds.

I accomplished the first two 'honeydos' using the hydraulic cart.
Pulled an overgrown plant out by it's roots and popped a vestigal
fence post out of the ground. The cart makes it *so* much easier.
It was kind of weird to see that fence post raise up 'by itself'
with no effort on my part.
The machining, welding and grinding were worth it.

Here is more info about that:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart2.jpg

That's quite the handy gadget, Winnie. Congrats.

--
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in
nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding

Winston March 31st 09 05:13 AM

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:54:37 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Winston wrote:
SteveB wrote:

(...)

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you
can't hear the jaybirds.
I accomplished the first two 'honeydos' using the hydraulic cart.
Pulled an overgrown plant out by it's roots and popped a vestigal
fence post out of the ground. The cart makes it *so* much easier.
It was kind of weird to see that fence post raise up 'by itself'
with no effort on my part.
The machining, welding and grinding were worth it.

Here is more info about that:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart2.jpg

That's quite the handy gadget, Winnie. Congrats.

Thanks, Larry.

--

Don't *faff*, dear.

[email protected] March 31st 09 02:01 PM

Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:13:39 -0700, Winston
wrote:
The machining, welding and grinding were worth it.
Here is more info about that:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart1.jpg

Very neat.

I have the identical hoist and have made it into a rear mounted
crane on my tractor, mainly used for lifting limestone blocks.

Alan

Winston March 31st 09 09:40 PM

wrote:
The machining, welding and grinding were worth it.
Here is more info about that:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Fencecart1.jpg

Very neat.

Thanks!

I have the identical hoist and have made it into a rear mounted
crane on my tractor, mainly used for lifting limestone blocks.

You've discovered that near maximum extension, the base of the
bottle jack will wedge against the hoist column for about
half of the possible angles of axial rotation WRT the hoist arm.
Arrgh! :)

The example jack at the local HF store had 'sprung' with the ram
at an angle to the body of the jack because some bozo had
apparently kept pumping after the jack had trapped itself that way.

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.