Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making a Huge Tap

Making of a Big Tap at Widell

http://www.widell.com/bigtap01.html

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
Making of a Big Tap at Widell

http://www.widell.com/bigtap01.html

nice!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:46:15 -0400, Wild_Bill wrote:

Making of a Big Tap at Widell

http://www.widell.com/bigtap01.html

Now I want to see what it taps.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote:
Tim, when I posted this link before, in 2002, there was some speculation
that a tap this size could be used to make large valves such as those used
in oil fields.

I wonder what kinda price that thing goes for; I'm gonna WAG and say five
grand.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-17, Wild_Bill wrote:
Making of a Big Tap at Widell

http://www.widell.com/bigtap01.html

Nice pictures. Interestingly, their grinder was imported by Shars,
which we just discussed here.

http://www.widell.com/bigtap22.html

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Tim, when I posted this link before, in 2002, there was some speculation
that a tap this size could be used to make large valves such as those used
in oil fields.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

That seems right Bill, on one of the photos "copes vulcan valve" can be seen
etched into the tap.

http://www.copesvulcan.com/products/valves.asp

I'll stick with small hand taps thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-17, Wild_Bill wrote:
Tim, when I posted this link before, in 2002, there was some speculation
that a tap this size could be used to make large valves such as those used
in oil fields.

I notice that everyone who is shown working on it where you can
tell seems to be old enough for gray hair.

I wonder whether there are younger people working there, or
whether the entire skill of the company is in old farts like most of us?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-17, Wild_Bill wrote:
Tim, when I posted this link before, in 2002, there was some
speculation that a tap this size could be used to make large valves
such as those used in oil fields.

I notice that everyone who is shown working on it where you can
tell seems to be old enough for gray hair.

I wonder whether there are younger people working there, or
whether the entire skill of the company is in old farts like most of us?

Enjoy,
DoN.

The young guys were the only ones who could run a digital camera.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-17, Wild_Bill wrote:
Making of a Big Tap at Widell

http://www.widell.com/bigtap01.html

Nice pictures. Interestingly, their grinder was imported by Shars,
which we just discussed here.

also interesting - I always figured you would first turn threads, then cut
flutes, then harden, but clearly that is not the way it's done - cut flutes
and heat treat, then cut threads

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-17, Wild_Bill wrote:
Making of a Big Tap at Widell

http://www.widell.com/bigtap01.html

Nice pictures. Interestingly, their grinder was imported by Shars,
which we just discussed here.

also interesting - I always figured you would first turn threads, then cut
flutes, then harden, but clearly that is not the way it's done - cut flutes
and heat treat, then cut threads

Somewhat unrelated, but my guess is that it is for a pipe inside a
pipe type of situation, maybe a huge heat exchanger.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-17, Wild_Bill wrote:
Making of a Big Tap at Widell

http://www.widell.com/bigtap01.html

Nice pictures. Interestingly, their grinder was imported by Shars,
which we just discussed here.

also interesting - I always figured you would first turn threads, then
cut
flutes, then harden, but clearly that is not the way it's done - cut
flutes
and heat treat, then cut threads

Somewhat unrelated, but my guess is that it is for a pipe inside a
pipe type of situation, maybe a huge heat exchanger.

--

well, if "I" had to guess, I'd say it is used on a christmas tree
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree_(oil_well)) but I'm not an