Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flanged sleeve arbors for vibrating Ryobi 8" grinder

I finally got around to making two sets of flanged half-sleeves that fit
nose-to-nose, two to a grinding wheel with the wheel between. This
pretty much tamed the vibration. What remains appears to be due to
slight warpage of the wheels themselves. I'll dress them true when I
have time to drag the grinder outside (so the resulting cloud of grit
doesn't coat everything in my shop).

I have taken photos and on Monday (9 Mar 09) submitted the resulting
three files to the Dropbox. Nothing has turned up yet. Nor do I see
anything after 2 Mar 09, so I assume that the Moderator is busy.

The files will be:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Grindstone_Mounting_Hardware.txt

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Grindstone_Mounting_Hardware_1.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Grindstone_Mounting_Hardware_2.jpg

While taking the photos, I found that using a textured background helped
the autofocus camera a lot. Cameras are not really designed to focus on
shiney metal, and can become confused. With my camera, an Olympus
eVolt, it is also essential to use Macro mode (the symbol on the camera
is a stylized flower).

What also helped a lot was to use a slave flash to fill the room with
light, triggered by the pipsqueak flash on the camera. The slave flash
is pointed away from the camera at the wall and ceiling to the left of
the objects in the photos.

I used an old studio flash (from my photo hobby days) turned down to
minimum power, but edison-base AC slave flashes are cheap and common.
One just screws them into a ordinary lamp, and fires away.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/1...lave_Flashes.h
tml.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
While taking the photos, ...

What also helped a lot was to use a slave flash to fill the room with
light, ...

Doesn't this screw up the exposure? I thought that the camera
determined the exposure before setting off the flash. In the case of a
slave flash, it wouldn't know about the slave ahead of time. Or does it
react in real time during the exposure?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Joe,

I can't see them even listed, let alone viewable.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:25:35 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:

Hey Joe,

I can't see them even listed, let alone viewable.

Yes. The Moderator hasn't approved them yet. I don't know what's wrong
with bare-ass aluminum.

I'm going to be away next week, so I wanted to publish the details.

Joe Gwinn

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
While taking the photos, ...

What also helped a lot was to use a slave flash to fill the room with
light, ...

Doesn't this screw up the exposure?

It will, if the slave is too powerful. The picture is washed out, or
completely white.

I thought that the camera
determined the exposure before setting off the flash. In the case of a
slave flash, it wouldn't know about the slave ahead of time.

Correct.

Or does it
react in real time during the exposure?

It does, but only to a degree. And the slave usually fires after the
camera flash is done.

The trick is to use a small slave flash, one that fills the room but
doesn't wash the picture out. A little experimentation suffices to find
the correct balance.

The alternative, which I've also done, is to put the digital camera in
manual mode, and use the histogram function of the camera to decide when
the correct exposure has been achieved. The advantage of a big flash is
that one can set the camera for a large f/ and deep depth of focus. But
it's all a bit fiddly.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:

Hey Joe,

I can't see them even listed, let alone viewable.

The URLs below now work.