Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another bottlejack/hydraulics Q

Proctologically Violated©® writes:

Given a standard manually operated bottle jack/cylinder, is it
straighforward to add air power, or a hydraulic pump?

Given that you can get a set of them already fitted for an external
hydraulic supply from HF for about $100, why bother?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Proctologically Violated©® writes:

Given a standard manually operated bottle jack/cylinder, is it
straighforward to add air power, or a hydraulic pump?

Given that you can get a set of them already fitted for an external
hydraulic supply from HF for about $100, why bother?

I put a 12 ton air/hydraulic on my arbor press last year. Its awesome, but
I need to remove the little holder clip so that it can not be locked in the
continuous position. Oops.

$79.95 from HF if I recall. My little portable compressor runs it just
fine. I also pop it out of the press and use it sometimes when I need more
than one jack on the floor. For heavier stuff like the front end of a truck
it seems to struggle a little, and I know that is nowhere near the 12 ton
claimed capacity. Front end of one of my 3/4 ton pickups is a lot lighter
than that. I have actually considered picking up a couple more of these
jacks or similar just to have them for stuff like this though. Its handy to
just hit the air instead of trying to find an angle to work the handle on my
floor jack. I've also considered an air operated floor jack.

Anyway, they are pretty affordable. If you spent the time working on
something instead you could easily spend that earned money on an air
operated hydraulic jack and have money left over. IMO.

Hydraulics repair kross35 Home Repair 0 December 4th 08 01:27 AM
hydraulics; leaking? Bernard Arnest Metalworking 2 April 2nd 08 12:16 PM
Hydraulics experts? Gary Cavie UK diy 5 February 2nd 06 10:43 PM
hydraulics ilpavox Metalworking 8 November 5th 05 07:33 AM
Hydraulics question... [email protected] Metalworking 13 September 29th 05 12:35 PM