Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathes and the US Mint

Proctologically Violated wrote:
Awl --

History Channel, Modern Marvels, "Money".

In use today are 1906 French "reducing lathes", which takes the image for
coins off a 1-2 foot epoxy-resin model, and reduces it to the coin-size die.
Nary a semiconductor/pyooter chip or tube, all electromechanical.

Extraordinary craftsmanship, even artistry. And precision.

Perty neat, inneresting show.

Havnt seen that programme yet here in the UK.
The French reducing engine is called a Janvier.
I could have bought one about the same age from a die maker in
Birmingham UK when he retired.
It was complete with all tooling etc and went to the Birmingham mint
for $12,000.00 some 10yrs ago.
There good for coin die making but mainly produce positives which are
then hardened and pressed into the die material to make the minting
negatives.

However there is another way of producing these negative dies. this
requires a large negative pattern which goes onto a 3d pantograph die
sinking engraving. But all manually guided. These are made by Deckel in
Germany of Taylor Hobdson in the UK.
All the dies I have comissioned were made this way. they enable deep
imaging to be produced which is difficult to do on the French machine.

As its my 40th year as a metal craftsman!!, im comissioning a die of a
winged angel carrying a winged cherub carrying a burning torch.
This comes fron a plaster positive I found at a flea market some 2 yrs ago.
I think its a Wedgwood original and am currently investigating its
classical story. Any ideas?

Exciting times.
Ted Frater
Minter
Dorset UK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:
[...]

Every once in awhile you read a posting that makes it worthwhile to sort
through the chaff of this newsgroup. Interesting stuff! Please post or
www or blog as you progress (with pictures).

-C
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They are called "pantographs" and the standard reduction on the ones I have
used is 64 to 1. A much more common use of these is the paper label business
for making cut out diesb ut there are many other uses as well.
Steve

"C Clark remove nospam" wrote in message
m...