Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Effect of the Great Recession on Chicago metalworking

So, as we all heard, we are in the midst of a historic crisis.
Financing is hard to come by, customers are afraid to order, etc.

I like going to liquidation auctions and rerely miss any auctions
where I could bid online. I do not bid in all of them, but at least I
know about them.

What I do know is that nowadays, there is not more liquidations, as I
would expect, but less. I am completely puzzled by this, but it is
true, the amount of auctions is easily less than it was in the summer,
for example. I have no explanation for this.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:02:20 -0600, Ignoramus27337
wrote:
snip
What I do know is that nowadays, there is not more liquidations, as I
would expect, but less. I am completely puzzled by this, but it is
true, the amount of auctions is easily less than it was in the summer,
for example. I have no explanation for this.

snip
=============

When there a finite number of things to liquidate, there will
come a time when the rate slows down because there is nothing/no
one left to liquidate.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-19, F George McDuffee wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:02:20 -0600, Ignoramus27337
wrote:
snip
What I do know is that nowadays, there is not more liquidations, as I
would expect, but less. I am completely puzzled by this, but it is
true, the amount of auctions is easily less than it was in the summer,
for example. I have no explanation for this.

snip
=============

When there a finite number of things to liquidate, there will
come a time when the rate slows down because there is nothing/no
one left to liquidate.

This is my own explanation, as well, it fits facts in the best way.
The recession pertaining to capital goods that these companies are
making, may have started earlier than the recession for the general
population.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27337 wrote:
So, as we all heard, we are in the midst of a historic crisis.
Financing is hard to come by, customers are afraid to order, etc.

I like going to liquidation auctions and rerely miss any auctions
where I could bid online. I do not bid in all of them, but at least I
know about them.

What I do know is that nowadays, there is not more liquidations, as I
would expect, but less. I am completely puzzled by this, but it is
true, the amount of auctions is easily less than it was in the summer,
for example. I have no explanation for this.

The other possibility is that the economy is recovering. Housing sales
were up in January. Why are you all so pessimistic?

CarlBoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-19, F George McDuffee
wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:02:20 -0600, Ignoramus27337
wrote:
snip
What I do know is that nowadays, there is not more liquidations, as I
would expect, but less. I am completely puzzled by this, but it is
true, the amount of auctions is easily less than it was in the summer,
for example. I have no explanation for this.

snip
=============

When there a finite number of things to liquidate, there will
come a time when the rate slows down because there is nothing/no
one left to liquidate.

This is my own explanation, as well, it fits facts in the best way.
The recession pertaining to capital goods that these companies are
making, may have started earlier than the recession for the general
population.

Not in new machine tool sales, at least. It was surprising how long it held
up, in fact. Here's the data. See the graph roughly in the middle of the
page:

http://www.amtonline.org/document_di...ogyconsumption

There are a lot of machine tools out there to liquidate, if in fact
liquidation is coming.

Manufacturing is 'way off, of course, but aside from the car industry, it
isn't exactly collapsing:

http://www.census.gov/indicator/www/.../pdf/durgd.pdf

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27337 wrote in
:

So, as we all heard, we are in the midst of a historic crisis.
Financing is hard to come by, customers are afraid to order, etc.

I like going to liquidation auctions and rerely miss any auctions
where I could bid online. I do not bid in all of them, but at least I
know about them.

What I do know is that nowadays, there is not more liquidations, as I
would expect, but less. I am completely puzzled by this, but it is
true, the amount of auctions is easily less than it was in the summer,
for example. I have no explanation for this.

Most shops are down but hardly out. We have some in the Chicagoland area
actively buying new machines at the moment. But nothing like last year
which was a record year for most dealers.

Hu-Freidy is having an auction soon. Only because they are farming out
their machining once again. I doubt there would be much of interest to you,
but you never know.

Most shops I deal with are holding their own. Some machine tool dealers are
on the ropes though. You might see some well known names going under soon.

--

Dan

CNC Videos - http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-19, D Murphy wrote:
Ignoramus27337 wrote in
:

[...]

No, I have no interest in those screw machines.

Most shops I deal with are holding their own. Some machine tool dealers are
on the ropes though. You might see some well known names going under soon.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ wrote in news:Crqdne9sBqhdSAHUnZ2dnUVZ_j-
:

All has already happened. The job shops were hard hit by the Chinese
imports, the first whiff of a downturn and they were gone.

That was 2002. People weren't paying attention in the 90's and a lot of
places got their clocks cleaned after 9/11. The places that survived then
will likely survive this recession.

A recession happens when supply out strips demand. That happened a while
ago. Manufacturers were right on top of things this time around. Very few
if any of them got caught with large inventories. Most places are "JIT"
and "Lean" nowadays anyway. So they just scale back. There's not a lot
sitting on the shelves and work in process in minimal. Manufacturers have
cash in reserve, rather than tied up in finished goods and work in
process that nobody wants.

Recovery happens when people regain confidence. The current idiot in the
White House is the type of guy who never sees the upside to anything and
as he continues to prattle on about the worst economy since the Great
Depression (not yet true), he drives the economy further downward. It's
Jimmy Carter Act II. Carter late in his term began to disparage the use
of consumer credit. He made it seem unpatriotic even. Then there was the
famous "Malaise" speech. It resulted in one of the biggest downturns in
GDP ever. Obama acting like the cheerleader of doom is having the same
effect on the economy.

Anyway, manufacturers appear to be ahead of the curve this time.
Employment was cut more than output in the fourth quarter and like I said
previously, inventories are low for a recession by historical standards.
Manufacturing will probably have to ramp up in the fourth quarter when
those inventories deplete toward zero, recovery or not.

Manufacturing is also benefitting from a weak dollar. While exports are
down as the rest of the world is in worse shape than we are, there isn't
much incentive to offshore production either.

--

Dan

CNC Videos - http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 18, 11:48*pm, D Murphy wrote:
RoyJ wrote in news:Crqdne9sBqhdSAHUnZ2dnUVZ_j-
:

snip

Recovery happens when people regain confidence. The current idiot in the
White House is the type of guy who never sees the upside to anything and
as he continues to prattle on about the worst economy since the Great
Depression (not yet true), he drives the economy further downward.

snip
--

Dan

CNC Videos - http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

Assuming he's doing it because he is uninformed of the impact is the
*good* scenario.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CarlBoyd wrote:
Ignoramus27337 wrote:
So, as we all heard, we are in the midst of a historic crisis.
Financing is hard to come by, customers are afraid to order, etc.

I like going to liquidation auctions and rerely miss any auctions
where I could bid online. I do not bid in all of them, but at least I
know about them.
What I do know is that nowadays, there is not more liquidations, as I
would expect, but less. I am completely puzzled by this, but it is
true, the amount of auctions is easily less than it was in the summer,
for example. I have no explanation for this.

The other possibility is that the economy is recovering. Housing sales
were up in January. Why are you all so pessimistic?

CarlBoyd

I do know that we are having a good month. We are an auto parts
distributor serving about 200 stores in Texas and Oklahoma.
And several of our customers have reported that business is booming.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27337 writes:

What I do know is that nowadays, there is not more liquidations, as I
would expect, but less. I am completely puzzled by this, but it is
true, the amount of auctions is easily less than it was in the summer,
for example. I have no explanation for this.

Everything has been made in China for a while now. There is nothing left
here to liquidate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:

I do know that we are having a good month. We are an auto parts
distributor serving about 200 stores in Texas and Oklahoma.
And several of our customers have reported that business is booming.

That is because buying a 16 - 45,000 dollar vehicle in this economy is a deferrable
purchase in most cases. So repairs are being made to delay buying new cars or newer used
cars.

If I was laid off and my engine blew, I'd rebuild it. Normally, the need to get to work
each day would have me buying a new or newer used ride and I'd junk the old one.

I wonder how mechanics hand tools are doing?

I have a feeling while OEM sales of my employers product is declining, after market sales
of the same product will tend to increase as fleet owners run their heavy trucks more
miles than in the past. I'll have to ask if aftermarket (repair) is trending up. May
take a few more months to know that it is a trend.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 21:58:22 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Ignoramus27337 writes:

What I do know is that nowadays, there is not more liquidations, as I
would expect, but less. I am completely puzzled by this, but it is
true, the amount of auctions is easily less than it was in the summer,
for example. I have no explanation for this.

Everything has been made in China for a while now. There is nothing left
here to liquidate.

Hardly. We are still the worlds largest manufacturer.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""