Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures of the 59 year old Quincy compressor

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quincy-340-Compressor/

The "00-Reassembly" subdirectory shows pictures of this compressor
being reassembled, with new motor installed. I bought this compressor
without the motor, although the old motor was fine. (outcome of
negotiations and part of why I paid only $200 for this one).

This is a pressure lubricated pump and that is why this compressor is
still around.

I had a 10 HP Reliance motor that I installed (it was new in box). The
old pulley had a 1.25" bore in the bushing, the Reliance has a 1 3/8"
shaft, so I had to bore the pulley bushing.

At the moment, it seems to run and pump air. It is also rather
quiet. Presently, I am reusing the pulley off the 7.5 HP motor, and
installed a new regulator from 120-145 PSI, so I am not using the full
power of it.

I also have a couple of minor problems that I want to look at more
closely.

One is that the motor vibrates a lot. I am not yet sure why. One
possibility is that I did not bore the bushing properly on-center (did
this on a lathe, though), and another is that the belts are old and
lost some flexibility. Visually, one belt out of three (the middle
one) seems to be "flying up and down" as it rotates, I would expect it
to be steadier.

The good test from it would be to disconnect belts, and run the motor
with pulley but without belts, and see if vibration continues. If it
does, I will know that I did a bad boring job, and will simply buy a
new two piece pulley from McMaster.

Another problem is that there is some air leak somewhere in the area
where the pressurized air leaves the pump and enters the aftercooler.
I am not yet sure where it is. It is minor, but I should have none.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24731 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quincy-340-Compressor/

Nice looking machine. Looks very solid. Is it replacing your vertical
compressor?

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-09, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ignoramus24731 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quincy-340-Compressor/

Nice looking machine. Looks very solid. Is it replacing your vertical
compressor?

The vertical compressor is already gone.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Back in the 1960's, I had a compressor and tank that made the Quincy look
brand new. Mine had a 1/2" steel riveted tank. Looked like the Nautilus
from 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-09, Calif Bill wrote:

Back in the 1960's, I had a compressor and tank that made the Quincy look
brand new. Mine had a 1/2" steel riveted tank. Looked like the Nautilus
from 20,000 leagues under the sea.

You'd probably wish you saved some photos of it... I would love to
look...

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 8, 11:08*am, Ignoramus24731 ignoramus24...@NOSPAM.
24731.invalid wrote:
[...]

* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
* * * *from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
* * * * *more readers you will need to find a different means of
* * * * * * * * * * * *posting on Usenet.
* * * * * * * * * *http://improve-usenet.org/

Sounds like the belts are not all the same length. Disconnect the pump
from the tank and put a single belt on the pulleys and see if all the
vibration is gone. A single "V" belt should pull 10 HP. At least it
does on rototillers!

Try each belt individually. You will probably find the floppy one is
not the same number as the other belts. Your compressor should run
forever on two belts. Our 60 gallon 3-phase compressor, two double
cylinders, has run off and on daily for 10 years, now. Has only two
belts and the only maintenance has been an oil change every three
months. No belt adjustments.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

24731.invalid wrote:
[...]

I spoke to our local Quincy dealer rep, whom I have known for a
while. Mike said that possibly this is because the pulleys are not
exactly in the same plane. Upon returning home, I realized that they
are almost 1/2" off plane, but parallel, due me not taking into
account that the two part pulley would "pull in" when tightened.
I would need to move the motor a little bit etc, should take me a
couple of days.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 21:51:29 -0600, Ignoramus17377

On 2009-02-10, wrote:

Try each belt individually. You will probably find the floppy one is
not the same number as the other belts. Your compressor should run
forever on two belts. Our 60 gallon 3-phase compressor, two double
cylinders, has run off and on daily for 10 years, now. Has only two
belts and the only maintenance has been an oil change every three
months. No belt adjustments.

Whenever you change belts on a multi-belt install like that, you
always change them as a set.

(And two should do, but get three anyway - when one lets go, that a
clue to change the others.)

In the old days they used to sell them as factory matched sets, and
charge a premium - so people tried to get by and had problems.

Now you just tell the Warehouse you need matched belts when you
order - they check the codes to make sure that the belts they send you
are from the same day's production run, which should get them very
close to perfectly matched.

I spoke to our local Quincy dealer rep, whom I have known for a
while. Mike said that possibly this is because the pulleys are not
exactly in the same plane. Upon returning home, I realized that they
are almost 1/2" off plane, but parallel, due me not taking into
account that the two part pulley would "pull in" when tightened.
I would need to move the motor a little bit etc, should take me a
couple of days.

That will do it - just be lucky it isn't a Multi-Rib style belt,
especially the steel belted ones used on industrial gear - they just
snap when badly misaligned like that.

Know of an outfit with a fleet of custom built tow tractors that was
snapping the belt daily on the "Guinea pig" unit they modified first,
and they were waiting to do the rest till they figured out why...

Turns out when they went from a 200A to 300A alternator they were
sent the wrong brackets and put the alternator pulley a half inch too
far forward. And when the pulleys aren't that far apart, that's a lot
of misalignment.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-10, wrote:

[...]

I ordered a motor mount for my 215T motor, as the original Quincy
mounts does not fit 215T very well. I should have the mount tomorrow. It
was $32 at McMaster.

I spoke to our local Quincy dealer rep, whom I have known for a
while. Mike said that possibly this is because the pulleys are not
exactly in the same plane. Upon returning home, I realized that they
are almost 1/2" off plane, but parallel, due me not taking into
account that the two part pulley would "pull in" when tightened.
I would need to move the motor a little bit etc, should take me a
couple of days.

That will do it - just be lucky it isn't a Multi-Rib style belt,
especially the steel belted ones used on industrial gear - they just
snap when badly misaligned like that.

I rather like those simple belts.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-09, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Ignoramus24731 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quincy-340-Compressor/

Nice looking machine. Looks very solid. Is it replacing your vertical
compressor?

The vertical compressor is already gone.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Back in the 1960's, I had a compressor and tank that made the Quincy look
brand new. Mine had a 1/2" steel riveted tank. Looked like the Nautilus
from 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Sounds neat. What make was it? I would have liked to have seen it too.

Best wishes,

Chris

Quincy 10 HP compressor and VFD Ignoramus705 Metalworking 18 October 27th 07 02:26 AM
Need Help with Quincy Air Compressor! JB Metalworking 6 April 24th 05 04:49 PM
Quincy Compressor JB Metalworking 4 April 21st 05 12:30 AM
Quincy QT-5 Air Compressor [email protected] Metalworking 5 March 5th 05 06:06 AM