Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gunner's Status

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:31:15 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:04:05 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
For those of you who care one way or another, the reports of my death
are not true, albiet it was a very close thing. Some of you may know
that last Saturday, I suffered a very unexpected heart attack, requiring
emergency triple by-ass, despirt having had a heart exam 2 months ago,
which declared my heart was in good shape.

Having the "widow maker" artery 95% blocked, and 2 more 100%
blocked...kicked my ass and hard.

First welcome back.

Second, whilst you recover from the gaping chest wound, perhaps you should
write a letter to the Doc that declared that your heart was in good shape,
and ask him to explain how you went from good shape to nearly dead in 2
months.

Ayup...but Im going to have a lawyer do all the work for a percentage.
Not only they got it wrong, charged me $10k for 6 hours work, but are
dunning me for the full amount. And damned near killed me. When the
symptoms came on, I treated it like a bronchites attack and didnt bother
calling 9-11. Not a clue that I was having a heart attack. What the
doctor called "on a scale of 1-10..a 5"

Ayup we is gonna have us a talk with the Bakersfield Heart Hospital.....

Gunner

Tawk about a California attitude!

They didn't almost kill you, you almost killed you but they kept you
alive. Now you'd try to sue them because you cluelessly decided not
to call 911?

May you and your lawyer deserve each other.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I went into the BHH 2 months ago,..walked in the door with come chest
discomfort at 8:30am. They plugged me into various machines, took lots
of fluids, x-rays etc etc. I remained wired up until 5m, when they
told me I had chronic broncities, no signs of any trouble with my heart,
gave me a script for amoxycyline and a $10k bill.

Last week Id been having a slight cough all week. Saturday morning, I
woke up with minor chest discomfort, tightness of chest and breath.
So I used my inhalers, and even sucked on the end of the O2 hose from my
welding rig as the symptoms got worst. Broncitis attack?

Had a lady friend take me to the local county hospital where they took
one look, a fast ekg and told me I was having a heart attack.

Im quoted as saying "Heart attack? No, cant be. Other people have heart
attacks. I was told a couple months ago mine is just hunky dory"
In fact..I have the paperwork that says that.

They looked at me like an utter idiot, stuck me with morphine and I dont
remember much after than until waking up on the rotorrouter machine
looking at the blockages in the monitor and the worried looks on the
techs who told me they couldnt handle what was going on, and I needed to
be abulanced to the University cardiac care hospital..stat. The
surgeon went with me in the ambulance and told me to hang in there...I
think there were at least 5 people hovering over me in the meat wagon.
I woke up at some point and they were doing unpleasent things in a very
rapid fashion to my right leg...with "we are losing him" a clear quote.

The BHH and the Loma Linda University hospital are two seperate entities
180 miles apart. One told me I was go to go..the other saved my life.

Perhaps your ICD manufacture told you that yours is good to go, but
didnt think it was necessary to put batteries in it, before you set out
on an trip down the Amazon?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
m...
[...]

A better analogy would be that you took in your Piper Cherokee because
of a slight miss and they didnt bother to tell you that the carbies were
filled with ****, and sure..go ahead and fly cross country over the
Nothern States in mid winter....and charged you the Full AP/AF shop
rates

One doesnt go from "good condition" to 2 of the most important being
100% plugged..and the Most Important being 95% occluded in 2 months.

Gunner

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 03:36:32 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
om...
[...]

True. BTW, have you quit smoking yet? gd&wvvf

--
Even with the best of maps and instruments,
we can never fully chart our journeys.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No kidding. Considering the logic that Gummer deploys here day in and
day out, nobody should be surprised that he hopes for a windfall from
a lifetime of refusing to take responsibility. Regarding that lawsuit,
I got news for him - the normal presumption that a jury will feel
sorry for the poor disabled guy doesn't apply here. A good defense
lawyer will be able to use Gummer's Usenet posts to paint a clear
picture of an irresponsible lifestyle, and a hypocritical attitude
about courts and jury awards. And any lawyer who looks at those posts
and realizes how much work it will be to defend against them, isn't
going to very enthused about taking gummer's weak case on a
contingency basis. Karma can be a bitch.

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One doesnt go from "good condition" to 2 of the most important being
100% plugged..and the Most Important being 95% occluded in 2 months.

Check the sign on the wall; the docs only have a licence to practice.
Not do the real thing.

Glad to see you're still on the right side of the grass.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 03:36:32 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

One doesnt go from "good condition" to 2 of the most important being
100% plugged..and the Most Important being 95% occluded in 2 months.

Gunner

Can't argue with that. They can tell with an echocardiogram if they
do one. EKG doesn't necessarily tell the story. Mine was and still is
perfectly normal. I guess xrays don't necessarily reveal blocked
arteries either. The echo workup does; they can even tell the
ejection fraction of each chamber. But only if they do the scan.
Takes about 45 minutes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:rb27o41sttud9takdtok9d0lvrc1gqinul@4ax. com...
[...]

Ive not had a smoke since 6:30am Saturday of last. Currently I have a
nicotine patch on my back.

The desire for a smoke hasnt left yet, so Im sucking on a straw as I
type. I LIKE smoking, which makes it so much harder to quit..haveing
been a full time smoker since I was about 16...

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Ive not had a smoke since 6:30am Saturday of last. Currently I have a
nicotine patch on my back.

The desire for a smoke hasnt left yet, so Im sucking on a straw as I
type. I LIKE smoking, which makes it so much harder to quit..haveing
been a full time smoker since I was about 16...

Well, you almost quit the easy way, please try the hard way now. It is more your style

Hope you mend fast,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:48:17 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

True. BTW, have you quit smoking yet? gd&wvvf

Ive not had a smoke since 6:30am Saturday of last. Currently I have a
nicotine patch on my back.

The desire for a smoke hasnt left yet, so Im sucking on a straw as I
type. I LIKE smoking, which makes it so much harder to quit..haveing
been a full time smoker since I was about 16...

Gunner

Roger that! I did too. Cheer up, you're already thru the hard part
-- the first 3 days, during which you had plenty of other
distractions. I went cold turkey, no patches or Chantrix or any of
that stuff. I hear the urge to smoke is pretty much gone after 13
years or so. G

I still miss it now and then, but only for fleeting moments no big
deal at all. Fitch quit over 20 years ago, said this summer that if
he heard a meteor was going to destroy the planet tomorrow he'd go buy
a pack of smokes.

I sure DON'T miss going outside for a smoke when it's skatey-eight
below zero or raining all day.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

I still miss it now and then, but only for fleeting moments no big
deal at all. Fitch quit over 20 years ago, said this summer that if
he heard a meteor was going to destroy the planet tomorrow he'd go buy
a pack of smokes.

I'd probably do the same thing. It would break my record of 23 years with out a smoke
though.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ive not had a smoke since 6:30am Saturday of last. Currently I have a
nicotine patch on my back.

The desire for a smoke hasnt left yet, so Im sucking on a straw as I
type. I LIKE smoking, which makes it so much harder to quit..haveing
been a full time smoker since I was about 16...

That's the exact same sort of nonsense you wrote after your previous
raid on a hospital's budget. You didn't follow through then, and I'd
be shocked if you do so now. After all, there's little incentive for
you do the right thing, since you have no ability or intention of
paying for your own care no matter how much your behavior worsens your
health.

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

That's some kind of hilarious sig considering the situation at hand.
Although I'm guessing that in your mind, you're overflowing with
common sense, such as posting about a lifetime of smoking and then
trying to pretend that smoking hasn't anything to do with your health
problems. Or posting a decade-long treasure trove of damning personal
details, and then filing a lawsuit in a low-life attempt to milk
health care providers. Heck, their lawyers are probably liberals who
couldn't possibly have the common sense to google you, eh? Here's your
only chance of getting some dough out of your situation: sell tickets
to the discovery sessions.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:57:54 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:37:30 -0700, wrote:

May you and your lawyer deserve each other.

No kidding. Considering the logic that Gummer deploys here day in and
day out, nobody should be surprised that he hopes for a windfall from
a lifetime of refusing to take responsibility. Regarding that lawsuit,
I got news for him - the normal presumption that a jury will feel
sorry for the poor disabled guy doesn't apply here. A good defense
lawyer will be able to use Gummer's Usenet posts to paint a clear
picture of an irresponsible lifestyle,

Please advise to the details of the Irresponsible life style. Do go into
details and provide the cites as you find them.

Ill be waiting with bated breath as it were.

Do you think it's "responsible" to indulge in a time-consuming Usenet
hobby, detailing all your latest acquisitions, while telling your docs
that there's no possible way to pay them back in this lifetime? Do you
think it's responsible to profit and add to the cost of health care by
suing your providers? Do you think it's responsible to have *ever*
smoked? Your first heart event was supposed to be your wakeup call. Do
you think it's responsible to keep right on smoking after that? Your
situation is barely different from the octuplet moron's. Neither of
you can afford the cost of your treatment, yet both carry on with the
same stupid behavior. At least diapering is more productive than
someone with a disastrous personal situation spending hours every day
lecturing about what everybody else is doing wrong.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 1, 1:02 am, Larry Jaques wrote:

True. BTW, have you quit smoking yet? gd&wvvf

Our public health system deals with it nicely - your first heart
attack, you get whatever it takes to get you well - if you still
smoke, and have a 2nd one, you get put in a general ward and you take
your chances without major surgery and expense.
Also, no liver transplants for drug addicts/alcoholics, no lung
transplants for smokers.

Now, I would have thought such a system would appeal to Gunner - its
called "freedom of choice" and "accepting responsibility for your own
actions".....

And we do have private health insurance as well - mind you, its been
distorted by the previous conservative gov. subsidizing it by billions
of dollars (sorta like your banks) - it enables you to "jump the
waiting list" for elective surgery, ie non life threatening illness.

But if your in a bad car crash. or a major heart attack, or need
neurosurgery, most people prefer to use the public hospital system as
its got the gear and the expertise...

Andrew VK3BFAA.

BTW - our beer is better than yours too.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Amazing that a hospital is forced to provide medical care to someone who
either cannot pay or chooses not to pay, and then is subject to a lawsuit
from that nonpaying "client"!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Soon, Gunner may be thanking President Obama and the Democratic
Congress, for providing him with universal health coverage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9692" wrote in message
Soon, Gunner may be thanking President Obama and the Democratic
Congress, for providing him with universal health coverage.

Don't hold you breath waiting for Gunner to be grateful for that.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:48:17 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

True. BTW, have you quit smoking yet? gd&wvvf

Ive not had a smoke since 6:30am Saturday of last. Currently I have a
nicotine patch on my back.

Excellent. But taper off the nicotine quickly if you can. It's that
drug in your system which makes you want to smoke even more.

The desire for a smoke hasnt left yet, so Im sucking on a straw as I
type. I LIKE smoking, which makes it so much harder to quit..haveing
been a full time smoker since I was about 16...

I quit a 2.5pk/day habit 21 years ago (next month!) I had tapered down
to half a pack a day when I got sick and decided that since I hadn't
smoked in 3 days, it was time. Most of the nicotine was out of my
system by then. I took up pencil chewing when I wasn't chawin' on
sugarless bubblegum. Whenever I wanted a drag on a cig, I simply
closed my eyes and took a deep breath, sometimes outside. It fills the
same hole cigs did but it doesn't make you stink. G'luck!

--== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==--
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:34:27 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

True. BTW, have you quit smoking yet? gd&wvvf

Ive not had a smoke since 6:30am Saturday of last. Currently I have a
nicotine patch on my back.

The desire for a smoke hasnt left yet, so Im sucking on a straw as I
type. I LIKE smoking, which makes it so much harder to quit..haveing
been a full time smoker since I was about 16...

Gunner

Roger that! I did too. Cheer up, you're already thru the hard part
-- the first 3 days, during which you had plenty of other
distractions. I went cold turkey, no patches or Chantrix or any of
that stuff. I hear the urge to smoke is pretty much gone after 13
years or so. G

Nah, the old habit/memories die within 6 months, but the majority of
it is over in the first week, once you get the nicotine out.

--
Even with the best of maps and instruments,
we can never fully chart our journeys.
-- Gail Pool
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:16:14 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

One doesnt go from "good condition" to 2 of the most important being
100% plugged..and the Most Important being 95% occluded in 2 months.

Gunner

Can't argue with that. They can tell with an echocardiogram if they
do one. EKG doesn't necessarily tell the story. Mine was and still is
perfectly normal. I guess xrays don't necessarily reveal blocked
arteries either. The echo workup does; they can even tell the
ejection fraction of each chamber. But only if they do the scan.
Takes about 45 minutes.

Q:How could they have spent ten grand and NOT done an echo?
A: Negligence.

--
Even with the best of maps and instruments,
we can never fully chart our journeys.
-- Gail Pool
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 1, 11:55*am, wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:18:13 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Feb 1, 1:02 am, Larry Jaques wrote:

True. *BTW, have you quit smoking yet? *gd&wvvf

Our public health system deals with it nicely - your first heart
attack, you get whatever it takes to get you well - if you still
smoke, and have a 2nd one, you get put in a general ward and you take
your chances without major surgery and expense.

Apparently that's not universal. Gummer had his first event years ago,
didn't change his ways, yet still got another even more expensive
round of care recently. You'd think he'd be mortified and grateful,
but instead he's going to sue! Paging Jerry Springer!

Wayne

True, but it is under socialised medicine - helps filter the gene
pool....

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

One doesnt go from "good condition" to 2 of the most important being
100% plugged..and the Most Important being 95% occluded in 2 months.

Gunner

Can't argue with that. They can tell with an echocardiogram if they
do one. EKG doesn't necessarily tell the story. Mine was and still is
perfectly normal. I guess xrays don't necessarily reveal blocked
arteries either. The echo workup does; they can even tell the
ejection fraction of each chamber. But only if they do the scan.
Takes about 45 minutes.

Q:How could they have spent ten grand and NOT done an echo?

That does seem to be a reasonable question.

It could well be that folks who pay their bills get preferential
treatment. Is that not fair? Isn't the essence of survivalism a
matter of providing whatever's necessary for survival -- which may
include medical insurance as higher priority than armament and ammo?
I merely pose the question, pick yer pony and take yer ride.

Not to say that anyone should be left completely behind; they can be
wards and beneficiaries of public spending by the democrats. Timing is
propitous because there'll be a lot of that going on now.

Gunner is a veteran. Veterans are entitled to medical care per
promises made at time of enlistment or commission, right? WRONG! The
gummint has not honored the promises made, shamefully so. The gummint
is behaving like scumbag Kalifornia lawyers, the machete cuts both
ways. So sad, too bad, tough **** if you were silly enough to believe
the promises made back then.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So it's good bye heart trouble and HELLO cancer. Man, you're costing us all
a fortune.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

True. BTW, have you quit smoking yet? gd&wvvf

Ive not had a smoke since 6:30am Saturday of last. Currently I have a
nicotine patch on my back.

The desire for a smoke hasnt left yet, so Im sucking on a straw as I
type. I LIKE smoking, which makes it so much harder to quit..haveing
been a full time smoker since I was about 16...

Gunner

I have a half-assed theory about smoking cessation. I offer no cites
or even argument of validity, and I'm not trying to convince anyone of
anything. It's just an opinion for what it's worth. Here goes:
Evidence seems to suggest that nicotine is mostly flushed after 3 days
or so -- unless one slows that with patches, gum or whatever. However,
a strong urge to smoke sure as hell isn't gone after three days, doubt
if you'd argue with that. There is certainly an issue of chemical
addiction, but looks to me like that's by no means the whole story.

I therefore submit that successful cessation is a matter of will. How
one invests it depends on one's individual capacity and nature --
either lots of it for a shorter time or less of it with crutches for a
correspondingly longer time, but a certain minimum total investment of
determination and will is required regardless of which path is chosen.
By "crutches" I mean things like Chantrix, patches, sucking on
straws,eating carrots, etc etc. I'm not knocking them at all,
whatever works --- but I do think their use draws things out
and in some cases may actually reduce probability of success. Their
success rates seem to bear this out. Those that succeed do so because
they damn well decide that they are going to succeed with failure not
an option.

My cardiologist, who has seen a LOT of people go thru this, strongly
agreed. While still in hospital I told him I'd rejected strong
encouragement to use Chantrix because I didn't like what I'd read
about side effects and would not start it unless he advised me to do
so. He said he agreed, said "you don't need that."

He was right.

My wife asked him later if he could sorta tell who might make it and
who might not. He looked sorta bashful and said, "well....yeah."

Meanwhile, my neighbor did 8 weeks with Chantrix. I think he was more
miserable than I for considerably longer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I dunno, Don.

My second week, I slipped and had one cigarette.
But that was a slip - not a land slide.
I haven't had one since.

I'm 20 months quit now after 35 years smoking.
There isn't often a day that I don't think I want a cigarette.

But then i see some poor slob sucking on one and I'm thankful that
I don't smoke any more...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Me too. Point is, we ignore the urge and it quickly passes.

But then i see some poor slob sucking on one and I'm thankful that
I don't smoke any more...

Oh yeah! Especially when they're shivering outside a door when the
windchill is -30.

Gunner's Status Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 31st 09 06:56 AM
Gunner's Status Brian Lawson Metalworking 4 January 31st 09 05:05 AM
Gunner's Status Pete C. Metalworking 0 January 31st 09 04:21 AM
Gunner's Status Shabtai Evan[_2_] Metalworking 0 January 31st 09 12:53 AM
Gunner's Status Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 January 30th 09 11:50 PM