Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, who to thank?

In this time of financial hardship, when thousands upon thousands are
joining the ranks of the unemployed, I find myself in the position of having
a good job and having an interview for a significantly better job. I am
very thankful for this but I can't figure out who to thank. According to
the left, everything is George Bush's fault but only as long as it's bad, so
I can't thank Bush. Nothing is to blame on Obama, the Democrats, or those
who vote for him/them, so if it's not his fault then he shouldn't get credit
for my good fortune either. Personally, I believe in God and I believe
Jesus was God come to earth, but the left doesn't believe in Jesus, God, or
anything else that can't touch or see (perhaps they don't believe in radio
waves either?).

Anyway, I thank my God that in this terrible economic time I find myself
with a good job and an interview for a better job and I thank the liberals
because some Godless folk have to pay for my good fortune! TMT, take care
of my part of the Bush deficit, will you? :-)

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-29, RogerN wrote:
In this time of financial hardship, when thousands upon thousands are
joining the ranks of the unemployed, I find myself in the position of having
a good job and having an interview for a significantly better job. I am
very thankful for this but I can't figure out who to thank.

Maybe you should thank yourself.

Anyway, I thank my God that in this terrible economic time I find myself
with a good job and an interview for a better job and I thank the liberals
because some Godless folk have to pay for my good fortune! TMT, take care
of my part of the Bush deficit, will you? :-)

Strangely enough, I do not believe in God, but am doing OK too.

I hope the interview is going to go well. Tell them about your home
CNC experimenting, some employers like people who like to mess with
similar stuff in spare time. Good luck.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You're a liberal's nightmare! Responsibility to God and yourself. You're
exactly what liberals are trying to destroy...except for you're paying of
taxes. And, imagine...recognizing a higher authority than your government?
I'll bet your see God's hand every day, something the liberals will never
understand or enjoy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 29, 12:17*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Well, maybe it was by your own efforts, and having a skill that's
still in demand? - and how come your god chose you for this, and
dumped on everyone else?
BTW - good luck with the interview, hope it goes well.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:17:21 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

[...]

You've posed a question and your answer, so your post must be intended
to influence others toward your faith. No perjorative intent here,
just sayin'...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
[...]

I thank "whatever" that I am retired now for 10 years and all you
folks that are supporting me via Social Security. :-) Of course
I also have the retirement plans I took care of while working. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
m...
RogerN wrote:
[...]

I'd keep your eye on the want ads, the value of assets might fall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
[...]

That's the old-time-religion spirit, Roger: Thank God for making other
people pay for what you have.

It all fits, ya' know? Take history's all-time liberal, Jesus Christ, dress
him up as a conservative, and then pray to him for making other people's
lives hell.

You've really got it. Your shamans...er, ministers, would be proud of you.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's the old-time-religion spirit, Roger: Thank God for making other
people pay for what you have.

It all fits, ya' know? Take history's all-time liberal, Jesus Christ, dress
him up as a conservative, and then pray to him for making other people's
lives hell.

You've really got it. Your shamans...er, ministers, would be proud of you.

--
Ed Huntress

I think we're about to find out how big the sarchasm is here.........

http://www.opennntp.com/Philosophy/for-those-that-like-words-64494702.html

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

Groucho Marx (1895–1977)
For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class
installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dnews.htm ----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

Anyway, I thank my God that in this terrible economic time I find myself
with a good job and an interview for a better job

Make sure you explain to the interviewer that you only work on stuff God
approves of, and that you don't expect to work for them for very long
since the antichrist is in the whitehouse and you will be raptured next
tuesday if all goes as planned.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Snell" wrote in message ...

That's the old-time-religion spirit, Roger: Thank God for making other
people pay for what you have.

It all fits, ya' know? Take history's all-time liberal, Jesus Christ,
dress him up as a conservative, and then pray to him for making other
people's lives hell.

You've really got it. Your shamans...er, ministers, would be proud of
you.

--
Ed Huntress

I think we're about to find out how big the sarchasm is here.........

http://www.opennntp.com/Philosophy/for-those-that-like-words-64494702.html

Pete

Ha-ha! I have to remember some of those...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote:

Anyway, I thank my God that in this terrible economic time I find myself
with a good job and an interview for a better job

A good work ethic and a personal search of learning will help you achieve success.

Living to an honor code be it religious or one of personal integrity will win out most of
the time.

Having said that, I've dodged many calamities that makes me think someone is looking over
me. I tend to think I'm being given time get my act together so I'll think more about us
than me.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

That's the old-time-religion spirit, Roger: Thank God for making other
people pay for what you have.

It all fits, ya' know? Take history's all-time liberal, Jesus Christ,
dress him up as a conservative, and then pray to him for making other
people's lives hell.

You've really got it. Your shamans...er, ministers, would be proud of you.

--
Ed Huntress

Thanks Ed,
If I get the job perhaps you can think of me every time you pay your power
bill :-)

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Yep, I bet he does see God's hand every day. Except only when he sees things
that are good. When he sees bad things he somehow doesn't see any connection
to God. Take all the people who are suffering through this economic
downturn, all the people who have lost their jobs, their homes, everything.
I wonder if he sees God's hand in this. I doubt it. That's the neat thing
about believers. They get exactly what they want out of their religion and
nothing they don't want. No wonder it's called the opiate of the masses. It
sure helps make everything in life seem so much nicer than it really is.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You talking about religious beliefs is like a fish talking about space
flight. But I, as a conservative believer, never stand so tall as when I
stoop to explain something to a fringe-liberal atheist. It's just something
you are incapable of understanding because you can only quantify things in
your very limited human terms. If something doesn't fit in your box, you
can't comprehend it so you ridicule it because that's the only way you can
feel good about your little comfort zone. FYI, God doesn't sit around
thinking of ways to make the lives of His followers easy, if anything He
thinks of ways to challenge His followers. I feel bad that He has chosen
not to touch your heart and open your eyes by now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

That's the old-time-religion spirit, Roger: Thank God for making other
people pay for what you have.

It all fits, ya' know? Take history's all-time liberal, Jesus Christ,
dress him up as a conservative, and then pray to him for making other
people's lives hell.

You've really got it. Your shamans...er, ministers, would be proud of
you.

--
Ed Huntress

Thanks Ed,
If I get the job perhaps you can think of me every time you pay your power
bill :-)

RogerN

Or, every time Ed goes to church ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message
news

"Hawke" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You know, Tom, since you told us that you sometimes write things here just
to be provocative, we never know when you're being serious and when you're
pulling our legs.

I thought you were serious about this until you said "your very limited
human terms." Surely we humans are limited. But if you're claiming
super-human understanding, then I'm assuming you're being provocative and
not serious.

Right?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

That's the old-time-religion spirit, Roger: Thank God for making other
people pay for what you have.

It all fits, ya' know? Take history's all-time liberal, Jesus Christ,
dress him up as a conservative, and then pray to him for making other
people's lives hell.

You've really got it. Your shamans...er, ministers, would be proud of
you.

--
Ed Huntress

Thanks Ed,
If I get the job perhaps you can think of me every time you pay your
power bill :-)

RogerN

Or, every time Ed goes to church ;-)

Since I have Roger blocked, I don't know if that was his entire response or
not. If it is, I have no idea what he's talking about. He has nothing to do
with my power bill.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message
news

"Hawke" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

As humans, we all have very limited understanding. I think the key is
KNOWING that understanding is severely limited. Therefore, that
acknowledgment of limitation opens the possibility if not probability that
there is something greater than human understanding. That alone is greater
understanding. Some people will not or cannot acknowledge anything greater
than what they can quantify in human terms. You do realize that thousands
of volumes could and have been written about this. I am not a good
philosopher, religious scholar or communicator. But that doesn't limit my
faith.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message
news

"Hawke" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Yes, I know what has been written about it. I just get antsy when someone
puts down another system of belief because they just "don't understand,"
especially when that "understanding" requires something that doesn't fall
within "human terms."

It's a claim that wavers on the edge of claiming superhuman understanding,
and I'm always interested to hear where they think they got it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

As someone that was raised as a Christian, both baptized and confirmed in
the Episcopal church, it's pretty unlikely that you would be able to tell me
anything about Christianity that I don't already know. But at least I don't
still believe the fairy tales I was taught when I was a little kid, like you
still do. I also appreciate you telling me about god and what he's doing and
why he does it. I can't help but wonder how it is that you know so much
about god. None of the rest of us actually knows a thing about what god
thinks or does. But at least you can add to the fairy tales any time it
suits you. How convenient. I guess that comes from the experience of god
touching your heart. The sad thing is that people like you want to believe
so much that you can fool yourself into believing that you have been in
touch with a supernatural being. Have you run into any Big Foot lately too?

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Yes, I know what has been written about it. I just get antsy when someone
puts down another system of belief because they just "don't understand,"
especially when that "understanding" requires something that doesn't fall
within "human terms."

It's a claim that wavers on the edge of claiming superhuman understanding,
and I'm always interested to hear where they think they got it.

--
Ed Huntress

You know, we're only human.
(What a nice way to say we aren't very nice beings!)

So, human beings being what they are, I suspect a case could be made that a
strong faith is indeed "super" human.

As in superior to the base human condition.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:

Yes, I know what has been written about it. I just get antsy when someone
puts down another system of belief because they just "don't understand,"
especially when that "understanding" requires something that doesn't fall
within "human terms."

It's a claim that wavers on the edge of claiming superhuman
understanding, and I'm always interested to hear where they think they
got it.

--
Ed Huntress

You know, we're only human.
(What a nice way to say we aren't very nice beings!)

So, human beings being what they are, I suspect a case could be made that
a strong faith is indeed "super" human.

As in superior to the base human condition.

Oh, I'm sure you can, if you're so inclined. In fact, Roger and Tom appear
to have done so already.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message
news
"Hawke" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

If anything, I claim a higher degree of ignorance because unlike some, I
know I'm ignorant. I get antsy when people claim they have "understanding".
Therefore, I have a higher degree of understanding than those that are
blissfully ignorant to the fact that they are ignorant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

Like I said, you are incapable of understanding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-30, Buerste wrote:

If anything, I claim a higher degree of ignorance because unlike some, I
know I'm ignorant. I get antsy when people claim they have "understanding".
Therefore, I have a higher degree of understanding than those that are
blissfully ignorant to the fact that they are ignorant.

I thought so as well. I thought, well, how much do we really know,
maybe God really exists, there is no proof that it does not exist
etc. So I was proud to think of myself as an agnostic who is open to
possibilities either way.

And then I looked at religion a little more closely and found it to be
nothing more than FUD, intellectual fraud, and often a political tool
that intentionally confuses people. And then a realization came that
admitting the possibility of something whose sole claim for existence
comes from the instutution of religion, is just absurd.

Then I became an atheist.

Just like RogerN, I am still employed, though I am not interviewing.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message
news
"Hawke" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Of course, you have no way of knowing if that's true, because, as you say
yourself, you have a higher degree of ignorance. d8-)

Thanks for the brief ride on the Mobius strip of greater understanding
that's a consequence of limited understanding, Tom. It's always remarkable
to me to see people get on that carnival ride and think they've gone
somewhere.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message
news
"Hawke" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I thought you'd like that! Notice, I have yet to try to convince people of
anything other than ignorance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had my interview a week ago and found out they need people to work 70-80
hours per week. Sounds like a bit much to me but I may try it out to see if
they really want that much OT and see how difficult it is, if I get a job
offer. Sounds like I wouldn't have any life outside of work but ~$150k per
year would be nice!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-08, RogerN wrote:
I had my interview a week ago and found out they need people to work 70-80
hours per week. Sounds like a bit much to me but I may try it out to see if
they really want that much OT and see how difficult it is, if I get a job
offer. Sounds like I wouldn't have any life outside of work but ~$150k per
year would be nice!

Well, now the question is, "Who to Blame" instead of "who to thank".

I did work 70 hour weeks and I can say now that I would not do it for
more or less any money, unless it is so much that I can retire in a
year, which is obviously utterly unrealistic. It is very painful if you
have any life outside of work, or even minimal commute. I hope it is
not something that involves standing for that long every day.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus24392" wrote in message
On 2009-02-08, RogerN wrote:
[...]

I've learned to just go with the flow. A couple of years ago the company I
work for cut employees wages and benefits around 23%, after that I had an
interview at a couple of different places. I didn't get either job but here
is how it worked out. The first place I had an interview at has been bought
by another company and part of the plant shut down, many were laid off.
Being a newer employee, I would have probably been laid off. The second
interview where I didn't get the job, another employee from our plant got
the job and came back, he said what they told him he would get, $23/hr in a
little over 2 years, didn't happen. Within 2 or 3 months of not getting the
job I interviewed for, I got one of the first "Lead Tech" positions and was
making over $23/hr while the guy that got the job was making $18/hr. The
bottom line is, even though I didn't get either job, I was better off than I
would have been if I had gotten the job.

I have 3 weeks of vacation now, I figure if I'm offered this job and
everything else sounds alright, I may take it and try it out while on 2
weeks of vacation. If the normal work week is really 70-80 hours, I don't
think I'd stay unless I really liked what I was doing. They did ask if I
actually programmed PLC's, if they are interested in that my job duties
might be more interesting than running conduit. Also, if I hired on in this
position I may be able to bid to a different position in time. If I worked
70-80 hours a week for a while I could pay off everything including most of
my house within about a year.

In my experience, when I trust God, even though things don't always work out
the way I hope, things do seem to work out for the best, and that is what I
want.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 19:51:34 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

I had my interview a week ago and found out they need people to work 70-80
hours per week. Sounds like a bit much to me but I may try it out to see if
they really want that much OT and see how difficult it is, if I get a job
offer. Sounds like I wouldn't have any life outside of work but ~$150k per
year would be nice!

RogerN

Pick yer pony and take yer ride, Roger. A lot of soldiers have
worked much longer hours with no life outside of work for a whole lot
less than $150K/yr.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 19:51:34 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

I had my interview a week ago and found out they need people to work 70-80
hours per week. Sounds like a bit much to me but I may try it out to see
if
they really want that much OT and see how difficult it is, if I get a job
offer. Sounds like I wouldn't have any life outside of work but ~$150k
per
year would be nice!

RogerN

Pick yer pony and take yer ride, Roger. A lot of soldiers have
worked much longer hours with no life outside of work for a whole lot
less than $150K/yr.

If they are doing 12hr shifts I may be able to do it, but if they are doing
16's with 8hr turn arounds and I'll have 2hrs driving a day, I don't know if
I'd be able to stay awake for 16 hours on 4 hours of sleep.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-08, RogerN wrote:

[...]

I cannot see how they could have you program PLCs on this kind of
schedule. You would be making too many mistakes, unless you are a
programming superman not needing any sleep.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/