Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe Accy Grind Polish GBI Superfinisher

Maybe someone here in RCM has seen or used this lathe accessory.

I saw one of these a while ago on eBay, and was unable to locate any info
about it then, and when I spotted another one with the accessories and
operating instructions recently, with only minutes left in the auction, I
bid on it kind of impulsively just because I wanted to see it up close.

All I've been able to locate by Goog searches have been patent website
references, or results for a belt device bt Dynabrade.

http://www.kwagmire.com/shop/superfi...rfinisher.html

I suspect that this may have been a short-lived amazing new product that
never really caught on, maybe from the '80s or '90s.
There is no motor, so it may have been intended as a cheaper alternative to
a toolpost grinder. If you've priced new toolpost grinders, you know how
much they can cost, but I don't know how much this lathe kit sold for.

It resembles the old style of pivoting knurling accessory which had two
knurls arranged vertically in a pivoting head.

It's very similar to that style, but with grinding (or polishing) wheels in
the head assembly. The wheels are geared to each other, and friction against
the rotating workpiece drives the wheels. Instead of the wheels just
rotating with the workpiece like set of knurls would, the gears drive the
grinding wheels in opposite directions.

If anyone knows anything about these Superfinishers, I'd enjoy hearing about
them.

--
WB
metalworking projects

how to accurately grind 60 degree lathe bits rodjava Metalworking 26 November 28th 08 12:57 AM
Turn or grind? steamer Woodturning 7 November 7th 06 05:35 PM
Using the Ellworth Grind Barry N. Turner Woodturning 16 July 10th 05 12:17 AM
FA: Harig Grind-All #1 [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 10th 05 04:50 PM
How to grind lathe bits on HF carbide tool grinder? Wally Blackburn Metalworking 3 August 30th 03 08:41 PM