DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Does anyone make HSS inserts for carbide tool holders? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/268250-does-anyone-make-hss-inserts-carbide-tool-holders.html)

Jim Stewart January 5th 09 11:13 PM

Does anyone make HSS inserts for carbide tool holders?

I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.

Wayne January 5th 09 11:44 PM

Does anyone make HSS inserts for carbide tool holders?

Jim Stewart explained on 1/5/2009 :
I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.

These are the only ones I know about.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ry=-1550042347

I don't know if they'd fit a carbide holder or if you have to get
the Warner holders also.

I got a set of the their holders and bits. I prefer HSS and am
too lazy to grind bits if I don't have to.

Wayne D.

Pete Keillor January 6th 09 12:46 AM

Does anyone make HSS inserts for carbide tool holders?

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:44:18 -0600, Wayne
wrote:

Jim Stewart explained on 1/5/2009 :
I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.

These are the only ones I know about.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ry=-1550042347

I don't know if they'd fit a carbide holder or if you have to get
the Warner holders also.

I got a set of the their holders and bits. I prefer HSS and am
too lazy to grind bits if I don't have to.

Wayne D.

I've dealt with them directly at http://www.arwarnerco.com/index.html.
They also show up at NAMES, probably Cabin Fever as well.

Pete Keillor

Ned Simmons January 6th 09 02:31 AM

Does anyone make HSS inserts for carbide tool holders?

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 15:13:55 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.

Maybe something from Thinbit...
http://www.kaisertool.com/catalog/index.htm

Would drill blanks be too slender?

Everede makes boring bars that use small HSS tool bits with a
triangular cross section.

--
Ned Simmons

Wes[_2_] January 6th 09 05:42 AM

http://www.arwarnerco.com/warner_catalog_kits.html

Jim Stewart January 6th 09 07:02 PM

wrote:

Jim Stewart explained on 1/5/2009 :
I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.

These are the only ones I know about.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ry=-1550042347

I don't know if they'd fit a carbide holder or if you have to get
the Warner holders also.

I got a set of the their holders and bits. I prefer HSS and am
too lazy to grind bits if I don't have to.

Wayne D.

I've dealt with them directly at http://www.arwarnerco.com/index.html.
They also show up at NAMES, probably Cabin Fever as well.

Just what I was looking for.

Thanks