Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does anyone make HSS inserts for carbide tool holders?

I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart explained on 1/5/2009 :
I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.

These are the only ones I know about.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ry=-1550042347

I don't know if they'd fit a carbide holder or if you have to get
the Warner holders also.

I got a set of the their holders and bits. I prefer HSS and am
too lazy to grind bits if I don't have to.

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:44:18 -0600, Wayne
wrote:

Jim Stewart explained on 1/5/2009 :
I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.

These are the only ones I know about.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ry=-1550042347

I don't know if they'd fit a carbide holder or if you have to get
the Warner holders also.

I got a set of the their holders and bits. I prefer HSS and am
too lazy to grind bits if I don't have to.

Wayne D.

I've dealt with them directly at http://www.arwarnerco.com/index.html.
They also show up at NAMES, probably Cabin Fever as well.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 15:13:55 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.

Maybe something from Thinbit...
http://www.kaisertool.com/catalog/index.htm

Would drill blanks be too slender?

Everede makes boring bars that use small HSS tool bits with a
triangular cross section.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.

http://www.arwarnerco.com/warner_catalog_kits.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Stewart explained on 1/5/2009 :
I have to make a number of fussy little
groove and radius lathe cutters. Grinding
a HSS insert would be easier than grinding
them out of a full size lathe tool.

These are the only ones I know about.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ry=-1550042347

I don't know if they'd fit a carbide holder or if you have to get
the Warner holders also.

I got a set of the their holders and bits. I prefer HSS and am
too lazy to grind bits if I don't have to.

Wayne D.

I've dealt with them directly at http://www.arwarnerco.com/index.html.
They also show up at NAMES, probably Cabin Fever as well.

Just what I was looking for.

Thanks