Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question about gearmotor power

Now I have a 1/2 hp , 247 in. lb torque, ac gearmotor that bogs down
under
the loads I need it for , and I need a bigger motor. I found another
1/2 hp motor
that has 487 in lbs , but am not certain that the higher torque
rating alone is
enough. So the question is : what is the relationship between hp,
torque, and actual
ability to perform high-load operations ?. This is (to be) set up
powering a rolling mill.
It was suggested that I get a .75 or 1 hp motor , but...

thanks,
Dar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 01:51:53 -0800 (PST), Dar
wrote:

Now I have a 1/2 hp , 247 in. lb torque, ac gearmotor that bogs down
under
the loads I need it for , and I need a bigger motor. I found another
1/2 hp motor
that has 487 in lbs , but am not certain that the higher torque
rating alone is
enough.

If you can accept about half the speed of your current motor, it is
OK. You would achieve the same if you could double the gear ratio on
your existing motor.

So the question is : what is the relationship between hp,
torque, and actual
ability to perform high-load operations

It is a very simple and direct relationship: Power is torque
multiplied by rotational speed. Depending in which measurement units
you choose, you may have to multiply by some constant.

In other words: If you keep the power constant and gear the motor to
run half as fast, it will produce twice the torque. And vice versa.
--
RoRo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dar wrote:
Now I have a 1/2 hp , 247 in. lb torque, ac gearmotor that bogs down
under
the loads I need it for , and I need a bigger motor. I found another
1/2 hp motor
that has 487 in lbs , but am not certain that the higher torque
rating alone is
enough. So the question is : what is the relationship between hp,
torque, and actual
ability to perform high-load operations ?. This is (to be) set up
powering a rolling mill.
It was suggested that I get a .75 or 1 hp motor , but...

thanks,
Dar

Dar

You need to know how much torque is necessary to drive your load, and
how fast you want it to rotate. Add some torque margin (like 50%) and
then pick a gear motor with matching specs.

Measure how much torque it takes to crank your mill with the heaviest
load you expect to use.

Ignoring gear efficiency losses hp = (RPM * torque_in*lb) / (5252*12)

I calculated the efficiency on one gear motor listing as 69%, others may
vary.

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 4, 4:51*am, Dar wrote:
Now I have a 1/2 hp , 247 in. lb torque, ac gearmotor *that bogs down
under
the loads I need it for , and I need a bigger motor. *I found another
1/2 hp motor
that has 487 in lbs , but am not certain *that the higher torque
rating alone is
enough. So the question is : what is the relationship between hp,
torque, and actual
ability to perform high-load operations ?. This is (to be) set up
powering a rolling mill.
It was suggested that I get a .75 or 1 hp motor , but...

thanks,
Dar

There is a table of torque, horsepower and RPM in the "POCKET REF",
page 126. It begins at 1 HP but you could divide the 5 and 7.5 entries
by 10. Torque in inch-Lbs = (HP * 63025) / RPM.

Turn the mill with a torque wrench to see how much you need.

jw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How to select the planetary reducer?
In the family of gear reducer, due to its small size, high efficiency, wide range of reduction, high accuracy and many other advantages, planetary reducer is widely used in servo, stepper, DC and other transmission system. Under the premise of ensuring the precision transmission, planetary reducer mainly used to reduce the speed, increase the torque and reduce the inertia ratio.
To select a planetary reducer, you first have to determine the reduction ratio. If there is no standard sample with a reduction ratio you need in our company, please make your order to our company.
After determined the reduction ratio, please multiply the rated torque of the servo motor with the reduction ratio, in der regal, the rated output torque should be less than the values obtained on the speed reducer that provided in the product catalog, at the same time, the overload capacity of the motor and the actual required maximum operating torque should also be considered. The required maximum operating torque is 2 times less than the rated output torque. After having been met the above conditions, please choose the smallest reducer, on account of small reducer is relatively low number of evaluations.
Next to consider the return gap of planetary reducer. The smaller the return gap, the higher the accuracy as well as the cost. Users could choose serial reducer that meet their accuracy requirements. We should also take account of the lateral / radial force and average life span. Its average life expectancy is far more than the service life of the servo motor. After having been met the above index, according to the product catalog provided by our company, users can select the reducer with your motor phase adaptation in installation size, shaft diameter and input flange.
Finally, you must consider the weight of the motor. A speed reducer is only allowed to be equipped with motors in a certain weight. If the motor is too heavy, the long time running will damage the input flange of the reducer.
China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing, manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in smart kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-transmission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunication and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different sizes.
In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partners around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.