Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Size matters? Guide to electric air compressors for home shops

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

But as far as size goes, buying small-ish isn't necessarily a bad thing, as
compressors are simply additive. Three small compressors should be exactly
equivalent to one big one, with a few advantages:

I've worked in a few factories. They start out with two big enough compressors with one
providing redundancy. Then slowly the demand gets to the point that both have to run to
keep the largest shift running.

Now in the beginning, management signed off on a spare but later on they can't seem to get
it into their head they need to buy another spare. They look like it is an acquisition I
look at it as replacing a loss.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote in
:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

But as far as size goes, buying small-ish isn't necessarily a bad
thing, as compressors are simply additive. Three small compressors
should be exactly equivalent to one big one, with a few advantages:

I've worked in a few factories. They start out with two big enough
compressors with one providing redundancy. Then slowly the demand
gets to the point that both have to run to keep the largest shift
running.

Now in the beginning, management signed off on a spare but later on
they can't seem to get it into their head they need to buy another
spare. They look like it is an acquisition I look at it as replacing
a loss.

Wes

Management tends to think in terms of what I call "The Anvil Theory": All
equipment and furnishings (other than THEIR office furnishings, that is) is
like an anvil - buy one, use it forever, no maintenance required, no
replacement required. [Note: even anvils may require occasional
maintenance!]