Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Scrounge

Sold a guy some advertising who sells ocean going containers. He has a LOT
of squares he has cut out to install doors for people. IIRC, the door is
6'w x 7'h. Nice cuts, as they have to be pretty good for the door to fit.
Anyway, I'm going up Tuesday and bring back all my trailer can handle. Use
them for fencing, and roofing on my progressing compound area. Thought I
would put up cedar posts and rails, then lag bolt them to the rails, then on
the outside, mount a straight cedar post in every valley of the sheet, so
that it basically looks almost like a cedar post fence from outside.
Sturdy. Free. Can't beat that.

Steve

--
Keep an eye on them or lose them:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My thoughts, exactly. Chain link for example, is only suited to poles/posts
because of it's light weight.
Even poorly balanced wood fencing will lean in time, in many/most soil
types.

--
WB
metalworking projects

SteveB wrote:
Sold a guy some advertising who sells ocean going containers. He has a
LOT of squares he has cut out to install doors for people. IIRC, the
door is 6'w x 7'h. Nice cuts, as they have to be pretty good for the
door to fit. Anyway, I'm going up Tuesday and bring back all my trailer
can handle. Use them for fencing, and roofing on my progressing compound
area. Thought I would put up cedar posts and rails, then lag bolt them
to the rails, then on the outside, mount a straight cedar post in every
valley of the sheet, so that it basically looks almost like a cedar post
fence from outside. Sturdy. Free. Can't beat that.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 18:59:35 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

Sold a guy some advertising who sells ocean going containers. He has a LOT
of squares he has cut out to install doors for people. IIRC, the door is
6'w x 7'h. Nice cuts, as they have to be pretty good for the door to fit.
Anyway, I'm going up Tuesday and bring back all my trailer can handle. Use
them for fencing, and roofing on my progressing compound area. Thought I
would put up cedar posts and rails, then lag bolt them to the rails, then on
the outside, mount a straight cedar post in every valley of the sheet, so
that it basically looks almost like a cedar post fence from outside.
Sturdy. Free. Can't beat that.

Steve

Excellent thinking outside the box

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 05:43:38 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

My thoughts, exactly. Chain link for example, is only suited to poles/posts
because of it's light weight.
Even poorly balanced wood fencing will lean in time, in many/most soil
types.

"Poorly balanced" wood fencing is improperly installed. If it's
imbalanced, it's _already_ leaning.

--
Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across
thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.