DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT -- Georgia Acted in Self-Defense -- Some people seem to misunderstand which country was invaded (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/266042-ot-georgia-acted-self-defense-some-people-seem-misunderstand-country-invaded.html)

Joseph Gwinn December 2nd 08 01:51 PM

OT -- Georgia Acted in Self-Defense -- Some people seem to misunderstand which country was invaded

Mikheil Saakashvili, President of Georgia, makes his case against the
Russians.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122817723737570713.html

The Wall Street Journal, 2 December 2008.

Joe Gwinn

Ignoramus21077 December 2nd 08 06:55 PM

On 2008-12-02, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Mikheil Saakashvili, President of Georgia, makes his case against the
Russians.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122817723737570713.html

The Wall Street Journal, 2 December 2008.

Saakashvili's credibility hovers somewhere between positive ane
negative zero these days.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...578273,00.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/op...20kristof.html

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Cydrome Leader December 2nd 08 10:51 PM

On 2008-12-02, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Mikheil Saakashvili, President of Georgia, makes his case against the
Russians.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122817723737570713.html

The Wall Street Journal, 2 December 2008.

Saakashvili's credibility hovers somewhere between positive ane
negative zero these days.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...578273,00.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/op...20kristof.html

I keep reading about this, and it's not clear what either side even wants
in the end, if anything.

Other conflicts actually make some sense.

Joseph Gwinn December 3rd 08 02:22 PM

OT -- Georgia Acted in Self-Defense -- Some people seem to misunderstand which country was invaded

In article ,

On 2008-12-02, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Mikheil Saakashvili, President of Georgia, makes his case against the
Russians.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122817723737570713.html

The Wall Street Journal, 2 December 2008.

Saakashvili's credibility hovers somewhere between positive ane
negative zero these days.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...578273,00.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/op...20kristof.html

Warring pundits. Saakashvili made some very specific and verifiable
claims. Let's see how it plays out over the next few weeks. Eventually
we will hear what the various western intelligence agencies think of all
this.

Joe Gwinn

Ignoramus28817 December 3rd 08 04:56 PM

On 2008-12-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-12-02, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Mikheil Saakashvili, President of Georgia, makes his case against the
Russians.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122817723737570713.html

The Wall Street Journal, 2 December 2008.

Saakashvili's credibility hovers somewhere between positive ane
negative zero these days.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...578273,00.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/op...20kristof.html

Warring pundits. Saakashvili made some very specific and verifiable
claims. Let's see how it plays out over the next few weeks. Eventually
we will hear what the various western intelligence agencies think of all
this.

Saakashvili sponsored McCain's senior election adviser Randy
Scheunemann. He also enjoyed great support from McCain, possibly
coincidentally. Since McCain lost, and Obama is not similarly
influenced by Saakashvili, I hope that there will not be too much
pressure from the government to influence what is reported about that
war, so we indeed should learn a little more about that interesting
bit of history.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Joseph Gwinn December 4th 08 03:14 PM

On 2008-12-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus21077 wrote:

On 2008-12-02, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

Yes. But even if McCain won and your fears of undue influence were
realized, it would have little effect on non-US intelligence agencies.
So I'm not sure that McCain et al would even try. I also think that
McCain would want to know the truth, even if it were not to be published.

Joe Gwinn

Ignoramus24189 December 4th 08 04:47 PM

On 2008-12-04, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-12-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus21077 wrote:

On 2008-12-02, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

I personally read every piece of news about that war and find that
short story to arouse my curiosity.

Clearly, Saakashvili hopes for a victory within several hours, whereby
he would seal the Roki tunnel and prevent Russians from sending
reinforcements. That did not happen, but was close to happening. His
army was slowed down by a few hundred people.

Also, clearly, Russians knew about Georgian preparations and prepared.

What is not so clear is 1) who encouraged Saakashvili to attack and 2)
did Russia intentionally try to provoke him into war or not.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/