Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dessicants

I'm getting ready to move into my container, and also to move another one or
two in and start forming my compound. The container I have seems to be
sealed quite well. We have all manner of weather here from snow to sleet to
rain to humid days.

What would be a good desiccant to put in there? Something of the type I
could leave in a 5 gal. bucket. Rice? Kitty litter? Commercial desiccant?
I really don't have any problems with stuff in my garage or other shop, but
this one seals up tighter, and if some humid air is trapped in there, it may
not dry out on its own.

Also, would those whirligig roof turbines be a good idea to install? Seems
like it would keep down the heat in summer, but might allow for water
infiltration.

Steve

--
Keep an eye on them or lose them:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-02, SteveB toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
I'm getting ready to move into my container, and also to move another one or
two in and start forming my compound. The container I have seems to be
sealed quite well. We have all manner of weather here from snow to sleet to
rain to humid days.

What would be a good desiccant to put in there? Something of the type I
could leave in a 5 gal. bucket. Rice? Kitty litter? Commercial desiccant?
I really don't have any problems with stuff in my garage or other shop, but
this one seals up tighter, and if some humid air is trapped in there, it may
not dry out on its own.

Also, would those whirligig roof turbines be a good idea to install? Seems
like it would keep down the heat in summer, but might allow for water
infiltration.

If you can get electric power there, your best bet would be a
desiccant wheel dehumidifier, such as Logis-Tech DEW-50. These were
originally used to dry armored vehicles.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 1, 8:57*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
I'm getting ready to move into my container, and also to move another one or
two in and start forming my compound. *The container I have seems to be
sealed quite well. *

What would be a good desiccant to put in there? *Something of the type I
could leave in a 5 gal. bucket. *Rice? *Kitty litter? *Commercial desiccant?

Kitty litter is not as efficient as cement (mainly quicklime,
cement is as low cost per pound of water removed as any
material I'd know how to buy).

CaSO4 is typical commercial dessicant. Sold as 'Drierite',
it can be baked dry and reused.

CaCl is another commercial dessicant, 'Dri-Z-Air'; ;it turns to
goo and you just gotta keep buying more.

Home dehumidifiers (the kind that hum and have compressors)
don't work outside, the cold parts frost over at ambient temperature
below 55 Fahrenheit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 1, 6:57*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
[...]

My parents had a pair of roof turbines on the house and had no
problems with rain.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

I'm getting ready to move into my container, and also to move another one or
two in and start forming my compound. The container I have seems to be
sealed quite well. We have all manner of weather here from snow to sleet to
rain to humid days.

No seal will stand up to atmospheric change, the container will breath
in cool damp air and breath out warm dry air. The army solves this
problem with a solar desicator, a solar panel that heats up in the sun
and drives moisture off when the container is exhaling and dries the
incoming air when cool. Properly designed, it will stabilize the
humidity below the dew point long term.