Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Saw Blades And HSS References

I'm wondering if someone can disprove or absolutely confirm that saw blades
do not consist of HSS.

The term Bimetal or bi-metal doesn't absolutely mean that a blade consists
partly of HSS, or that a blade could.

Typically, all saw blades are bimetal, since the blade backing section is
somewhat mild steel, and the tooth section is high carbon steel continuously
welded along the length of the blade (including hole saws).

Envision a coping saw blade (tooth section) welded to a steel backing
section that makes up the overall width of the blade, such as a hacksaw,
bandsaw or hole saw blade. When the paint is removed from some new saw
blades, this is evident.

The little knowlege that I'm certain of concerning HSS is that;
1. it doesn't bend (or flex repeatedly)
2. it can't be filed with an ordinary file

When I see references to HSS saw blades, it sounds like a crock to me,
although these references are common.

--
WB
metalworking projects