Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More Home Invasions / 911

Don't you guys be so hard on the poor little old home invaders, they're just Christmas
shopping! ;-) Errr... Maybe they're just collecting their portion of all the "stimulus
Packages" that are being given to the bankers and other crooks!

To the subject...

Seriously, our local sheriff warns of four more home invasions - all unsolved as far as I
know. This is a weekly paper (last Wednesday's, and the only paper printed in the county)
so it may have an update next Wednesday.

Heading: "Home invasions a threat: Citizens urged to take precautions"

The sheriff warns, "Keep your doors locked and watch out for your neighbors" after four
home invasions in the last three weeks. They were in Perrytown, Soul City, Norlina and
Wise - all within Warren County, North Carolina. "They come in with masks and hoods, some
with guns and knives." No one injured yet! The sheriff says they are "robbing for money."

The sheriff says keep your doors locked. One of the four above was unlocked. "If an
unknown person comes to your door asking for help, do not open the door. Instead, tell
them you'll call 911 for them to obtain assistance."

"If someone comes to your house early in the morning, call 911."

"Call 911" was covered plenty. Nowhere did he mention arming yourselves!

Now, my little story. The other evening I was cooking some biscuits which hadn't been in
the oven very long and still had a few minutes to go before being done. An elderly
neighbor's auto alarm went off. I looked out and say her lights flashing and heard the
horn sounding. I called 911 and reported it to them as I wasn't sure if someone tampered
with the vehicle or she had fallen and hit her "panic button" on her key ring as a means
of getting some help. They said they'd send someone out. In another minute or two I
figured the biscuits might survive being left and just turned the oven off. At that point
I went over and the alarm had stopped. I beat on her door. She answered. Being hard of
hearing she hadn't heard anything. Said she didn't set it off, etc. We looked around the
back yard. I didn't tell her I was pretty well armed, but was. As I was about to leave a
lady officer drove up. ..... When SECONDS count 911 is only MINUTES away!

...... When SECONDS count 911 is only MINUTES away!

...... When SECONDS count 911 is only MINUTES away!

...... When SECONDS count 911 is only MINUTES away!

YOU are responsible for YOUR OWN protection. The BEST 911 can do is have someone
investigate the crime scene, pick up the pieces, clean up the mess and hopefully find the
perpetrator!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 30, 2:34*pm, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:24:19 -0500, Al Patrick wrote:
..... When SECONDS count 911 is only MINUTES away!

..... When SECONDS count 911 is only MINUTES away!

..... When SECONDS count 911 is only MINUTES away!

YOU are responsible for YOUR OWN protection. *The BEST 911 can do is have someone
investigate the crime scene, pick up the pieces, clean up the mess and hopefully find the
perpetrator!

Also remember that when the LEOs finally show up they will be as
interested in arresting you as they would be if the perps were still
there. So watch what you say.

And they won't mind shooting you first and asking questions later.

How do they know that YOU weren't the perp?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 30, 1:24*pm, Al Patrick wrote:
[...]

Have you considered that she could have shot you through the door?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Simon Jester wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:24:19 -0500, Al Patrick wrote:
..... When SECONDS count 911 is only MINUTES away!

..... When SECONDS count 911 is only MINUTES away!

..... When SECONDS count 911 is only MINUTES away!

YOU are responsible for YOUR OWN protection. The BEST 911 can do is have
someone
investigate the crime scene, pick up the pieces, clean up the mess and
hopefully find the
perpetrator!

Also remember that when the LEOs finally show up they will be as
interested in arresting you as they would be if the perps were still
there. So watch what you say.

They are MORE interested in arresting you since you are easier to catch
than the real perps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

s n i p

[...]

I really didn't consider it. Her door blind was a bit open and she went by the door about
time I got to it. Otherwise she may have never heard me....if she didn't hear her own
auto burglar alarm going off!

I guess I was more concerned in knowing that she was all right.

OTOH: When we were walking around in the back yard looking to see if anything seemed
suspicious either or both of us could have gotten it, had someone been hiding in a shrub
or behind an outbuilding.

I recall a situation back in the 50's where a deputy shined his flashlight into a bunch of
weeds and caught a blast from a shotgun. Instead of running toward the blast to subdue
the subject, or even keeping the spot under surveillance from a distance while calling for
backup the other LEO's all supposedly scattered, being more interested in the distance
than the surveillance. They came back later to arrest the suspect they had gone after in
the first place. It was pinned on him via circumstantial evidence. A sad story for all
concerned, but possibly another story of that old wheel going around again - you know, the
"carousel of life."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:57:19 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

Also remember that when the LEOs finally show up they will be as
interested in arresting you as they would be if the perps were still
there. So watch what you say.

And they won't mind shooting you first and asking questions later.

Ridiculous.

How do they know that YOU weren't the perp?

Because I'd identify myself when I call 911 and can prove my identity
(and address) if they ask in person upon arrival.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:59:27 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

Have you considered that she could have shot you through the door?

TMT

Your neighbors might be sorely tempted.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Also remember that when the LEOs finally show up they will be as
interested in arresting you as they would be if the perps were still
there. So watch what you say.

And they won't mind shooting you first and asking questions later.

Ridiculous.

How do they know that YOU weren't the perp?

Because I'd identify myself when I call 911 and can prove my identity
(and address) if they ask in person upon arrival.

In case you haven't been watching the news in the last few decades, the
LEOs are the ones who like to play Rambo and start shooting without
asking for ID or identifying themselves.