Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A swell day

I had a swell day today which included a gunsmoke luncheon and social.
Today it was the core trio of Brian, Todd and me. An odd lot, three
shooters on two lanes, but it worked out very nicely. I
demonstrated a bit of what I'd learned in my CQB (close quarters
battle) course last Jan (during a heart attack I didn't know about
until an encore in May), then they tried it. Brian picked it up
very quickly with just a bit of coaching re stance and recoil control,
Todd simply by observation. Nobody's takin' anything seriously,
just havin' fun and laughing some. Safety is always job 1 but that
has long since been second nature for the likes of we. Havin' fun is
job 1.

I didn't realize that they'd not had a chance to try the Ruger .357
revolver Mary 'n I discovered and accquired about June or so. That
was soon remedied, I had lots of ammo to share. One of them had a
Beretta semiauto .22 I'd never tried. They loved watching me shoot
that. I couldn't hit the inside of a closet with that wee popper,
very clearly not the fault of the pistol. It was hilarious. I did
stay on the paper, didn't shoot out any lights. Nevermind seeing the
sights, I could barely see the pistol.

CQB is about rapid fire so there were some BABABABABABABAM noises
coming from our lanes. Not at all uncommon at the range and it was
busy today. While certainly fun, rapid fire like that is usually
assocated with a rather wide and random distribution of holes in the
paper, what the heck. That is emphatically not the idea of CQB. CQB
is about scoring multiple manstopping hits as rapidly as possible.

When I was taking down the last of four paper silhouettes we'd shot
up with .40 S&W and .45ACP, I noted some other guys who were leaving
looking at that paper and then looking at us rather quizically. We
look, sound and are about as serious and dangerous as the PTA or
the Ladies' Literary Society ... but they obviously noticed the
target as they were leaving with their manly AR-16 and M-4 assault
rifles. It was the small Q silhouette, not the bigger ones used
by FBI and most copshops. There were no hits outside lethal COM
(center of mass) and the center where the Q used to be was shredded.
Their faces clearly said, "holy ****, who are these old guys?"

We're gentlemen, often accompanied by ladies, who enjoy shooting and
then good conversation over some rather good Greek grub in a nearby
hole-in-the-wall joint.

I just love it when that happens at the range. It purely makes my
day. I drive home grinnin' and lookin' forward to the next such
event.

It was a swell day. I never feel better than after a gunsmoke social
and luncheon with good friends and former colleagues. It purely beats
the hell out of being dead.

I'm still smoke-free and walkin' my 3.2 mph uphill mile every single
day, yo.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 23:51:48 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

I had a swell day today which included a gunsmoke luncheon and social.
Today it was the core trio of Brian, Todd and me. An odd lot, three
shooters on two lanes, but it worked out very nicely. I
demonstrated a bit of what I'd learned in my CQB (close quarters
battle) course last Jan (during a heart attack I didn't know about
until an encore in May), then they tried it. Brian picked it up
very quickly with just a bit of coaching re stance and recoil control,
Todd simply by observation. Nobody's takin' anything seriously,
just havin' fun and laughing some. Safety is always job 1 but that
has long since been second nature for the likes of we. Havin' fun is
job 1.

Most excellent, sir!

I didn't realize that they'd not had a chance to try the Ruger .357
revolver Mary 'n I discovered and accquired about June or so. That
was soon remedied, I had lots of ammo to share. One of them had a
Beretta semiauto .22 I'd never tried. They loved watching me shoot
that. I couldn't hit the inside of a closet with that wee popper,
very clearly not the fault of the pistol. It was hilarious. I did
stay on the paper, didn't shoot out any lights. Nevermind seeing the
sights, I could barely see the pistol.

Braggart. giggle

[...]

Wonderful! I won some looks by keeping my group the smallest in the
concealed weapons course shootout that day. I also got complaints from
half of them for the loud noises the little Keltec P-11 makes. g But
my grouping was much larger than yours. sigh

We're gentlemen, often accompanied by ladies, who enjoy shooting and
then good conversation over some rather good Greek grub in a nearby
hole-in-the-wall joint.

I just love it when that happens at the range. It purely makes my
day. I drive home grinnin' and lookin' forward to the next such
event.

Yes, that's wonderful.

It was a swell day. I never feel better than after a gunsmoke social
and luncheon with good friends and former colleagues. It purely beats
the hell out of being dead.

Congrats on both events, Don. (Good story, too.)

I'm still smoke-free and walkin' my 3.2 mph uphill mile every single
day, yo.

Atta Boy!

--
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-- Confucius
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
[...]

Smoke free and walkin- Good on ya!