DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Remembrance day (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/264543-remembrance-day.html)

Steve R.[_3_] November 11th 08 02:56 AM

Remembrance day

Nov. 11 is Remembrance Day In Canada. World War One ended on the eleventh
hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, 1918. Let us have two
minutes of silence to honour all of the servicemen and women, merchant
seamen, and civilians who gave their all for us.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.

- John McCrae

Steve R.

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 11th 08 05:06 AM

Remembrance day

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:56:42 -0800, "Steve R."
wrote:

[...]

A toast to the living
A drink to the dead

To absent friends.

Gunner, 55 tommorow.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Grumpy November 11th 08 09:36 AM

Remembrance day

"Steve R." wrote in message
[...]

Also in Australia. Same setiments

Rick Samuel[_2_] November 11th 08 10:45 AM

Remembrance day

wrote:

[...]

Hell, I thought you were old....to be 55 again.

Larry Jaques November 11th 08 01:11 PM

Remembrance day

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:06:05 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

Cheers! To absent friends and veterans of war.

Gunner, 55 tommorow.

Thanks for your service, ya young pup.

LJ, who turned 55 a full 3 months ago.

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.

Lew Hartswick November 11th 08 03:56 PM

Remembrance day

wrote:

[...]

A big A-Men to that.
...lew... (76+)

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 11th 08 06:31 PM

Remembrance day

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:45:09 +0300, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Moi? Old? Perish the thought!

Im only old from the moment I awaken, to the time after stumbling
painfully to the bathroom and then manage to take a good wiz. After
that, things get much better.

Gunner

Wes[_2_] November 12th 08 12:26 AM

Remembrance day

"Rick Samuel" wrote:

Hell, I thought you were old....to be 55 again.

55 put Gunner in the ****. I bet he gets bonus age for that experience.

Wes

Larry Jaques November 12th 08 12:29 AM

Remembrance day

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:31:34 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Gunner, 55 tommorow.

Hell, I thought you were old....to be 55 again.

Moi? Old? Perish the thought!

Im only old from the moment I awaken, to the time after stumbling
painfully to the bathroom and then manage to take a good wiz. After
that, things get much better.

Ditto here. Man, what's it going to be like when we're 80? shudder