Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BEWARE! PHishing Expedition!

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
netofbeaufortcounty...
I *appears* that someone is wishing to fake some mail from someone else! . . .
A phishing expedition to get passwords.

No problem, just give them a username and a password; any username and
password that happens to pop into your head at the moment! Let them waste their
time trying to do something with it.

Vaughn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Al Patrick" wrote in message
netofbeaufortcounty...

I *appears* that someone is wishing to fake some mail from someone else! . . .
A phishing expedition to get passwords.

No problem, just give them a username and a password; any username and
password that happens to pop into your head at the moment! Let them waste their
time trying to do something with it.

Vaughn

That is not a particularly good idea, Vaughn.
In doing so, your reply actually validates your real address,
regardless of what name you give them...

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Al Patrick" wrote in message
netofbeaufortcounty...

I *appears* that someone is wishing to fake some mail from someone else! . . .
A phishing expedition to get passwords.

No problem, just give them a username and a password; any username and
password that happens to pop into your head at the moment! Let them waste their
time trying to do something with it.

Vaughn

That is not a particularly good idea, Vaughn.
In doing so, your reply actually validates your real address,
regardless of what name you give them...

Worse yet, it gives the spammers a link between a valid e-mail address
and an IP address, which gives them an approximate geographic location.
It also allows them to correlate that e-mail address to IP logs of other
web services and, potentially, link tour e-mail adrress to accounts on
those services.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Al Patrick" wrote:

It *appears* that someone is wishing to fake some mail from someone else!
. . . A phishing expedition to get passwords.

Welcome to the internet!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al Patrick writes:

I received an email from

Never trust links in email. If you really teally have a question, go
to the website, and then look.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

That is not a particularly good idea, Vaughn.
In doing so, your reply actually validates your real address,
regardless of what name you give them...

Only if they have encoded something unique in each message that links it
back to who they sent it to. Certainly, some phishers do exactly that.
But, if you go to their hacked web site and enter a username and
password, it normally will NOT have your email address available unless
you give them that. (There are exceptions, such as if they can scrounge
around in your cookies. I don't allow any sites to see cookies left by
other sites for this reason.)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al Patrick wrote:
I received an email from this morning using the
subject of, Dear webmail Users, with the following contents:

Yeah, my server got hacked a few weeks ago and they put up a fake web
page from a Madrid (yes, Spain) bank. They'd been working very covertly
for a week setting it up after initially penetrating the system. Then,
I get an email from RSA security asking me to take down the page. A
couple hours later, i get a phone call from my ISP, and can tell them
I've already removed the offending page, and am trying to secure the
system better.

(System is Linux, running SMTP server and Apache. I had added the
denyhosts program, and thought that was enough. (It scans for multiple
login failures from the same IP (even if different user names) and puts
those IPs into the hosts.deny file, so, to the offending user, it
appears that you just pulled your network plug - no pings, no response
at all.) Well, if you have a stable of several HUNDRED compromised
hosts, you can still focus an attack on a system, by only making a
couple attempts from each IP until the system log file rolls over. I
hadn't thought of that gambit, or that capability. it took them several
months to compromise my system. I've severely cut down the number of
login attempts permitted, such that I sometimes even lock myself out!
I also made the password even harder to guess, essentially gibberish!
And, also removed the root account and made it something else. What a
pain! They do seem to have given up for the moment.

I'm looking at authentication schemes. Something where, AFTER you give
a valid username and password, it then sends you some kind of challenge,
and you have to do something non-obvious and send back a response based
on the challenge, or you get kicked off.

Somebody really ought to go hang these *******s!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:37:59 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

snip
I also made the password even harder to guess, essentially gibberish!

snip

The best, hardest to crack, easy to remember passwords are
simply long phrases. Like:

"my favorite car was a 1973 chevy elcamino"

or

"I enjoy reading rec.crafts.metalworking when I really
should be working"

Not much fun to type in, but easy to remember.

Short passwords, even with gibberish aren't all that hard to
crack. At least that is what the security experts claim...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk writes:

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:37:59 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

snip
I also made the password even harder to guess, essentially gibberish!

snip

The best, hardest to crack, easy to remember passwords are
simply long phrases. Like:

"my favorite car was a 1973 chevy elcamino"

Unless the system merely uses the first 7 or 8 characters, and truncates the rest.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-04, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:37:59 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

snip
I also made the password even harder to guess, essentially gibberish!

snip

The best, hardest to crack, easy to remember passwords are
simply long phrases. Like:

"my favorite car was a 1973 chevy elcamino"

or

"I enjoy reading rec.crafts.metalworking when I really
should be working"

Not much fun to type in, but easy to remember.

And passwords can be generated using such phrases or sentences
using the initial letters, replacing some words with symbols which have
a link in *your* mind, whether they fit someone else's is a different
matter. I once used '%' as a symbol for "bicycle". (Think of one
rearling up on the rear wheel.)

Short passwords, even with gibberish aren't all that hard to
crack. At least that is what the security experts claim...

Of course, in many systems, longer passwords can't be used. In
most early unix systems, only the first eight characters actually
matter, everything past that is ignored. The password is hashed (not
really encrypted) turning it into a 14-character stored field
which can't be reversed back to the password. Instead, when you log in,
the system uses the last two characters (the salt) to figure out which
of 4096 versions of the hashing to use, and applies that to what you
type in, and compares that to the stored hashed value.

Later versions use other hashing techniques which can accept
much longer significant parts of the password, and in that case the
phrase or sentence is the way to go -- though it helps if you work some
non-standard punctuation characters into it even so.

In OpenBSD, the limit is significantly larger:

The new password should be at least six characters long and not purely
alphabetic. Its total length must be less than _PASSWORD_LEN (currently
128 characters). A mixture of both lower and uppercase letters, numbers,
and meta-characters is encouraged.

Note the suggestion that you mix in upper, lower, numeric, and
punctuation.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maxwell Lol wrote:
Leon Fisk writes:

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:37:59 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

snip
I also made the password even harder to guess, essentially gibberish!

snip

The best, hardest to crack, easy to remember passwords are
simply long phrases. Like:

"my favorite car was a 1973 chevy elcamino"

Unless the system merely uses the first 7 or 8 characters, and truncates the rest.

You can be VERY sure that Linux uses ALL the
characters. With ssh logins, there are encryption
keys that are 1024 characters long, thank God they
don't make you type these in. Of course, by
making them so long they HAVE to be stored on some
computer, that compromises their security.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-05, Jon Elson wrote:
Maxwell Lol wrote:
Leon Fisk writes:

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:37:59 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

snip
I also made the password even harder to guess, essentially gibberish!
snip

The best, hardest to crack, easy to remember passwords are
simply long phrases. Like:

"my favorite car was a 1973 chevy elcamino"

Unless the system merely uses the first 7 or 8 characters, and truncates the rest.

You can be VERY sure that Linux uses ALL the
characters.

That depends on which encryption (actually hashing) technique it
uses. The original one uses only the first eight characters, and stores
the hash as a 13-character long string. (Look at /etc/passwd,
/etc/shadow, or wherever your version of linux stores the hashed
password. Look at the second ':'-delimited field and count the
characters).

The equivalent in OpenBSD is 60 characters long, using the
blowfish hashing algorithm.

There are several other hashing algorithms used by various
flavors of unix, but I think that all of them will accept and use the
old hash algorithm if it finds a matching string in the master password
file.

With ssh logins, there are encryption
keys that are 1024 characters long, thank God they
don't make you type these in.

Those are keys -- not passwords -- though if you set up sshd to
accept such connections in lieu of the password, it can serve in place
of a password. But mostly, that ssh encryption assures that no password
goes between systems in the clear, so you can't snoop on it if you have
access to the local net.

Of course, by
making them so long they HAVE to be stored on some
computer, that compromises their security.

Two strings -- which have to interact to assure both ends that
the system connecting is really the one which you want to have
connecting, and that the one which you are trying to connect to is
really the one which you think you are connecting to.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Phishing from HMRC? OT cynic UK diy 6 June 12th 08 07:56 PM
Conclusions after that GOOGLE expedition about drying Tom Nie Woodturning 5 April 29th 06 11:50 PM
Wanted Schematic 2001 Ford Expedition **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Electronics Repair 2 January 30th 06 04:17 AM