Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I am sore.

I spent the weekend helping my friend pack up his machine shop and load it
into two 40 foot shipping containers.

The surprising thing to me was that the machines are not all that hard to
move, but the packing up of all the tooling and material and lugging those
heavy boxes has me sore as hell.

The last time I helped him move he didn't have anywhere near as much stuff.
Sure is amazing how much stuff one can accumulate in 14 years.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger Shoaf wrote:

I spent the weekend helping my friend pack up his machine shop and load it
into two 40 foot shipping containers.

The surprising thing to me was that the machines are not all that hard to
move, but the packing up of all the tooling and material and lugging those
heavy boxes has me sore as hell.

The last time I helped him move he didn't have anywhere near as much stuff.
Sure is amazing how much stuff one can accumulate in 14 years.

Seems to have been the weekend for moving heavy stuff. I spent a chunk
of the weekend moving a couple 15 HP 5,000 PSI compressors, one of which
is now sitting in my shop (it needs an overhaul though).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Roger Shoaf wrote:

I spent the weekend helping my friend pack up his machine shop and load
it
into two 40 foot shipping containers.

The surprising thing to me was that the machines are not all that hard to
move, but the packing up of all the tooling and material and lugging
those
heavy boxes has me sore as hell.

The last time I helped him move he didn't have anywhere near as much
stuff.
Sure is amazing how much stuff one can accumulate in 14 years.

Seems to have been the weekend for moving heavy stuff. I spent a chunk
of the weekend moving a couple 15 HP 5,000 PSI compressors, one of which
is now sitting in my shop (it needs an overhaul though).

What's the cfm on a 5,000 psi compressor??
--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DrollTroll wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Roger Shoaf wrote:

I spent the weekend helping my friend pack up his machine shop and load
it
into two 40 foot shipping containers.

The surprising thing to me was that the machines are not all that hard to
move, but the packing up of all the tooling and material and lugging
those
heavy boxes has me sore as hell.

The last time I helped him move he didn't have anywhere near as much
stuff.
Sure is amazing how much stuff one can accumulate in 14 years.

Seems to have been the weekend for moving heavy stuff. I spent a chunk
of the weekend moving a couple 15 HP 5,000 PSI compressors, one of which
is now sitting in my shop (it needs an overhaul though).

What's the cfm on a 5,000 psi compressor??

Something around 17 CFM apparently with a 15 HP motor:
http://www.augustindustries.com/wort...2a4-p-547.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
... 15 HP 5,000 PSI compressors, one of which
is now sitting in my shop ...

I gotta' know - whatta' ya gonna use 5000psi for? My intuition is that
*no one* would use 5000psi air. Too much stored energy in case of a
failure. Why wouldn't one use hydraulics for a high pressure app?

I feel another surge of knowledge coming this way,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-28, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
... 15 HP 5,000 PSI compressors, one of which
is now sitting in my shop ...

I gotta' know - whatta' ya gonna use 5000psi for? My intuition is that
*no one* would use 5000psi air. Too much stored energy in case of a
failure. Why wouldn't one use hydraulics for a high pressure app?

They use it for starting aircraft turbines

I feel another surge of knowledge coming this way,
Bob

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
... 15 HP 5,000 PSI compressors, one of which
is now sitting in my shop ...

I gotta' know - whatta' ya gonna use 5000psi for? My intuition is that
*no one* would use 5000psi air. Too much stored energy in case of a
failure. Why wouldn't one use hydraulics for a high pressure app?

I feel another surge of knowledge coming this way,
Bob

The most common use would be for filling SCBA/SCUBA tanks. The common
80cf AL SCUBA tanks are filled to 3,000 PSI, and composite SCBA tanks
4,500 PSI. In my case it's the 3,000 PSI SCUBA tanks I plan to fill
along with blending my Nitrox.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

DrollTroll wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Roger Shoaf wrote:

[...]

Wow.... very inneresting!
I had no idea that was even possible!!
iirc, I think 15 cfm at 100 psi is what you see on larger shop-type
compressors.
So mebbe this guy with this air car idea knows what he is doing!

This compressor must have incredible cfm at lower pressures, no?

What are these compressors used for? *Not* shop air, I gather.

And, $4,500 doesn't seem bad. I think shop-type 80 gal Quincy's would be a
couple of grand, just for single stage.

--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DrollTroll wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

DrollTroll wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Roger Shoaf wrote:

[...]

The ones in industrial service get a lot bigger and a lot more CFM.
Rotary screw compressors are popular in that application too.

So mebbe this guy with this air car idea knows what he is doing!

Don't know, like all the other alternate motor vehicle technologies, it
runs into that energy density and convenient rapid refueling problem.
Liquid hydrocarbons are really hard to beat.

This compressor must have incredible cfm at lower pressures, no?

Probably not. It's a 4 stage compressor designed for high pressure, for
high volume at low pressure a single stage unit would surely be more
efficient.

What are these compressors used for? *Not* shop air, I gather.

Filling SCBA/SCUBA tanks is probably the most common application.

And, $4,500 doesn't seem bad. I think shop-type 80 gal Quincy's would be a
couple of grand, just for single stage.

It's a rebuilt unit that is probably 20+ years old, though it does have
new filters. These units are built like tanks though, so with some care
and the occasional repair part they cal last a very long time. A new
unit of similar specs costs $20k+. I'm hoping I can overhaul the one I
got, add the required filters, and switch it down to a 7.5HP motor for
perhaps $2k which is cheaper than buying a new small unit, and also a
fun project.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 28, 9:27*am, Ignoramus20172 ignoramus20...@NOSPAM.
20172.invalid wrote:
They use it for starting aircraft turbines

Must be a heck of an air starter....the standard military start carts
we use are less than 100 PSIG, but well over 50 SCFM... Some of the
Russian radials use ~800 PSIG air for starting.

One of the test facilities that I used to work in, had a 2000 PSIG at
3000 SCFM flow compressor for charging a storage bank. A single charge
on the bank would let us run up to 8 tests before having to recharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:32:38 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
nster.com...

Something around 17 CFM apparently with a 15 HP motor:
http://www.augustindustries.com/wort...2a4-p-547.html

Wow.... very inneresting!
I had no idea that was even possible!!
iirc, I think 15 cfm at 100 psi is what you see on larger shop-type
compressors.

That's 15 SCFM, in other words, the volume of the air when it's
expanded to atmospheric pressure at some standard temperature and
moisture content.

--
Ned Simmons