Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What does ABS and INC stand for in reference to a digital read out ona milling machine?

What does ABS and INC stand for in reference to a digital read out
used on a milling machine?

Thank you all in advance.

Rod
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:55:18 -0700 (PDT), rodjava
wrote:

What does ABS and INC stand for in reference to a digital read out
used on a milling machine?

Thank you all in advance.

Rod

ABS = Absolute. A dimension from a pre-ordained start point, and .
from which all dimensions are taken. . That
point is often called "center".

INC = Incremental. A dimension from the last point.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-20, rodjava wrote:
What does ABS and INC stand for in reference to a digital read out
used on a milling machine?

ABS Absolute -- that is referenced to a known start point on the
machine or the workpiece.

INC Incremental -- each move starts from where it is as 0, 0, 0
(X, Y, and Z), moved the specified distance, and then considers
where it has landed to be the 0, 0, 0 point for the next move.

Usually in CNC machine commands, though I could imagine using a
DRO in incremental mode for some projects.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian, Don,
Thanks for your help.
It's very clear to me now.

Rod

On 2008-10-20, rodjava wrote:

What does ABS and INC stand for in reference to a digital read out
used on a milling machine?

ABS * * Absolute -- that is referenced to a known start point on the
* * * * machine or the workpiece.

INC * * Incremental -- each move starts from where it is as 0, 0, 0
* * * * (X, Y, and Z), moved the specified distance, and then considers
* * * * where it has landed to be the 0, 0, 0 point for the next move.

* * * * Usually in CNC machine commands, though I could imagine using a
DRO in incremental mode for some projects.

* * * * Enjoy,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that rodjava
wrote on Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:55:18 -0700 (PDT)
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
What does ABS and INC stand for in reference to a digital read out
used on a milling machine?

ABS - absolute movement, from a set zero point. You move to "grid
location" x,y,z. Distance as the crow flies.
INC - incremental. Movement relative to where you are. You move
"over" in X, Y or Z. Distances if the crow has to walk and carry a
gas can.

ABS will tell you where you are, relative to where machine Zero is
set. INC will tell you where you are, relative to where you started
keeping track.

Switching these in a DRO will not get you in _as much_ trouble as
switching them when setting up the program. E.G., when you rapid a
head 12 inches in X thinking "move to X12 Y0" when the program is
already at (X6,Y0) and in INC mode ... can you say "Head Crash"boys
and girls? Knew the guy who did just that, and it destroyed the
machine - cost more to fix than the company figured it was worth.
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed

milling machine gilles Woodworking 6 February 17th 07 07:16 PM
Help on CNC Milling Machine Cliff Metalworking 0 December 29th 05 01:44 PM
Any great read or reference book - framing lower level? DJ Home Repair 0 January 27th 05 06:34 PM
FS: Stand, Milling Drilling Machine John A. Landry Metalworking 0 September 24th 03 12:09 AM