Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tungsten wear life?

Hi guys,

OK, a bit if a cheeky Subject to keep it metalworking oriented.

I have had a full beard for around 40 years. About 6 months back I
shaved it off and had been using a Braun electric razor up until a few
weeks back.

Since then, I have been using a disposable double blade (20 for 2-
bucks) for about 4 weeks and it still seems to cut fine. When I last
shaved 40-years back I seemed to recall changing blades in the old
Gillette screw handle every few days.

So, finally to the Subject, how do I tell when these disposable things
need tossing?

Every few days I take a single swipe with a new one and still cannot
tell the difference in cut or feeling.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
Hi guys,

OK, a bit if a cheeky Subject to keep it metalworking oriented.

I have had a full beard for around 40 years. About 6 months back I
shaved it off and had been using a Braun electric razor up until a few
weeks back.

Since then, I have been using a disposable double blade (20 for 2-
bucks) for about 4 weeks and it still seems to cut fine. When I last
shaved 40-years back I seemed to recall changing blades in the old
Gillette screw handle every few days.

So, finally to the Subject, how do I tell when these disposable things
need tossing?

Every few days I take a single swipe with a new one and still cannot
tell the difference in cut or feeling.

Dave

You'll notice the drag increasing. I get about two weeks out of a dirt-cheap
Gillette Good News. When I have to make all passes on a bias, I take out a
new one.

And if I'm out of them, I get out the strop and my straight razor and try to
remember to take it slow. I rub the 41-year-old scar on my right pinky as a
reminder. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Hi guys,

OK, a bit if a cheeky Subject to keep it metalworking oriented.

I have had a full beard for around 40 years. About 6 months back I
shaved it off and had been using a Braun electric razor up until a few
weeks back.

Since then, I have been using a disposable double blade (20 for 2-
bucks) for about 4 weeks and it still seems to cut fine. When I last
shaved 40-years back I seemed to recall changing blades in the old
Gillette screw handle every few days.

So, finally to the Subject, how do I tell when these disposable things
need tossing?

Every few days I take a single swipe with a new one and still cannot
tell the difference in cut or feeling.

I recently bought some Wilkinson Sword razor blades which have a kind of
ceramic coating. I've found that they last much longer than cheaper blades.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

And if I'm out of them, I get out the strop and my straight razor and try to
remember to take it slow. I rub the 41-year-old scar on my right pinky as a
reminder. d8-)

I have two of grandpa's straight razors. Been meaning to get the courage to try them.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:20:13 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

And if I'm out of them, I get out the strop and my straight razor and try to
remember to take it slow. I rub the 41-year-old scar on my right pinky as a
reminder. d8-)

I have two of grandpa's straight razors. Been meaning to get the courage to try them.

I used one for a couple years. They give -great- shaves. All you need
to be careful about is to pull the edge across your skin precisely
perpendicular to the length. If you start slicing, it starts slicing.
I gave it up because of the time it took to shave my miniscule amount
of fur. 12 minutes vs. 30 seconds with a Norelco. No contest, but the
closeness of the shave is no contest, either. The blade cut real
close. I keep one in my bathroom drawer and use it on occasion (when
I need a quick adrenaline rush.) g

I found a locally made (SoCal) shaving gel which worked really nicely.
The remainder has lasted forever but it's in a new container with no
label. I can't remember what it was called. It's slightly greener than
turquoise Aqua Velva. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120117.html

-- George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have two of grandpa's straight razors. Been meaning to get the courage
to try them.

Wes

I had a shave with a straight razor,from a barber in India about a year
ago. You negotiate the price on everything over there. I was pretty
discrete about how hard a bargain I drove with a guy who was about to wave a
fiendishly sharp piece of steel around my throat in just a few minutes. We
settled on about a buck and a half US. He used a disposable blade and opened
the packet where I could see it.. Very close shave .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 29, 1:48 am, "Grumpy" wrote:

I had a shave with a straight razor,from a barber in India about a year

That made me laugh, I had one in Asia November last year, but
fortunately there was no pre-cut negotiations.

It was a good shave and this guy used a new disposable blade too. I
also got the full ear cleaning treatment which lasted about 20
minutes. He had an interesting set if instruments, lotions and potions
for the the job. I swear I could hear better for days after that.

Thanks for the other information guys. I guess I'll keep using this
one until it stops giving a close shave or pulls too much.

Dave